Captain
# 21
11-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post

But I am interested in your Reman set idea. I don't have it (don't like doing the Vault) on this toon, but when season 7 hits, I will look into it more. For now, I will still probably look at getting the Honor guard space set, at least as a different choice to go with, even if I don't use it. This is mostly for the torpedo damage bonus and aux power buff.
Get it now. The grind for the reman set will be horribly long once the reputation system goes live. You really need to win the Vault only three times to get both pieces of gear you need (its a 2 set piece bonus). I got both mk11 parts in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
I only use the chroniton with T:S1 at initial start in Ker'rat. I try to get out of the Fed ball as quickly as possible, while affecting their speed/turn rate. Beyond that, I only turn to fire when I'm waiting on my fore torpedoes to come off cooldown.

I only use the Plasma torpedo for the plasma burn to stack on my Hargh'Peng.

On my fore, I use Quantum, Bio-Neural, Breen Cluster, and Hargh'Peng, in that order. The only ability that works with my HY3 is the Quantums, and, according to your information, doesn't lose damage over distance?

In any case, I use the Quantum torpedoes to damage the shields enough for the Bio-Neural and Breen Cluster to do more hull damage. Hargh'Peng is for additional damage and DOT.

It works very well.
That does sound good. I was thinking you were using the same dual chroniton setup.

Heavy plasma is the only torp that loses damage over distance (5km+ its weak) unless you using the reman set.

Quote:
I just use the 2 set KHG for the 25% torpedo bonus.

The only Sci console I have is the Flow Capcitors, for boosting my Tachyon Beam 3 and Aceton Assimilators.

My console layout is:
1) Eng = Neutronium Alloy x2, Assimilated Module
2) Sci = Flow Capacitors, Rule 62, Aceton Assimilators
3) Tact = Warhead Yield Chamber x3
The video I posted shows me using the tachyon beam. I was testing it. I realized its a waste as the shield drain is too weak (extremely weak) and the b'rel autocloak is put on hold while it is being fired and that got me killed more times than I cared for.

Note: Even if you maxed out on stealth skill (9) you still need to load 1 blue mk11 or better stealth module. NPCs and players will detect you at close range unless you have it. Without the console you will be fired upon by npc's at about 2km range.. with the console you can literally bounce off their hulls and not get detected.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Captain
# 22
11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
Heavy plasma is the only torp that loses damage over distance (5km+ its weak) unless you using the reman set.
I try to avoid being within 5km to avoid tractor grabs and other reveal abilities.

Quote:
The video I posted shows me using the tachyon beam. I was testing it. I realized its a waste as the shield drain is too weak (extremely weak) and the b'rel autocloak is put on hold while it is being fired and that got me killed more times than I cared for.

Note: Even if you maxed out on stealth skill (9) you still need to load 1 blue mk11 or better stealth module. NPCs and players will detect you at close range unless you have it. Without the console you will be fired upon by npc's at about 2km range.. with the console you can literally bounce off their hulls and not get detected.
Do you have points in Flow Capacitors? Excluding Power Insulator resistance, I can get about a 4k shield drain with Tachyon Beam 3. It's not great, but it's not horrible. I didn't find any of the other sci abilities as useful. I tend to use Tachyon Beam after I launch my first torpedo. I believe Tachyon Beam drains for for 4 seconds? That should be enough time for all of my torpedoes to launch and begin to recloak.

I have had a different experience from you regarding the the Stealth skill and no Stealth console. I have been 0km away from a Science officer in a Sci ship with his aux at 125 (while my Aux was at 118), and he couldn't see me. I've also flown past a gate in Khitomer and Infected Elite after getting aggro, and it never fired on me as I flew right in front of it.
Captain
# 23
11-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Tachyon beam lasts for 10 seconds. The drain is miserable imo when you consider it keeps you uncloaked for longer than you should be. You only have 3 seconds to unload ordnance before the auto-cloak kicks in.

Plus, tachyon beam counts as an attack to NPCs and you get instant-return fire on you...which means torpedoes that will track you when cloaked.

It just didn't work for me. My attack runs are less than 5 seconds and my torps/mines hit after I re-cloak.

I think the tach beam works a lot better in a raptor. A BoP just cant take much hits nor keep nose on target for too long...or get too close to a target.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Captain
# 24
11-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Ability Type: Shield Drain
Activation: 0.83 sec
Range: 10 km; 90' targeting arc
Duration: 0.4 - 3.6 sec
Recharge Time: 30 sec

http://www.stowiki.org/Tachyon_Beam

I've fired it without me moving and my target in my firing arc the entire time. I'm positive it didn't go for 10 seconds. The duration on wiki (and in-game) says the duration is 4 seconds.

What you might be thinking of is that it drains -X to shields over 10 "pulse". I don't know if 1 pulse = 1 second in-game.

Also, the auto-cloak activates 3 seconds after you've stopped firing torpedoes. Not from when you start.

As for tracking torpedoes, I usually aren't concerned about them. Just before they hit, I use BFI and/or Hazard Emitters. If I'm still in bad shape, I'll use A2SIF and Engineering Team for some more instant heal.

