Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Career Officer
This question is for any dev willing to answer.

The new Omega Adapted Set cutting beam & torpedo both have multiple [DMG] modifiers on them (x3 and x2 respectively)

The Fleet weapons all have [DMG]x3.

Many dilithium store & crafted items have [DMG] modifier or [DMG]x2.

The Vesta Aux DHC also has [DMG]x2 modifiers.

It is also largely considered the worst possible modifier.

I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate for PvE content (it's certainly not as good as multiple CrtH or CrtD modifiers), but it's true for PvP certainly.

It's also, as modifiers go, pretty boring.

Why do we continue to see [DMG] modifier, and in many cases [DMG] x2 or x3 added to all kinds of new weapons?

Is it intended for these weapons to be mediocre by design, as a stepping stone towards getting weapons off the exchange or lucky drops?

Or do the devs have some other reason they consider [DMG] to be more valuable than the playerbase does?

Last edited by ussultimatum; 11-05-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Captain
# 2
11-05-2012, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Is it intended for these weapons to be mediocre by design, as a stepping stone towards getting weapons off the exchange or lucky drops?
You pretty much answered your own question here. These weapons have to be purple quality but Cryptic can't let them be stupid overpowered with multiple Acc or Crit modifiers, so they go with the easy underpowered Dmg option so players who can't afford a Vesta or fleet weapons or quad cannons won't cry too much about it.

Last edited by fulleatherjacket; 11-05-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
11-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
...so players who can't afford a Vesta or fleet weapons or quad cannons won't cry too much about it.
Except it's being, or has previously been, added to nearly every endgame weapon available.

* Omega Adapted set weapons
* Fleet weapons
* Dilithium store weapons
* Crafted weapons
* Ship specific weapons such as Spiral Wave Disruptors & Aux DHCs

If you're unable to attain any of those, you are also probably unable to attain anything top end from the exchange as well.

That also does not answer my question because it's purely speculation on your part and mine. Without a direct developer comment, neither of us will ever really know the design intent.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 11-05-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Commander
# 4
11-05-2012, 04:42 AM
In reality I think it is so that you get an apparent power increase without them having to raise the "MK" or the level cap.

Its fuel for the power creep thats all. And thats a bad thing.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
11-05-2012, 05:38 AM
I'm not even sure I believe that [dmg] is the worst modifier available, and I think everyone just jumps on that bandwagon and believes it when it seems to go against my experience.

Everyone seems to think that [acc] are the best because when you're maxed out in accuracy, they give you more critical procs, which will increase your DPS more than a sustained [dmg] modifier - but when I've been testing out new weapons setups and examing my battle log afterwards, [dmg]x3[crtD] fleet weapons have outperformed [dmg]x3[acc] weapons when specced for crits.

[dmg]x3 also outperforms [acc]x2 [dmg] weapons when you're specced for energy crits, it had a higher DPS over a 10-minute run.

Not to mention that fleet weapons easily outperform borg weapons!

Basically, I want to see some numbers and hard evidence that shows me that dmg is a poor modifier - because as of right now I simply don't believe it and I'm content to think it's just an urban legend of the forums.
Career Officer
# 6
11-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Everyone seems to think that [acc] are the best because when you're maxed out in accuracy, they give you more critical procs, which will increase your DPS more than a sustained [dmg] modifier
ACC and ACC overflow are generally poorly understood by most players.

However, ACC is very important in PvP as you can often deal with high defense targets.

For PvE however, CrtH (higher sustained improvement) and CrtD (higher burst) are both generally better than both DMG and ACC.

Captain
# 7
11-05-2012, 07:14 AM
The problem with the dmg modiifer is that as i understand it, it's a straight up +5. That mans for many weapons, and especially cannons it adds onlya couple of % at the best.
Career Officer
# 8
11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
The problem with the dmg modiifer is that as i understand it, it's a straight up +5. That mans for many weapons, and especially cannons it adds onlya couple of % at the best.
Yes, it doesn't scale at all which is one of the main issues with it.

Cryptic Studios Team
# 9
11-05-2012, 05:56 PM
We've been discussing weapon modifiers internally for a while now, based on feedback we've been getting over the past few months. It's likely that this will result in making some sweeping changes to modifier values and their associated effectiveness.

But such changes will not arrive in time for Season 7 launch.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 10
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
We've been discussing weapon modifiers internally for a while now, based on feedback we've been getting over the past few months. It's likely that this will result in making some sweeping changes to modifier values and their associated effectiveness.

But such changes will not arrive in time for Season 7 launch.
Interesting, thanks for the info Bort.