Career Officer
# 21
11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I agree with this, sure most of the end game content requires a team, but what about everything before that? Until end game the entire game is done solo. However I think Cryptic has realized this because if you go to the new Romulan zone on Tribble it is exactly what we need. A huge zone with a ton of missions to do and everyone is together.

Now all they need are more areas like this and also to increase the max instence population from 75 to something like 200.
Career Officer
# 22
11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Wrong quote - nevermind.

Last edited by crusty8mac; 11-05-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Captain
# 23
11-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I find this thread intriguing. Valid points, for both sides of this discussion, raised throughout. Something I haven't seen yet though. Someone posting here about the fools, trolls and griefers who ruthlessly enforce the "No Talking!" rule. Was on Ganalda Station yesterday and saw something I rarely ever see. A toon wearing a TOS Klingon uniform. It was well done within the limits the game imposes. On a whim, decided to compliment the player on the outfit. Mind you, this is a total stranger whom I'll probably never see again. Typed "Nice uniform! Good Job!" into the Chat Bar and sent it as a Tell. I was promptly Ignored.

Now why would someone do that? Because they've been trained to do so by all the people who have irritating others as their only goal in game. The only time someone other than my fleet mates seems to want to chat with or type to me in game is to give me a hassle about something. And they always seem to be as nasty as possible about it. Because there are no consequences or accountability for being rude and ill-mannered to others. People say things in game, and over the Internet in general as well, they'd never dare think about saying to you face to face. Which means we may be getting a glimpse at their true nature. "Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here everyday."

It would be enjoyable to be able to chat with someone I've never met and actually haggle with them about something they've posted for sale on the Exchange. I want a bazaar where I can rent out a space and as people walk by, try to get them to purchase the things I've gotten as drops which I do not use. A notice board somewhere with something like the following: 19:30 BST Meet me outside the Transporter Room if you can train BOFFS in Tyken's Rift I. Willing to trade crafting items or perhaps I can train one of your BOFFS as payment. I'd like to walk up to the Bloodwine fountain on Qo'noS and be able to strike up a conversation with the nearest stranger. I have resigned myself to not being able to ever do any of these. Because the other players have been taught, and really believe, the only reason I want to conversate with them is to poke fun at them or get into a pointless argument about something in a PC game based on a make believe world which is itself based upon a 45 year old television series.

Until the STO Community makes an effort to do something about this, without waiting on PWE/Cryptic to do it for us as we all usually do, there will be no true social interaction outside of our fleets.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
11-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I find it amusing that it's been...what, going on three years now and people are still surprised that the "community" sucks?
Admiral Underwood - General D'Gehn - Admiral Ketiron
Real Join Date: October 2010
Lieutenant
# 25
11-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Social interaction that is dynamic and organic = a good thing, as in SWG

Social 'interaction' (using the term loosly there) that is forced and a waste of time for many players with limited playtime = a terribad thing.

See the difference?
Empire Veteran
# 26
11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Specifically the ability to buy everything remotely now. We will no longer need to goto DS9 for STF Gear, All Romulan Gear will be via the reputation system.... with the fleet bases having banks, embassies having exchanges... I think some of these current hubs will become ghost towns... the game feels like we are moving back to a single player style...
You mean I do not have to try to drill in past the lag to visit my least favorite place in all of Star Trek? Thank Q!

But that said, I do not like the new rep system more based on it being another ENORMOUS Dilithium sink to go along with the already enormous sinks more than anything. That 8K barrier should just be done away with.
Lieutenant
# 27
11-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
I disagree with this. Prior to the STF store being on DS9, the place was a ghost town. It will become one again. We will lose much of the STF knowledge sharing that goes on there.
I completely agree. I love how when you went to DS9, you know that 90% of the people there are STFing. There's always people talking in zone discussing STFs.

DS9 is the frontline base for the Task Force Omega. And it feels that way IMO when its populated by players and NPCs that are focusing on Borg.
Lieutenant
# 28
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Specifically the ability to buy everything remotely now. We will no longer need to goto DS9 for STF Gear, All Romulan Gear will be via the reputation system.... with the fleet bases having banks, embassies having exchanges... I think some of these current hubs will become ghost towns... the game feels like we are moving back to a single player style...
Agreed!

All these "Conveniences" are making this game feel like a single player game rather then a MMO....

Its 1 reason im considering going back to FFXIV for a while...or TOR. I miss the MMO feeling
Republic Veteran
# 29 Fleet Starbase
11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Im hoping they will gives us an exchange for the Fleet Starbases, so the Fleets can use them for our hubs instead.

I prefer to hang with the fleet than a bunch of strangers.

Those are the same strangers who keep asking to be my friend just because of my costume.