Lieutenant
# 1 Request: Bridge Navigation
11-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I'd really like to be able to navigate sector space from the bridge. Since most of the action in the Star Trek Series occurred on the bridge, being able to navigate my ship from the bridge would greatly add to the "Star Trek" feel of the game.
Ensign
# 2
11-05-2012, 12:41 AM
That would be great. All sector space travel should be controlled from the bridge.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Captain
# 3
11-05-2012, 05:05 AM
This has been asked for before and apparently it's beyond the game engine's capability. Remember that your bridge is a discrete "ground" map with your character's costume as an officer in uniform, in space the map is the sector you are in and your character's costume is the ship itself. In order to have control of the ship in space while on the bridge would require 2 maps running simultaneously, literally 2 overlapping instances of the game client running at the same time.
Lieutenant
# 4
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Why couldn't they just have the ship transwarp to the new location when you leave the bridge?
Captain
# 5
11-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Only players with certain types of ships or high diplomacy rating have transwarp destinations other than home/fleet base.
The only compromise I could see that would allow bridge navigation would be one with a static bridge layout, you would not be able to move around on the bridge or interact with it in any way, the bridge scene would just be a "fixed" window frame for the main view screen.
Given the very narrowed field of view such an arrangement would afford it would not be of much use beyond basic navigation.
Ensign
# 6
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Why couldn't they have you on your bridge for the time it now takes to get to place B from place A. For example, I am going from ESD to DS9. That takes time, an average of which, granting there are faster and slower ships, could be worked out, or simply assigned by the devs.

You leave ESD and, for example, it takes an average of 2.5 minutes to travel to DS9. For 2.5 minutes you would be on your bridge, interacting with your bridge crew in a short, timed mission.

When the time has elapsed, a prompt comes up for you to either dock at DS9, or not, and be deposited in your ship just outside the system.

Seems like that could be within the game's functionality. It's just a timed mission and a destination map change.

Eve
Career Officer
# 7
11-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Most likely, as far as They are concerned, there isn't enough demand for Bridge View Navigation...

Most players enjoy flying their ship from sector to sector as is.

And it has been stated many, Many times by the DStahl, that the game was designed from the outset to function in this manner...

It Is NOT in Their interests to go back to the drawing board to change this.

If They don't see a profit in it..., it's probable that it won't be done.

<shrug>
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 11-08-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Lieutenant
# 8
11-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve1964 View Post
Why couldn't they have you on your bridge for the time it now takes to get to place B from place A. For example, I am going from ESD to DS9. That takes time, an average of which, granting there are faster and slower ships, could be worked out, or simply assigned by the devs.

You leave ESD and, for example, it takes an average of 2.5 minutes to travel to DS9. For 2.5 minutes you would be on your bridge, interacting with your bridge crew in a short, timed mission.

When the time has elapsed, a prompt comes up for you to either dock at DS9, or not, and be deposited in your ship just outside the system.

Seems like that could be within the game's functionality. It's just a timed mission and a destination map change.

Eve
I've advocated for this years ago. There's really no reason you can't have an optional system in place from either the drop down menu that might say 'Bridge Command Mode' or have it be select-able from the standard bridge interior linked to the Captain's chair. An Interact that might say 'Command Mode'. This would put you in an instance of your bridge but with Interact buttons on the right that gives commands similar to the Bridge Commander video game of old.

"All systems online.", "Status Report", blah blah. Basically something really simple just to give the feel of actually being on the bridge. Then have a separate "Nav" option that brings up a mini-game style window (not unlike the Galaxy map on SWTOR) that would allow you to navigate and select from an astrometrics chart, your destination. It would be time based. You select warp and the timer starts. Have some sort of mini-game to pass the time, or better yet, some special "in route" doff missions to mess around with. When the timer runs out, your Nav officer says we've reached our destination and you'll have the option to exit command mode (bringing you back to either your normal bridge interior or your ship view at the system of your choosing).

Icing on the cake: Be able to invite your friends into that instance and travel with you. When you all select to leave, you all go to the same system. Finally a way to travel with your friends. (For roleplay just assume your First Officer is in command of your ship and you're all warping in tandem.)

I also think it would be cool to expand on that by having a Comm mini-game style window open that allows you to hail or open communications with a friend (just like a /tell) that shows their character on the viewscreen (or standard boff pop-up window) talking.

It's the little details that make games like this great. I can remember hours on SWG just decorating or looking at decorations, or doing menial tasks just out of enjoyment. Immersion is everything when it comes to making someone log in over and over for years to come. That's how you profit.

Last edited by lexsan82; 11-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Captain
# 9
11-09-2012, 10:29 AM
There are also legal constraints, if elements of the game are too similar to another, the game could be in violation of another developers copyrights. Everything incorporated in the game has to be approved by the franchises license holder, so changes can't be made without considerable legal groundwork.
If this were an element of the game that everyone was forced to use then there might be reason to expand on what can be done from the bridge, for instance, warping out to sector space puts you automatically in bridge view navigation mode, given that you can't do anything but navigate it would be ideal for a bridge view command system since sector navigation is the most visually uninteresting aspect of the game. Unfortunately, the fact is ship interiors are for the most part optional and with few exceptions the game is entirely playable without going to the bridge. This game is not, nor will it ever be, Star Trek Bridge Commander, that is a different game and with so many other outstanding issues that need attention in this game, redesigning the game client to add something that would only be of interest to a few isn't ever likely to be a consideration.
Republic Veteran
# 10
11-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I've been asking for this since Beta. According to Cryptic they are unable to do it. What gets me is there were games that were created in the mid 2000's that had it and you could still talk with people in your zone, whispers, guild etc.
It comes down to the game engine. It is not capable of doing that. And what gets me: Star Trek takes place mainly on the bridge.