Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 97
# 301
11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I have an orb weiver, Hoping to trade for a D'kora, but will settle for anything honestly.
Any takers?
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
Hello,

I am looking to purchase the following ships hopefully reasonably below the Exchange pricing.

Tholian Orb Weaver
Ferengi D'kor

Please pm me with pricings at Jumong@Monopolist

Last edited by gounkim; 11-04-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
# 303
11-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Please don't use the forums for the buying and selling of items.....

As for your request:

That's not how it works.

If I have a galor and the going price on the exchange is 80m, why would I sell it to you for less?

You haven't said anything that would prompt or compel anyone to agree to sell to you.

Last edited by amlross; 11-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
# 304
11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlross View Post
Please don't use the forums for the buying and selling of items.....

As for your request:

That's not how it works.

If I have a galor and the going price on the exchange is 80m, why would I sell it to you for less?

You haven't said anything that would prompt anyone to agree to sell to you.
Most likely this thread will be locked since I didn't do the due diligence in posting policies. My sincere apologies for the trouble.

On the other hand, your argument is unreasonable. Obviously you have no idea how the market works. STO has an archaic auction system where the prices are "determined" solely by the suppliers/sellers. How is it that 80M is the "market price" when that same price is determined by the very seller, determined to make profit?

You are basically telling me to go to a car dealership, never question about the pricings, and buy the lowest listed price car provided by the dealer because "since his quoted price is the market price!" Only a fool would do that.

I have legitimate reasons to expect lower pricing since the Exchange only reflects supplier's side.

Last edited by gounkim; 11-04-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
# 305
11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caemgen View Post
I have a spare D'kora I will gladly offload for a Galor, a Wells, just about any ship. Reply, PM or in-game me.
I am interested in trading my Wells. Message me at:

Jumong@Monopolist ingame.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,625
# 306
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gounkim View Post
You are basically telling me to go to a car dealership, never question about the pricings, and buy the lowest listed price car provided by the dealer because "since his quoted price is the market price!" Only a fool would do that.
Dont compare apples and oranges.

First, dealerships get their supply the manufacturer ... I will not go into details as it would be long and boring (and even wrong at places as I dont know that much about it) but prices ARE streamlined to some degree since the prices ARE set by the manufacturer, they are not going to haggle for it even if they might have a bit of a wiggle room for extras, I dont know what country are you from by cars ads in my country have the minimum price on then and they are being paid by the manufacturers, not the dealerships.

A Lockbox ship is not a car, you are not buying a used starship with 47,000 lightyears under the hood either ... you are buying rare item that can only be find by random low chance in a expensive lottery system, also one that is currently not available so this is like you asking if you can buy a Limited Production Ferrari at the price you want, not the price the owner feels rights.

And only a fool would do that because right now only way you can get a D'Kora is from the exchange and if they are being sold at 70-80 million mark why would they sell it lower? If there are buyers for it they would be losing money if they would be selling under the exchange prices since, that IS the market price.

Edot:

/Sorry for the highjack and offtopic about this.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
# 307
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Dont compare apples and oranges.

First, dealerships get their supply the manufacturer ... I will not go into details as it would be long and boring (and even wrong at places as I dont know that much about it) but prices ARE streamlined to some degree since the prices ARE set by the manufacturer, they are not going to haggle for it even if they might have a bit of a wiggle room for extras, I dont know what country are you from by cars ads in my country have the minimum price on then and they are being paid by the manufacturers, not the dealerships.

A Lockbox ship is not a car, you are not buying a used starship with 47,000 lightyears under the hood either ... you are buying rare item that can only be find by random low chance in a expensive lottery system, also one that is currently not available so this is like you asking if you can buy a Limited Production Ferrari at the price you want, not the price the owner feels rights.

And only a fool would do that because right now only way you can get a D'Kora is from the exchange and if they are being sold at 70-80 million mark why would they sell it lower? If there are buyers for it they would be losing money if they would be selling under the exchange prices since, that IS the market price.

Edot:

/Sorry for the highjack and offtopic about this.
STO uses an archaic exchange system where the demand side is not fully reflected in its pricing. Obviously you are not quite sure how the exchange works in real life or else, you wouldn't be here, mumbling about your nonsense. Just because the lowest listed price on the Exchange is 70M doesn't necessarily mean that is the "market price" of the stated good. Since there is no way for us to establish a "buy-order," the lowest price still does not input the actual signal from the buyer.

Your argument makes perfect sense if we are talking about common goods that are exchanged by thousands every day on the Exchange, but we are talking about rare goods here that barely move in trade volumes. In this instance, it makes it even more difficult to gouge actual market price since there isn't much trading history/precedent prices to begin with.

There are sellers who are not inclined to wait for days to get his D'kor sold after posting a sell-order for more than two weeks. Just because I just bought Tholian Orb Weaver for 30M (lowest Exchange price 38.5M) doesn't mean I scammed him. He didn't sell it for 38.5M because he was literally sick of waiting for someone to buy the Orb for two freaken weeks.

That also applies to the Galor that I just purchased because seller knew that the listed price of 75M is not going to sell anytime soon.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
# 308
11-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't understand why you think the system is archaic.

Prices reflect the demand and availability of these ships.

Not long ago the jem'hadar bug was going for 400m + but since release of the doff pack there is an influx of bugs on the exchange and the drop to 200m reflects that.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I still don't understand why someone would sell a ship to you for less if they can sell it for more on the exchange.

They would simply be doing it as a kindness to you.

You can't just decide that the market price of these ships should be less (because you don't have the EC they are going for on the exchange )

I suppose if someone is in a hurry to sell something they can sell it for a lot less. But again, they can just put it up on the exchange.

Its up to you to check in from time to time.

I've found a few nice items dirt cheap before. Not sure if they made a mistake with the zeros (lol) or just didn't care.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,562
# 309
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlross View Post
Please don't use the forums for the buying and selling of items.....

As for your request:

That's not how it works.

If I have a galor and the going price on the exchange is 80m, why would I sell it to you for less?

You haven't said anything that would prompt or compel anyone to agree to sell to you.
No offense but your post (especially the last line) is the kind of nonsense that pops up in zone chat almost every time someone makes a trade offer .
Ppl with no interest what so ever in the trade show up and give their unsolicited negative opinions .

If ppl want to trade , it's not your business unless you yourself want to participate in said trade .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
# 310
11-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I understand your viewpoint.

When I wrote that post I was thinking "so F'ing tired of people trying to buy and sell **** in both the forums AND the in game chat window"

I still feel that way. My view is, if you want to buy or sell something use the exchange. That's what it's there for.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 PM.