Lieutenant
# 11
11-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
Social interaction is dictated by the idea that people wish to interact socially. The social interaction on DS9, ESD, Drozana, or wherever only exists because the players wish to interact. That is not going to change due to removing the need to go to DS9 to buy something. The people who want to be social will be, and the people who do not want to be social will not be. It is really just that simple.

We should also take into account that virtually everything you do at end-game requires you to do so in a team environment. If people do not wish to interact beyond that they should not be required to. Forcing me to go to DS9 does not mean I need to talk to anyone while there; and, in fact, few players do. Most of us are talking on ventrillo or teamspeak or some other service when we really want to spend our time socialize in game.
True and valid arguments. And I'm not disagreeing with this.

Someone else hit this, but its the immersive feeling that is missing. The genre that STO is in (MMORPG) is that its to give you the feeling that you are the character in the universe that it puts you in. STO used to give you that feeling more so in the past that it does now.
Captain
# 12
11-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdang View Post
Someone else hit this, but its the immersive feeling that is missing. The genre that STO is in (MMORPG) is that its to give you the feeling that you are the character in the universe that it puts you in. STO used to give you that feeling more so in the past that it does now.
I would say that STO is quite true to most of Trek: one ship, one crew, alone against the universe. That is predominately what Star Trek is about. In that regard it is immersive to the IP.

If STO is feeling less emmersive to you now it is not because of queues; and it is certainly not because of not needing to go to DS9 to buy something in season 7; as that is not even in the game yet. It is because you have grown bored with STO. All the forced teaming and all the visits to DS9, ESD, and everywhere else is not going to change that. The game is essentially the same it has always been: only socialize and interact if you want to. You have changed.
Ensign
# 13
11-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Hmm Social Interaction a funnny problem here in STO.

Today i was in Eve Online playing some time , mining, talking wiht other people, producing things and killing some npc pirates.

During this time i had really a feeling of a space game, large space areas but still populatet some more then others.

During this Mining Operation another player warped in targetting me and destroyed my ship (and all people who know eve, also know that can sometimes be really expensive), but no hard feelings, some smalltalk in chat some jokes.

For me main problem here in STO is, all areas are far too small, only connectet through loading screens (dont understand that really, in eve as example i have also loading screens but only screens taht need some seconds before its ready).
And also in this social Areas here in STO you dont have really something to do, only runnign around talkiong again and again with the same NPC only to see that you need to grind some more to get something is not helpfull for social interactions.
Trades between players, only with some items most of the things is bound on pickup or bound on use or something similiar.

For me STO looks more like a "rush to Max lvl leave out as much as possible content (we dont have much content really), and then wait until you can grind something to get something else that could help you ), so really whats the reason in sto for social interactions?

PVP? No not really its broken and unbalanced.
Missions? No not really, most missions are solo content wihtout need for other people.
Trading? No not really we have exchange and pricing are totally nuts for most items.

And also theres anotehr thing, i played many different MMOS some with a good community some with a bad community, the community here in STO is not bad, but nobody really cares about someone else.

As example, i comming back to sto shortly after the fleet actions launched, so i didnt know them, i queued for one of them, and i told the team directly its first time for me, and asked if tehre is something special to know about them, and yep i really got 0 answer nothing nada. And thats something thats really bad for a MMO, if nobody cares about another and nobody takes time to explain some little things or answers a question, then somethings wrong.

So yes STO really has not many social interaction but not everythign is cryptics fault, some of this problems are also caused by the players itself.

And for roleplayers uhm what does STO offer for roleplayers? not really something , or i simply didnt find it since release of STO. Sure you can interact with other people but thats it, your ship bridges are only eye candy nothing really for roleplaying on stations you also cant do much for roleplaying. Sure i can run stand on drazona station and think the permanent blue lighning is some sort of disco effect createt by the special blue lights inside the station, and standing there at the dabo table but uhm for what? Yep again grinding nothing else.
I dont find ANYTHING in sto thats not leveling or grinding.

For me this game need some real improvements.

1. Larger areas fewer loading screens.
2. Real Social interactions not only some chat emotes with sound effect.
3. Mini Games you can play for fun against other players, not to get more dilitum, energy credits, marks of something, loby crystals or something like that.
4. fewer grind and more real content
5. Content that you can play together and that need some team play and tactic
Lieutenant
# 14
11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
I would say that STO is quite true to most of Trek: one ship, one crew, alone against the universe. That is predominately what Star Trek is about. In that regard it is immersive to the IP.

If STO is feeling less emmersive to you now it is not because of queues; and it is certainly not because of not needing to go to DS9 to buy something in season 7; as that is not even in the game yet. It is because you have grown bored with STO. All the forced teaming and all the visits to DS9, ESD, and everywhere else is not going to change that. The game is essentially the same it has always been: only socialize and interact if you want to. You have changed.
Thats actually not what I'm saying, nor is that what I feel. I respect your viewpoint.
Captain
# 15
11-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Social interaction is dictated by the idea that people wish to interact socially. The social interaction on DS9, ESD, Drozana, or wherever only exists because the players wish to interact. That is not going to change due to removing the need to go to DS9 to buy something. The people who want to be social will be, and the people who do not want to be social will not be. It is really just that simple.

