Lieutenant
# 121
10-20-2012, 03:01 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray

Last edited by askray; 10-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Career Officer
# 122
10-20-2012, 03:07 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray
Joined August 2008

Last edited by askray; 10-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 123
10-20-2012, 05:48 AM

Last edited by askray; 10-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Commander
# 124
10-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Last edited by askray; 10-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Republic Veteran
You cannot simply ignore a problem and hope it goes away.

The chat ban system is too easy to abuse and has entirely too many false positives to be allowed to continue as it is. It needs to be changed, eliminated, or to have an employee throw the chat ban switch.

I understand and accept that moderators are just going to sweep this into a closed thread and silence what I have said by "editing the content". It still must be said and we cannot shut up about it so long as this griefer tool remains in place.
Career Officer
# 126
10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Wow, I just saw what they did to your other thread, what they did to the last four posts is particularly ironic.
Joined August 2008
Career Officer
# 127
10-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Try to understand. You're asking them to do their jobs. What did you expect?

Sad thing is, that's partially true. It's a crappy system. On many levels. At the very least, incomplete. It's the strongest supporting piece of evidence for arguments against introducing vote-kicks or other vote-mechanisms in game. The problem is, there's no proper appeals system. Mainly (I think) cause all the GMs are in one timezone, trying to deal in eight hours with the tickets sent in across twenty-four. Worse still right after the weekend. So in a strange way, they may even be trying to be egalitarian about the whole thing by ignoring the tickets, as "it's only 24 hours" and they can really only help a quarter to half the people this happens to, within any reasonable timeframe, as there's no one to answer the others that happen while they're asleep. (Any coffee breaks that might be extended as a result of such a policy would just be a happy accident, of course.)

The system really should have someone on at every hour, and record A) what messages of yours have been flagged as spam (shown to the player by some means) and B) who all flagged these messages (the flagged players needs not see this, but the GM must). There where the flagged player is shown what he's done wrong, there should be an instant appeal button. No text field required. It should be marked as urgent, so pushed to the top of the stack, and they shouldn't take a GM more than a passing glance to determine whether or not there's profanity, highly confrontational language, EC-seller spam or rather than one fleet recruitment message flagged five or ten times by different people, a large number of identical recruitment messages flagged by different people across a fairly short time.

Add a button to Overturn Channel-ban or Reject Appeal, and you're basically done.

I think we can safely assume that any player who's shown a message of his own full of swearing, an overzealous recruiter shown five of his own standard recruitment message timestamped with barely two minutes between the first and the last, or any gold-seller who's more inclined to just create a new character or account anyway, aren't going to bother with the appeal process, so it shouldn't actually swamp the GMs with appeals...

And if by any chance the problem is as institutional as it's sometimes protrayed to be, and it does happen at such alarming frequency that it'd keep GMs or a GM from any other work, we may just need to think about sanctions for abusing the system. I think a minimum of a taste of their own medicine, and an infraction, might be in order.

Lastly, I don't know what was in there... I can't imagine what might have been in four consequetive posts in that last thread that could've warranted this kind of white-walling... But because I can't imagine, cause there's not a single clue, and considering the nature of the thread, it looks extremely bad for Cryptic.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 10-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 128 Silenced For No Reason!!!!
11-03-2012, 04:25 PM
I logged into Tribble today for the test weekend. In the TTS channel I typed:

"any devs on?"

Shortly after someone said I had just missed them. I responded (or try to):

"I wanted to comment about the boff rarity display. guess I'll make a forum post"

But I never saw that message. I pressed up-arrow to send it again but again it didn't display. I was queued for an STF which started, so I forgot about it for awhile.

After I got out of the STF I tried to comment that I'd received no dilithium despite finishing the STF and the optional, only to see the message in the system tab that I had been silenced.

WHY??!?!?

-Forjo
Join Date: Aug 2008 -------------------- My oldest post (that I can find)
Location: Houston, TX ------------------ Former Cryptic User #11424

Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
Starfleet Veteran
It happened to me today. I filed a ticket, created a thread, and it was moved to a closed thread with lots of others who have had the same problem.

I'm very upset right now. I've been victimized in-game and the powers that be DON'T CARE and WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

THIS IS HORRIBLE customer service.

This post will probably get moved too -- or deleted. But hopefully not before a few people see it.

This is wrong. Paying customers shouldn't be treated this way.

-Forjo
Join Date: Aug 2008 -------------------- My oldest post (that I can find)
Location: Houston, TX ------------------ Former Cryptic User #11424

Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
Career Officer
# 130
11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah this system needs to be changed.

The very worst part is your only recourse is to file a GM ticket which isn't even looked at until the ban is lifted. So since you can't communicate, it's basically a (usually wrong) 24 hour vacation from STO. The GM closes your ticket and moves on.

There are good reasons for the system to exist, as gold spammers are still in STO in this day and age. But the bottom line is it doesn't work well. It won't silence people who are spamming Zone with incessant posts of equipment but it will silence those who are just chatting normally.

Fix the system before you impose it on us, please. Mods if you're going to close it fine, but please make sure Brandon and the GM team sees this thread and commits to having it addressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.