Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lieutenant
I imagine this is something that's been on people's minds and I wanted to specifically ask those that are playing Klingons what their thoughts and feelings are on this subject and perhaps to stir up some discussion for a possible justification for what we'll be getting with New Romulus.

So far, the information we've gotten in the form of Dev Blogs and what's currently available on the Tribble Test Server all paint a very Federation-centric view on the current state of affairs with New Romulus. Romulan refugees looking to setup shop on a planet to build a colony to live in peace, away from the strife that has grip over places such as Rator III. The colony needs help in order to grow and thrive, a task that the Federation and Starfleet are more than willing to lend a hand on as they're all about humanitarian aid and stretching out the hand of friendship.

What's the Klingon angle though?

My expectation would very much be that the Klingons would see the shattered remains of the Romulan Empire to be an ideal place for expansion. It wasn't that long ago that the Klingons launched an invasion but were stopped by Romulan E. Lee, but the military surely is even more fractured now that it was before.

Could it be perhaps that the High Council has decided to go with a "Hearts and Minds" approach with New Romulus? Perhaps. Having aided Obisek, and Obisek throwing his support behind the colony, it's possible that the High Council doesn't want to lose their friend Obisek and jeopardize their potential opportunity to learn some of the secrets the Vault may have. In that instance, I find it more plausible that the Klingons would just use/threaten force with regards to the Vault rather than attempt to resolve the situation diplomatically.

Any thoughts or insights you Klingon players have with regards to why the Klingons are on New Romulus would be welcome. At the moment, I don't have a strong story justification for it available to me.
Just can't let go of the Excelsior...
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcfoxtrot View Post
What's the Klingon angle though?

My expectation would very much be that the Klingons would see the shattered remains of the Romulan Empire to be an ideal place for expansion. It wasn't that long ago that the Klingons launched an invasion but were stopped by Romulan E. Lee, but the military surely is even more fractured now that it was before.

Could it be perhaps that the High Council has decided to go with a "Hearts and Minds" approach with New Romulus? Perhaps. Having aided Obisek, and Obisek throwing his support behind the colony, it's possible that the High Council doesn't want to lose their friend Obisek and jeopardize their potential opportunity to learn some of the secrets the Vault may have. In that instance, I find it more plausible that the Klingons would just use/threaten force with regards to the Vault rather than attempt to resolve the situation diplomatically.
My thoughts may be a wee bit cynical on the matter.

The problem with this schism with motivation goes back to the Feature Episode portings of the Federation-centric mission schema to the KDF. Friends whom I've run through their own KDF story chains with have had a common complaint: 'Why are we doing this? This doesn't really feel Klingon'. It isn't. It's a side-effect of making a faction-neutral objective when the factions are like oil and water in their drives and goals in favor of development ease or game balance.

It's Starfleet's duty to seek out new life and new civilizations for peace and sharing.
It's the Klingon Defense Force's mandate to subjugate potential threats and expand their territories for the good of the Klingon people and their territories.

The effort of making divergent mission structures for the KDF and the Federation would probably expand the development scope for the season, making two different games at once for the two factions. So better to just copypaste them and bring their ideas in line as close as possible, then tweak the text to give a faction-specific lean in motivation, even though structurally, there is no difference between them.

Amusingly, this is how we as Klingon operatives aided the Federation in the past against the Devidians in that FE mini-arc, something which I've taken to roleplaying with others through and tend to have to bite my tongue when coming up with the stupidest excuses for NOT doing what my faction's members likely should do.

When there is next to no meaningful specialization for either faction the Federation and the Klingon Empire might as well just be Billy Lee and Jimmy Lee of Double Dragon.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Seeing the shattered remnants of the RSE the KDF did move to conquer and claim the pnce Romulan held systems, its one of the reasons we went to war with the feds.

This being forced to suddenly help the Romulans is completleg counter to the KDF/STO backstory.
It started with the Reman FE arc. I could get by it as the missions made it a player choice to decide to help as KDF player.
This recent New Romulus expansion while cool and fun makes the whole faction suddenly do a 180 without a choice.

I would have been happier if the Devs had made the feds the happy to help faction and us the more, " Time to conquer" faction amd had us more true to ourselves and the STO backstory.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Career Officer
# 4
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm waiting until it goes live to get my KDF toon over there, but my feeling is that we're supposed to understand (with only a very few, very minor, in game hints being given) that J'mpok no longer enjoys the support he once did in the High Council and the various houses (not to mention all the new alien allies) and that the House of Martok and like minded houses are starting to regain much of the power they lost in the lead-up to J'mpok's killing of Martok and assumption of the mantle of Chancellor.

That said the more "Diplomatic" approach being taken with New Romulus could be seen as a "bone" being thrown to these increasingly restless adversaries in an attempt to stave them off until he can resolidify his powerbase.

Then there is, of course, Obisek. We first meet him when he's preparing to use Thalaron weaponry against the Romulans. We have been given no indications that he isn't still just as willing to use them now as he was then, even if he has thus far refrained. We also know that he wants the Remans to be an independent power, not just slaves under a different set of masters and as such has turned down Klingon "help" in the past. It's quite likely that this diplomatic approach is intended to avoid having Obisek decide that the Klingons are more deserving of his dishonorable weapons than the Tal'Shiar and the remnants of the Romulan Star Empire.

I give it roughly 50/50 odds that one of the above is what the Devs intend for the story to be, but forgot to lay the appropriate groundwork in game.
Captain
# 5
11-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Going by the story line of Romulans playing KDF. Nothing really. Since there wasn't much a story for it from the start. To give the KDF something to work for. So I expect very little story for the KDF on this as well. IF there is, it won't make much since since what we had was a carry over from Fed. Which will further make no sense when they try to "add" to it.

I rarely read the text for the KDF on story since they are so lacking. I just click and move on quickly as I can.
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Fed content copy paste job for the KDF.

I explained it in one sentence.
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Captain
# 7
11-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post

So true on this!
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post

Essentially what it boils down to. I must learn to be less wordy!

It is easier to do a copypasta job on missions and switch the dialog to 'angry-honor' to make it sound Klingon than it is to design a branch of missions that specifically cater to KDF goals and motivations. It gets the content out faster and gets us to shut up and quit bothering Cryptic about what's next.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-06-2012, 12:48 AM
If they really wanted to do it the Klingon way its rather simple. You have a old enemy, that has tried to destroy your empire via betrayal, and cowardly tactics. Being a Klingon you see your old enemy in a weakened state, the only response is clear all out war to finish them off. Conquer them.

The problem is in todays society conquest, and well finishing off an enemy is considered wrong. More and more I see this attitude translate into mmos via the story line. I cant tell you how many times, as one player said Ive seen a copy and paste job for the KDF point of view, instead of a actual Klingon response. Its like I was defending a Klingon starbase, got to a hostile npcs, who was in fact a Klingon. I was about to kill it, when the so called Klingon said I surrender. Its like really seriously? This type of thing is all throughout star trek online.

Maybe some day that will change but for now we will have to put up with the naive fed position, that everything can be solved with diplomacy, that you take prisoners, that you do not wipe out enemies, and so on and so forth.
Commander
# 10
11-06-2012, 01:48 AM
The problem with Klingons is that they are just second class black space orcs with bad teeths.

So the only plot element left for Klingons is fighting. And that is why they won't never have much story missions (I really enjoyed the few of them, even if they were a little bit silly). And why Defera, Omega Fleet and now New Romulus content feels forced upon the Klingons.

Klingons only work as cannon fodder for the feds. Like Orcs mostly works as cannon fodder for fantasy heroes. At last they didn't had advanced weapons, ships etc xD