We should also take into account that virtually everything you do at end-game requires you to do so in a team environment. If people do not wish to interact beyond that they should not be required to. Forcing me to go to DS9 does not mean I need to talk to anyone while there; and, in fact, few players do. Most of us are talking on ventrillo or teamspeak or some other service when we really want to spend our time socialize in game.
----------------------------------

I'm sorry I didn't explain my thoughts clearly my bad

My statement of poor social interaction and vendors
Ment that a npc vendor I'n the first place is bad for social interaction
I'n the first place and now that's going away I'n si far as it drew
People together sovthey could interact

The first 3 years of Star wars galaxies had a player driven economy
Anything you needed you had to get from another player

You developed a relationship with your local or guild vendors

Many player created missions revolved around getting
The elite resources these merchants needed so us pvpers
Could pwn each other.
It went much deeper though
We build player citys , clothing weapons armor starships
Basically everything we got.

Some players were hunters supplying chefs and tailors
Some ran. Mineral extractors supplying weapons smiths

Ect ect ect all of this caused and required a lot of player
Interaction amd it was very fun and was excellent end game content

It's a pity this game didn't copy that model it was the best
Mmo I have ever played
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Captain
# 16
11-04-2012, 01:14 AM
There is always a hub. If its not the DS9 gear vendor it will be New Romulus because of the new quest grind there. I'm not seeing any issue.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptviper78 View Post
And also theres anotehr thing, i played many different MMOS some with a good community some with a bad community, the community here in STO is not bad, but nobody really cares about someone else.

As example, i comming back to sto shortly after the fleet actions launched, so i didnt know them, i queued for one of them, and i told the team directly its first time for me, and asked if tehre is something special to know about them, and yep i really got 0 answer nothing nada. And thats something thats really bad for a MMO, if nobody cares about another and nobody takes time to explain some little things or answers a question, then somethings wrong.

So yes STO really has not many social interaction but not everythign is cryptics fault, some of this problems are also caused by the players itself.

And for roleplayers uhm what does STO offer for roleplayers? not really something , or i simply didnt find it since release of STO. Sure you can interact with other people but thats it, your ship bridges are only eye candy nothing really for roleplaying on stations you also cant do much for roleplaying. Sure i can run stand on drazona station and think the permanent blue lighning is some sort of disco effect createt by the special blue lights inside the station, and standing there at the dabo table but uhm for what? Yep again grinding nothing else.
I dont find ANYTHING in sto thats not leveling or grinding.

For me this game need some real improvements.

1. Larger areas fewer loading screens.
2. Real Social interactions not only some chat emotes with sound effect.
3. Mini Games you can play for fun against other players, not to get more dilitum, energy credits, marks of something, loby crystals or something like that.
4. fewer grind and more real content
5. Content that you can play together and that need some team play and tactic
You are right, is a pity that no one cares to make this game more social.
Captain
# 18
11-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdang View Post
Thats actually not what I'm saying, nor is that what I feel. I respect your viewpoint.
I think you should read your own post. You are the one who wrote: "STO used to give you that feeling more so in the past that it does now."

Nothing mechanical has changed in STO to make it less social. The reasons you might go to ESD or DS9 are the same today as they were on the day the game launched: to get items and services you cannot get on your ship.

Since launch STO has added many more social zones: captain's table, drozana, academy, Bajor, and so on. While the game has not added more reasons to be in social zones it has clearly added more of those zones. The fact that people do not wish to socialize in them is no different today then it is at launch.

If you feel people are less social in STO today then in the past that is a personal perspective you have. It has nothing to do with how the game has mechanically changed. I find people in the game to be as chatty or leave me alone as they always have been: the ones who want to chat will chat and the ones who want to be left alone will do their own thing.
Captain
# 19
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
It's a pity this game didn't copy that model it was the best
Mmo I have ever played
I am in a fleet full of people who are contantly on ventrillo. We talk all the time we are playing, even when we are not teamed. If I need some item for crafting it will generally be in my email a few minutes after I mention it; and the same for others. If I need a contraband to start my 2,000 dilithium mission, it shows up.

In a game where you have fleets building toward common goals the idea that I need to interact with strangers to get something seems pointless. And, like I said above, everything someone does at end-game requires teaming: fleet actions, fleet events, stfs, defera, and so on; with more teaming events coming in season 7.

Since you can get to VA in a week it is almost impossible to not be forced to socialize and work together with others in this game. I would go so far as to say that the game is forcing us to socialize even when we do not wish to, because the only way we can get the STF gear, or the upcoming Reputation gear, is by socializing. Cryptic's forcing us to be an mmo even if we want to be srpg players.
Lieutenant
# 20
11-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
I think you should read your own post. You are the one who wrote: "STO used to give you that feeling more so in the past that it does now."

Nothing mechanical has changed in STO to make it less social. The reasons you might go to ESD or DS9 are the same today as they were on the day the game launched: to get items and services you cannot get on your ship.

Since launch STO has added many more social zones: captain's table, drozana, academy, Bajor, and so on. While the game has not added more reasons to be in social zones it has clearly added more of those zones. The fact that people do not wish to socialize in them is no different today then it is at launch.

If you feel people are less social in STO today then in the past that is a personal perspective you have. It has nothing to do with how the game has mechanically changed. I find people in the game to be as chatty or leave me alone as they always have been: the ones who want to chat will chat and the ones who want to be left alone will do their own thing.
I dont belive anyone here is arguing against your opinion. So responding to their posts as if their opinions do not matter is disrespectful. What I ment by my statement, "Thats not what I'm saying..." is that I believe you are taking my statement out of context and not hearing the essence of what im saying.

I'm happy that your gaming experience in STO is good. So is mine. I too, am in a fleet. I too team with others when running team missions.

But, like you said, this is MY personal perspective. Disagree if you like, because your points are valid. But please do so with respect to others opinions.

Last edited by cptdang; 11-04-2012 at 08:27 AM.