Lt. Commander
# 51
11-02-2012, 07:40 PM
@matthewfelix, and anyone else talking about the cap

I cant find the exact thread but this has been brought up and discussed before

As they prepare for season 8 (and they clearly have groundwork/designs drawn up already.) They've stated they will not be against increasing that cap. But before that happens the dev team needs NUMBERS and not from the test server. They'll need live server numbers. They need to know how much is being held in reserve, how much is being refined per day if the 8k is enough or if people are earning so much dilithium in a day that the cap actually needs to be raised to avoid an overtight bottleneck.

So i dont expect to see a cap increase right away. But i would not be surprised if two weeks after season 7 goes live they say, 'due to the numbers we're seeing we're raising the dilithium cap by X'

So please be paitent. They're defintely looking at it. The patch notes make it clear they're listening.
Career Officer
# 52
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw51825 View Post
@matthewfelix, and anyone else talking about the cap

I cant find the exact thread but this has been brought up and discussed before

As they prepare for season 8 (and they clearly have groundwork/designs drawn up already.) They've stated they will not be against increasing that cap. But before that happens the dev team needs NUMBERS and not from the test server. They'll need live server numbers. They need to know how much is being held in reserve, how much is being refined per day if the 8k is enough or if people are earning so much dilithium in a day that the cap actually needs to be raised to avoid an overtight bottleneck.

So i dont expect to see a cap increase right away. But i would not be surprised if two weeks after season 7 goes live they say, 'due to the numbers we're seeing we're raising the dilithium cap by X'

So please be paitent. They're defintely looking at it. The patch notes make it clear they're listening.
The problem with trying to gather data like that is that unless they have a way of keeping track of people who hit dilithium cap for the day and then stop gathering dilithium, then their numbers will be skewed towards no need to increase the cap. I'll freely admit that I tend to work to get to the cap and then I stop working on dilithium for the day, and either focus on Duty officer stuff or other things. The only time I tend to stack up a large reserve if when I help people out on elite STFs and end up doing like 6+ of them in a day after already hitting the dilithium refinement cap for the day. But once I hit daily cap I stop doing dailies to build more unrefined ore.
Career Officer
# 53
11-02-2012, 07:59 PM
One part of the notes I'm not clear on, well I'm clear but I'm not sure if it really means what I think it means.

I get that the operational asset dailies for the SB will not require departmental Doffs of white quality.

I get that T3 and up 1000xp daily missions will no longer require green doffs but have an increased value

But do upgrades all get changed to only white Doffs? We are very close to tier 4 SB, its going to need a lot of blue doffs. Personally I think that is fine (not with the new dil costs though) but will upgrades still require certain rarity doffs or are we going to need literally multiple thousands and thousands of white doffs? If so it seems kinda.. bland and pointless

There is something engaging about needing x many purple, blue, green security doffs to unlock the security officer, or to acquire the tier up of doff before you can unlock that department upgrade. A challenge is good, but a crazy clicking grind is a terrible idea.
Captain
# 54
11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
All white.

As for my thoughts.

A really good set of cost changes in the right general direction. However i still don't think it's enough where the space gear is concerened. It still adds upto a HUGE amount of dilithium if you change builds or want an alternate set. And when S8 hits, (this is when i figure we'll get the admrial rank and the extra ships call in), it's going to be way over the top. I'm also concerned by the scalars across Mk's. Ground gear bassiclly see it scale by 3 fold from MkX to MkXII. Space gear increases by less than double. This produces excessivklly expensive low Mk space sets. That alne even at 1 set only is going to be the single biggest slow down in the entire system.

Also they've said no dil cap rise before S8. Though it's on the cards for S8 and that may be their anwser to the multi-gearing issue.

