Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 11
11-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcfoxtrot View Post
I imagine this is something that's been on people's minds and I wanted to specifically ask those that are playing Klingons what their thoughts and feelings are on this subject and perhaps to stir up some discussion for a possible justification for what we'll be getting with New Romulus.

So far, the information we've gotten in the form of Dev Blogs and what's currently available on the Tribble Test Server all paint a very Federation-centric view on the current state of affairs with New Romulus. Romulan refugees looking to setup shop on a planet to build a colony to live in peace, away from the strife that has grip over places such as Rator III. The colony needs help in order to grow and thrive, a task that the Federation and Starfleet are more than willing to lend a hand on as they're all about humanitarian aid and stretching out the hand of friendship.

What's the Klingon angle though?

My expectation would very much be that the Klingons would see the shattered remains of the Romulan Empire to be an ideal place for expansion. It wasn't that long ago that the Klingons launched an invasion but were stopped by Romulan E. Lee, but the military surely is even more fractured now that it was before.

Could it be perhaps that the High Council has decided to go with a "Hearts and Minds" approach with New Romulus? Perhaps. Having aided Obisek, and Obisek throwing his support behind the colony, it's possible that the High Council doesn't want to lose their friend Obisek and jeopardize their potential opportunity to learn some of the secrets the Vault may have. In that instance, I find it more plausible that the Klingons would just use/threaten force with regards to the Vault rather than attempt to resolve the situation diplomatically.

Any thoughts or insights you Klingon players have with regards to why the Klingons are on New Romulus would be welcome. At the moment, I don't have a strong story justification for it available to me.
Honestly? it's hard to stretch things to the point where this makes any sense at all from a "Klingon" perspective, just as the three or four retread Fed Undine missions don't make any damn sense from a KDF perspective.

The problem IS writing-I could come up with 6-100 different ways to make New Romulus make some kind of sense, tied to the disgrace of House Torg and the Undine Invasion, using the Gorn situation as a political basis and the Borg threat...but not one of those reasons can be copy/pasted from a Federation perspective core mission set.

For "New Romulus" and the whole baggage of Romulan Marks to make ANY sense would require more work than Cryptic/PWE is willing to put in-including the dreaded "Lower level/non-endgame" content needed to build a story which has New Romulus being supported by the Klingon Empire being any sort of reasonable, or even workable, outcome.

one of the fundamental reasons why the work won't happen, is that Luxchristian clearly articulated what Cryptic's dev team has effectively demonstrated as their 'idea' of the Klingons-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian
"The problem with Klingons is that they are just second class black space orcs with bad teeths.

So the only plot element left for Klingons is fighting. And that is why they won't never have much story missions (I really enjoyed the few of them, even if they were a little bit silly). And why Defera, Omega Fleet and now New Romulus content feels forced upon the Klingons.

Klingons only work as cannon fodder for the feds. Like Orcs mostly works as cannon fodder for fantasy heroes. At last they didn't had advanced weapons, ships etc xD
"

It's crystal clear that Mr. Stahl and the boys don't want to even investigate beyond the most cartoony aspects of things like Klingon Honour, Klingon Reasoning, or the clearly demonstrated in both Fed, and Klingon material the fact that the entire conflict between the Federation and the Klingon Empire is rooted in the Federation's unwillingness to act in support of their 'allies' when said allies are in the right.

Why did the Klingons invade the Gorn Hegemony? it was NOT just cheap conquest, they had a genuine REASON-which is why Gorn officers join the KDF of their own free will, and Gorn shipyards are building Gorn vessels for Klingon crews.

I'm not just talking out my ass regarding the early missions on BOTH SIDES either- P'jem (Fed) is the most glaring example-the war fits Klingon logic, it's an act of, if not friendship, then "Intervention" in the same way we do Drug Addict interventions-"you're not thinking right, I will beat you until your head clears" is a VERY Klingon approach-and neatly explains how Omega can even EXIST, much less have Material support from the Empire AND Elite troops detailed to support it, or how, in spite of "This is not a joint operation" the KDF base on Defera is also the Federation base on Defera, with commanding officers sharing facilities.

Omega is...well supported with the storyline and end-game content, but New Romulus? Okay, let us begin with House Torg's dishonor in "Bringing down the House" and continue through the entire "Romulan Mystery" arc, to the eventual decision to (reluctantly) support the Reman insurgency against Romulan authority.

This does NOT fit with turning around and building a new Romulan state. a REMAN state, maybe-as a client of the Klingon Empire and a buffer in the manner of a Taiwan or West Berlin, maybe-or as bait to lure the Iconians out, maybe...

But that's not what we're getting. What we have gotten is poorly plotted, poorly planned conversion that ignores the fundamental factional and cultural differences between Federation, and Empire.

The dangling threads problem persists.
Commander
# 12
11-06-2012, 03:47 AM
I always wondered what klingon scientist are doing .

"Qappla, my lab rats dyed 5secs faster than in the last weapon test "

Or how are they maintaining and overseeing their huge territory. Where is the honor in bookkeeping?

