Career Officer
# 11
11-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbusters View Post
But some players are stubborn and don't want a fleet or regular group and just carry on pugging all night long.

For me, i enjoy all the benefits of a fleet, I recommend it to anyone compliaining in DS9 Zone Chat about PUGs.
Zone chat ? It still exists ? I disabled that channel ages ago and never looked back.
Only Internet users deal in absolutes !
Lieutenant
# 12
11-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjunior View Post
Zone chat ? It still exists ? I disabled that channel ages ago and never looked back.
I still have it on because I'm a sucker for Gorn/Trill/Tribble jokes,
I'm the guy that uses unconventional builds, and don't fall to the normal. I also don't believe in "No-BS" crap, it's in the game, it's ready to be used. Think Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.

Last edited by blockbusters; 11-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Career Officer
# 13
11-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Tier 0 & 1 are not that hard to achieve though, considering Borg content such as red alerts will reward Omega marks (last I heard). So people could be tier 1 before hitting level 45 (and having normals open up).

*edited: posting in similar threads =/
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 11-02-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Tier 0 & 1 are not that hard to achieve though, considering Borg content such as red alerts will reward Omega marks (last I heard). So people could be tier 1 before hitting level 45 (and having normals open up).

*edited: posting in similar threads =/

Errm, nope. The reputation system doesn't become available until you reach Level 50 - so the point is somewhat redundant
Career Officer
# 15
11-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Errm, nope. The reputation system doesn't become available until you reach Level 50 - so the point is somewhat redundant
That point at least. =P
I'm still unconvinced with how unlocking a specific reputation tier will insure a higher proportion of quality players in STFs.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 16
11-02-2012, 08:49 AM
At one point in time, it was proposed that Elite STFs not become available until a player reached Tier 3 in the Omega Reputation. However, we decided not to pursue that option due to a few speed bumps we ran into:

- It would be difficult to allow for the 'grandfathering' of existing players. Setting it up, and determining the cutoff point, and all that. Finding a fair solution to allow for this was impeding the design process.

- Advancing in the Reputation system has hard time gates, but players can potentially learn faster. Meaning that an intelligent and well-prepared player may be fully Elite-capable in far less time than it might take to unlock Tier 3 Reputation (or even Tier 2).

- It could have led to queue confusion, as well as social roadblocks that could prevent friends from playing together.

- Limiting the content available to players is just a questionable philosophy of design in general, and should only really be done out of necessity. Generally speaking.

Ultimately, it was decided that such a restriction would not help players, or the system as a whole, sufficiently to warrant attempting to overcome these obstacles in time for the launch of Season 7.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 17
11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Limiting the content available to players is just a questionable philosophy of design in general, and should only really be done out of necessity. Generally speaking.
We can sort of see both sides of this position already, considering there is Romulan content that can only be accessed after achieving specific Romulan reputation tiers. The difference being, as you said, in the case of the Romulans, the restriction could be sufficiently warranted.

Last edited by nynik; 11-02-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 18
11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
We can sort of see both sides of this position already, considering there is Romulan content that can only be accessed after achieving specific Romulan reputation tiers.
That content was designed as a Reward for advancing your Reputation, and was not previously accessible prior to this system going live.

Quite a different ball of wax.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 19
11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
That content was designed as a Reward for advancing your Reputation, and was not previously accessible prior to this system going live.

Quite a different ball of wax.
something needs to be done with having to unlock elite differently it is a joke
sometimes infected elite 20min bad team of rookies no 12 2hrs
you can spend an hour on first gen easy and still have 4 nanites

then cure space normal what is with the raptors knifing through 12 maco
Career Officer
# 20
11-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
At one point in time, it was proposed that Elite STFs not become available until a player reached Tier 3 in the Omega Reputation. However, we decided not to pursue that option due to a few speed bumps we ran into:

- It would be difficult to allow for the 'grandfathering' of existing players. Setting it up, and determining the cutoff point, and all that. Finding a fair solution to allow for this was impeding the design process.

- Advancing in the Reputation system has hard time gates, but players can potentially learn faster. Meaning that an intelligent and well-prepared player may be fully Elite-capable in far less time than it might take to unlock Tier 3 Reputation (or even Tier 2).

- It could have led to queue confusion, as well as social roadblocks that could prevent friends from playing together.

- Limiting the content available to players is just a questionable philosophy of design in general, and should only really be done out of necessity. Generally speaking.

Ultimately, it was decided that such a restriction would not help players, or the system as a whole, sufficiently to warrant attempting to overcome these obstacles in time for the launch of Season 7.

Also
there are players with multiple alts that have never played an STF on Alt nr. 5 but are perfectly capable and equipped through the Account Bank to handle Elite STFs.

Not to mention that if you want to run with your friends, but have not unlocked the appropriate Tier yet that would force you to play queue missions... on normal... with PUGs.

That would be a very ALT unfriendly policy.

Not to mention that WE ALL will start at the bottom of the Rep System and would ALL be locked out of Elite STFs in the first few weeks/months. The first players who would get there would be pretty lonely at the Top for a while.