Last edited by shookyang; 11-06-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 25
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Get it now. The grind for the reman set will be horribly long once the reputation system goes live. You really need to win the Vault only three times to get both pieces of gear you need (its a 2 set piece bonus). I got both mk11 parts in one day.

You have a point there. Best to get it, same with the STFs while it is free. I just REALLY hate the Vault.

I did notice that with my consoles on still, I could bump off of hulls and never be seen. Almost all the time. One sci ship saw me for a moment yesterday and sensor scanned me when I was close, revealing me further.

Captain
# 26
11-06-2012, 10:22 AM
players and npc have different detection rules.

Players with high aux detect you farther. Aka sci ships.

When I said bump hulls I mean NPC's. Without my 1 stealth console borg cubes in elite stfs shoot me at 2km range (and ive 9 stealth skill) if they've got aggro on me. With the console they dont spot me until I bounce off their sides (and not even then at times).

Shook: Interesting. 10 pulses in 3 to 4 seconds? That doesn't match what I remember using in my fed sci ship. The beam lasted quite a bit longer than that. Ill have to fire my fed sci ship again and see.
Empire Veteran
# 27
11-07-2012, 10:00 AM
I admit, I had an interesting, if VERY expensive idea.

Technicians, and I don't mean an Aux to Battery build, but the technicians who give you aux power while cloaked. I have a blue one, but there are purples out there, and I believe you could equip 3 of them.

Which pretty much means that you could have low to minimum aux power, cloak in a B'rel, and then suddenly have pretty much maxed aux power. In turn, you could run with pretty much maxed out engine power with little to no loss on the aux side.

I don't have the 30+ million EC to test this idea, but I wanted to put it out there.

Captain
# 28
11-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I admit, I had an interesting, if VERY expensive idea.

Technicians, and I don't mean an Aux to Battery build, but the technicians who give you aux power while cloaked. I have a blue one, but there are purples out there, and I believe you could equip 3 of them.

Which pretty much means that you could have low to minimum aux power, cloak in a B'rel, and then suddenly have pretty much maxed aux power. In turn, you could run with pretty much maxed out engine power with little to no loss on the aux side.

I don't have the 30+ million EC to test this idea, but I wanted to put it out there.
I believe Aux increases your hull heals. If you have lower power, when you decloak to fire, you will lose that Aux.

It's fine if you heal while cloaked, but if you need to do it while you're not cloaked (in an emergency situation), then your heals won't be healing at their potential.

Also, Aux buffs your Sci abilities if you were to use Gravity Well or something.

I have my engines at 74 or something, and that seems to be plenty fast as it is. Don't want to beat your bio-neural warhead to your target and risk splash damage with no shields.
Empire Veteran
# 29
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
The biggest change I would like to see is a more balanced take on that 3 second decloak I believe when using certain boff skills that it should do the 3 second decloaking because the way torpedoes work and even transphasic its too much of a downside playing a b'rel for its intended use.

Although due to the majority of the player base not playing KDF the functionality of the b'rel well cater to the faction not playing it because as we have seen with the lack of development of the KDF faction they do not care about the KDF because it doesn't bring them the kind of money they want to see out of it and money talks. Unless some KDF person writes them a check for a million dollars to do KDF development we will never see anything more than lockbox crap for the KDF.
Empire Veteran
# 30
11-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
I believe Aux increases your hull heals. If you have lower power, when you decloak to fire, you will lose that Aux.

It's fine if you heal while cloaked, but if you need to do it while you're not cloaked (in an emergency situation), then your heals won't be healing at their potential.

Also, Aux buffs your Sci abilities if you were to use Gravity Well or something.

I have my engines at 74 or something, and that seems to be plenty fast as it is. Don't want to beat your bio-neural warhead to your target and risk splash damage with no shields.
It adjusts a couple of them: Aux to structural and HE.

True though in that with low aux power while uncloaked, you could be really hurting, though if you don't start running, healing or no, you might be dead anyways.

Outrunning a Bio-neural would be kinda funny though. Still, good point.

I can't actually test and see if this is a viable, usable idea since I don't have that kind of EC to do so. Still, it was a different kind of thought at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
The biggest change I would like to see is a more balanced take on that 3 second decloak I believe when using certain boff skills that it should do the 3 second decloaking because the way torpedoes work and even transphasic its too much of a downside playing a b'rel for its intended use.

Although due to the majority of the player base not playing KDF the functionality of the b'rel well cater to the faction not playing it because as we have seen with the lack of development of the KDF faction they do not care about the KDF because it doesn't bring them the kind of money they want to see out of it and money talks. Unless some KDF person writes them a check for a million dollars to do KDF development we will never see anything more than lockbox crap for the KDF.
If memory serves, in the past, the B'rel used to never, or almost never decloak unless you chose to, or got hit with a de-cloaking abillity. So you could almost constantly heal from a cloaked B'rel, another KDF ship, and they would never ever seem to die.

Though I believe lotsa Fed whining took place, and thus the 3 second decloak was put in.

But a player who's been on the forums and game longer than me could probably give a more exact story.