The SB changes are really nice as well in one respect. But honestly iof your going to do this. Just remove the upgrinders completly. With all the dilithium sinks we have it's just completly impossibble to justify spending anything on them or general recruitment packs. The cost vs reward in comparision is just not going to be worth it in comparision to the rep systems alone. And most cashuals are going to be grinding the rep systems till S8 anyway IMHO, so even for those without SB's, there isn;t going to be the dil to spare to justify it.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Romulan Reputation:
Updated the description for all of the Romulan Tier unlocks.
Updated costs for Romulan Projects.
All Mk XI Rare Space Set Projects
Romulan Mark cost increased from 120 to 250
Dilithium cost reduced from 50000 to 13500
All Mk XII Rare Space Set Projects
Romulan Mark cost increased from 180 to 500
Dilithium cost reduced from 60000 to 18000
All Mk XII Very Rare Space Set Projects
Romulan Mark cost increased from 240 to 750
Dilithium cost reduced from 72000 to 32000
Romulan Singularity Harness "Alt Set" Projects
Romulan Mark cost increased to 500 per piece
Dilithium Cost reduced to 15000 per piece
Now BranFlakes when I said I had 500 Romulan Marks collecting dust I did not mean raise the roof on mark cost, but I am glad for the lower dilthium requirements. Also the 2 hour commodity, Consumable, and Store Unlocks is very nice. Any chance we might see a lower requirement of doffs on the hanger pet scorpion fighters 30 eng and ops doffs seems a bit excessive. In the end I am very happy to see the Reputation system move into the right direction.

Commander
# 56
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I do feel I should point out, that your Dilithium cost per piece on MK XII project with dilithium nerf undo any chance of this system take less time. In fact I would guess considerably more. At 480 per elite run 34k per piece that is 70.8 runs per piece. That is a seriously bad business. Or 425 runs for two complete mk XII sets. Now for those who already have the gear this really wont be so bad. But for newbies I don't like it. Look at the math real closely, its not pretty.

Last edited by maliusnight; 11-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Ensign
# 57
11-02-2012, 10:35 PM
just to clear things up for people here is the math on the new system. This information is based on posts from the devs

Dil costs:
dil amount to unlock t5 - 82k
dil amount for 3 piece maco mkxii (etc) set - 34000ea x3 = 102k
dil amount for borg mkxii weapons 30k ea (est) x7 (or 8) = 210k+
total dil amount for complete borg set = 394k

Days needed refining your entire 8k dil daily cap = 49+

Dil needed to get current set.... 0

Time:
Minimum time needed to unlock t5- 60 days
(This is regardless of how many hours you might play per week)

Also add in the fact that there are no random loot drops anymore so you no longer will earn EC from these events.

How some of you think this system is fair is beyond me, especially for those who have already done the grind.
Commander
# 58
11-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Those are some very startling figures DJ. Well put. Given that the unlocks do provide other advantages I'm prepared to pay for rep gain, but I have to agree the end gear cost needs to ether drop or the rewards need to rise. 400k Dilithium plus 60 days to reach the point we are basically at right now, then another 40 hours x6 pieces so another 10 days to actually unlock set gear nor including ship weapons. So 70 Days of effort at-least. How can that be a 60% decrease on the amount of time it takes to collect a set by the current grind system? That is all assuming you can collect all the require dilithium, DoFF, Commodities, and miscellaneous items perfectly on time, which is pretty unlikely for most folks, I would say 90 days is a safe figure for most folks.
Starfleet Veteran
# 59
11-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl View Post
Love the starbase project requirement changes. I have been holding off on several projects waiting for something to change. It actually seems doable now for my small fleet. I am also not troubled anymore by the changes to the doff personnel pricing either now.
I'll still take a wait and see approach but this is the first good news from the DEVs on the DOFF changes at SFA. I hope the trade off relieves some of the harsh grind that small fleets were/are feeling.

The dilithium costs of projects upgrading to Tier 3 and above are still troubling, but if you don't have to squander dil. on the DOFF grinder to find hard to get DOFFs for projects, that is at least progress.
--
No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
Starfleet Veteran
# 60
11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eristhevorta View Post
Wow, so now we only need white duffs and only departemental ones? And up to now it was such a grind? Those who haven't started a fleet yet, start one now. This is awesome! The best change ever. Actually I wouldn't have minded to put in green, blue or even purrple duffs if they were NOT of a special kind like "transporter officer" or "security officer". Now I can milk even more white duff EC winnings out of the bonus duffs I get (tribble rewards etc.) when I create a new character. Thank you!

And yayness for ITH Space.
Yes, this was (conditionally) good news and a relief for small fleets hitting the brick wall of upgrading to Tier 3 and above.

Conditionally = it doesn't mean that 240 green DOFFs needed to upgrade to Tier 3 base now becomes 24,000 or 240,000 white commons (it could happen).

The dilithium costs for tier 2 to 3 and above may still be daunting for small fleets, which will make some stuff out of reach or put on hold. Each alt grinding reputation will further dilute materials, doffs and dilithium.
--
No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?