Rihannsu
# 11
11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
That's good news.

The NWN forums do have an Ignore function!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Rihannsu
# 12
11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Just out of interest when you say in the future, do you have a rough idea when?

Soon?
A month?
A week?
A day?
My finger is hovering over the update key, hold onto your butts?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 13
11-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Looking at the NW Forum right now, and boy my eyes are on fire from trying to read that text!

• Good that the V-B Post Report Feature is now being implemented.
  • Direct Reply - good.
  • Instant click to Dev Posts (PW in Top Right Corner) - real good.
  • Quick Navigation at the Bottom - Very Much been waiting for this.
Though while we got in-game mail and Forum Mailboxes were not necessary, somehow I miss this.

Aside from the bad choice of text, I approve.
Career Officer
# 14
11-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Looking forward to it.

My biggest hope is just that we get some parity across all platforms in terms of the 'personal expression' allowed, in other words, I'd like to have the same signature and avatar options on neverwinter, champions, and STO. I'd like to have different signatures, but I'd like to have access to the same options.

Following the last forum transition, we had no bbcode or image permissions in our signatures. That was fixed in the weeks following, but the Champions settings are still more restrictive than the STO settings (no color and centering options, and neither site allows the FONT tag anymore.)

I hope this new setup will work better for everyone.. I just hope that every game's community gets the same freedom to express themselves.
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None
Career Officer
# 15
11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I have a few questions and observations Brandon.

1. I noticed from the NW forums that the "Additional Options" section can not be toggled closed (reduced in size). This section can be found under the advanced editing window for making a post. Having the option to set this section to 'closed' saves more precious screenspace (especially on mobile devices) that makes using the forums a little more quicker to use. We have a little green circle with upside down triangle at present to do this. The "Topic Review (Newest First)" section (NV forums) that is displayed immediately after that section has the close toggle correctly displayed and working.

2. Will we be seeing our forum header changed to take up less screenspace?

3. I noticed that while the "Quick Navigation" selection menu at the end of thread pages (NV forums) seems to be working fine, however, the "Top" redirect button next to it does not seem to work. If we are also inheriting this, will our button work?

4. I noticed that the "Reply to Post" button on the NV forums automatically prompts the "Quick reply" mode as opposed to here on STO were clicking it brings you directly to the advanced post editor mode. Will we be moving to quick reply mode as as a default? In a situation where you may have multi-quoted a lot, hitting Reply to Post makes the entire quick reply window naturally full up, and a user has to then go to the advanced editor. It seems to lack intuitiveness, but perhaps that is just me. An option to choose your own desired default would be better.

5. Will our existing forum in-post and signature permissions/rules be changed and/or reviewed? For example [img] code is set to Off on most STO forums, yet on NV it is set to On.

The situation at present:

Star Trek Online Posting Permissions/Rules:
Quote:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Neverwinter Permissions/Rules:
Quote:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
[VIDEO] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Star Trek Online Signature Permissions/Rules:
Quote:
Allow Basic BB Code Yes
Allow Color BB Code Yes
Allow Size BB Code No
Allow Font BB Code No
Allow Alignment BB Code Yes
Allow List BB Code No
Allow Link BB Code Yes
Allow HTML No
Allow Image BB Code No
Allow Code BB Code No
Allow PHP BB Code No
Allow HTML BB Code No
Allow Quote BB Code No
Allow Smilies Yes
Can Upload Images for Signature Yes
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No
Neverwinter Signature Permissions/Rules:
Quote:
Allow Basic BB Code Yes
Allow Color BB Code Yes
Allow Size BB Code Yes
Allow Font BB Code Yes
Allow Alignment BB Code Yes
Allow List BB Code Yes
Allow Link BB Code Yes
Allow HTML No
Allow Image BB Code No
Allow Video BB Code No
Allow Code BB Code Yes
Allow PHP BB Code No
Allow HTML BB Code No
Allow Quote BB Code Yes
Allow Smilies Yes
Can Upload Images for Signature Yes
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No
I think it is clear from our set of permissions/rules that STO forum users are being held in lower regard than that of other PW forum users. We're more red than green and that says it all, unfortunately. Surely the introduction of thread reporting for moderation can help safeguard against mis-use. It certainly did with the old forums.

6. I see that the NV forums also features an ignore list. For STO, will this be linked to ingame ignore lists?

Thanks.

p.s. It might be worth passing on to trailturtle that the avatar upload settings are a little odd, namely the following:

Quote:
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 82 by 8280 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
I'll hazard a guess that "19.5 KB" will be the smaller of the two in that case.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 11-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Captain
# 16
11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Great news, and thanks for giving us warning this time.

One question: when you say we'll be able to edit "all our old posts", does that include the ones that currently show up as "Archived Post"?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 17
11-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Great news, and thanks for giving us warning this time.

One question: when you say we'll be able to edit "all our old posts", does that include the ones that currently show up as "Archived Post"?
You can actually edit these if the one you are tying it on originally belonged to you in the first place.
Career Officer
# 18
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Brandon, we need a fairly a massive cleanup of the forum structure before you implement this, please.

I wrote up a post before the PWE forum conversion and you said it looked good and then nothing happened.

We have too many redundancies and too much stuff is getting moved because nobody knows where it belongs.

We'd also like to see the devs responsible for these things actually participate in the forum sections for the stuff they manage. For example, I'm not sure the "Ship Art" sticky megathread has seen any developer action since before CapnLogan left and many of those ship models are in dire need of fixing. We know you can't spend all day posting on the forums but a quick "I agree and we'll get that on the list but no schedule promises" would go a long way to making us feel like we're not talking to a black hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.
Career Officer
# 19
11-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Thats a good point sekritagent. There are some dark corners of the STO forums just filled with out of date stickies. For example, the technical support forum is completely redundant given the official PW support forum. For the amount of space that single example accounts for on the forums, we could instead be cultivating a lovely "in-character" roleplay forum. <3
Captain
# 20
11-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Hello Captains,

You may have noticed that Neverwinter has recently upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin (our forum software) -- STO will be making the upgrade in the future. We know that your forum persona is important to you,

... so hold onto your hats & avatars as the Forum Cluster Fk 2.0 is upon us .

p.s. don't say we didn't warn you in advance ...
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Closed Thread