"Qappla, we had 5% more income than last year" ... Or did they really invade the gorn because they are the better administrators :-P

I don't want new klingon missions where we are fightings against badass enemy n?XYZ but missions where we would get more to see of the klingon society.

I don't know the ingame reasons why the klingons are now helping the romulans but perhaps Cryptic will surprise us :-P
Captain
# 13
11-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Did someone come by and wake up the Organians?

On the belief that the Devs are somewhat more TOS setting fans than TNG setting fans, this style of "conquest" - outfederationing the Federation - is something right out of the fallout from the Organian Intervention and subsequent treaty...

Remember, the "augments" as Cryptic tries to describe them weren't all "honor and glory", they were more or less Cold-war Soviets...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Empire Veteran
# 14
11-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
The problem with Klingons is that they are just second class black space orcs with bad teeths.

So the only plot element left for Klingons is fighting. And that is why they won't never have much story missions (I really enjoyed the few of them, even if they were a little bit silly). And why Defera, Omega Fleet and now New Romulus content feels forced upon the Klingons.

Klingons only work as cannon fodder for the feds. Like Orcs mostly works as cannon fodder for fantasy heroes. At last they didn't had advanced weapons, ships etc xD
I disagree. The Devs will not take the chance to write anything else unless its to copy paste us into some new agnostic content.

Plenty of content and ideas for content exist about the KDF, the devs merely have to use it.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Commander
# 15
11-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I disagree. The Devs will not take the chance to write anything else unless its to copy paste us into some new agnostic content.

Plenty of content and ideas for content exist about the KDF, the devs merely have to use it.
Ideas is not content. And bad fanfiction were Riker sleeps trough half the Klingon Empire is not content :-P
Empire Veteran
# 16
11-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Ideas is not content. And bad fanfiction were Riker sleeps trough half the Klingon Empire is not content :-P
Ah, but plenty of soft canon content and other ideas on the Klingons exist in Novels and media. It just needs to be researched to be used to enrich the KDF.
We don't always have to shadow the feds in everything that comes along.
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Rihannsu
# 17
11-06-2012, 09:07 AM
As posted in another thread:

The Federation is infested with Undine, and hence there is a war going on between the Empire and the Federation. At the same time, the Fehk'ihri are attacking from places where they cannot be reached. The Borg are ravaging in Klingon space. Technologically vastly superior Iconians have been identified as a cause for some, maybe all of this, and now, the Tholians are assaulting Klingon House Starbases and Klingon space, such as the Nukara system (which of course belongs to the Klingon Empire!).

And those Tholians are also active in Tau Dewa, where a vast amount of Romulans has recently migrated to, building up a new base. Those Romulans have offered the Federation an alliance, but at the same time, have offered it to the Klingons, too.

Let me be honest with you, General. The war against the Federation is not progressing at all, with all the major distractions. Any small amount of support for the Federation might tip the balance to their favour. If they get the support of those Romulans in Tau Dewa, we might actually loose ground. That must never happen!

Thus, we must make the Romulans our friends, too, so they will remain neutral. This is very important. It might decide the war. The Klingon Empire counts on you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 18
11-06-2012, 09:26 AM
New Romulus should have been made an open-PvP Groundwarzone, where feds start in the romulan colony and can try helping the romulans rebuild their society whereas KDF starts in some camp somewhere in the woods and send out raidingparties to hinder the feds progress.

Both factions should still be able to gain marks. Feds for rebuilding and defending the romulans, KDF for destroying everything. The romulan stuff in the reputation system could then be considered a share of the loot offered to successful warriors of the empire.
Empire Veteran
# 19
11-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Thus, we must make the Romulans our friends, too, so they will remain neutral. This is very important. It might decide the war. The Klingon Empire counts on you
Riiiiighht.
Becuase the RSE would in no way be upset over the KDF invading and capturing thier territories after the supernova or missions like "Removing the Romulan Empire" where we have killed them by the thousands and we KDF players should be quick to trust the RSE after we had to stop them from almost ruining the House of Martok or all the trouble they gave us in the Romulan Mystery mission series.

I find the whole "rush to help the poor RSE" a forced turn of events that goes against the backstory of the the game and the KDF.
Captain
# 20
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Lets not pretend it would be difficult to write a convincing Klingon storyline if unfettered from federation mechanics. They're a fairly deep and complicated culture that go far beyond space orcs. I'd say they are a great deal more intriguing than the federation, and they have not a fraction of the content to pull from. A good writer that wasn't leashed could write some fantastic stuff. If anything, by bouncing Klingon and Federation opposing ideologies and methods off each other, it would improve to content for both sides entirely.

The proper way to have done this seasons content would have been having the Klingons try and subjugate the Romulans, while the federation tried to prevent it. Then maybe we could actually pretend like we're suppose to be at war. I don't even like the notion of pushing it off on the political correctness of not enslaving or subjugating another culture... That's total bullocks! Klingons do slave trade, occupations, and other nastiness in their doff missions!

It's really just a matter of Cryptic wishing they never created the Klingon faction and half assing it because they don't want to invest the time and resources to do it right.

Last edited by xantris; 11-06-2012 at 10:22 AM.