Lieutenant
# 21
11-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
But it was, kinda. Let me explain.

The reason we decided...
Are you saying you were involved in this decision? As the community representative shouldnt you be representing what the community thinks, which in this case is not liking this change?

Regarding the rest of your post, it sounds like the devs are saying "we understand you dont like it, but we dont care. We're going to force it on you anyway and hope you change your mind". What makes that attitude so bad is that on a forum where people usually disagree, there is actually a consensus about this issue.

Last edited by lillithiae; 11-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Ensign
# 22
11-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I think the main issue with the lack of numbers which gave people a idea of where others are going (accurate or not if everyone things 'infected' is popular they go there). You can only queue in 3 places which I can understand but has we get more missions to queue for that number gets tighter and and tighter (yay for more variety by the way).

I can personally think of 2 ideas quickly to help with this one is increase how many you can queue for. Another which sounds cooler to me is the ability to queue for random missions of a particular type. What I mean is that for example you could queue normally or queue for 'random romulan mark mission' or 'random fleet mark mission etc etc. Giving a incentive to queue for this I personally am not that fussed for but perhaps that might be a thing.

Maybe this is all crazy talk I do not mind either way I jsut hope I gave some sort of useful feedback!

Have fun.
Republic Veteran
# 23
11-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
These two quotes seem to contradict each other:

The first quote suggests you may actually look into doing something about the (mostly) negative feedback in regards to removing the # of queued players display.

The second quote suggests you removed it intentionally, with no current intent on bringing it back "unless it turns into a bigger issue". How much bigger must it be, if it's a near unanimous outcry from the forum posters, to bring it back? Instead of removing it, maybe you should look into IMPROVING the tech that shows the # of queued players.

Instead, we end up with a literally half-a$$ed done system, which serves to do nothing more than "look prettier". Even if the # was inaccurate before, it atleast showed SOME activity on various maps, and ZERO activity on some maps. With the new queue, we can't see which ones are actively being queued for, and which ones aren't. See the problem Mr Felczer?
It's not an issue, just cause the forums scream out in anger...like always does not make it an issue, when its live then we can see if it's an issue,

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
11-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:

The reason we decided to remove the number of players displayed in the queue is because the information being reported was inaccurate. It would often times report a false number of players queued for individual events. In reality there are thousands of game servers across the shard constantly running all the different events, but the previous column in the queue UI was under-and-over representing the number of players. The information being reported was in most cases only a small slice of how many people were in each queue.

We've removed this column for Season 7 because we do not feel it was reporting queue population properly and was giving false positives, when in fact most events are busy around the clock. Other popular MMO games do not display population in queues and manage just fine, so we are going to leave this column out for the S7 launch and see how it goes under a full population of users.

As we move forward, if it turns into a bigger issue, we will investigate ways in which we can show players how "hot" some queues are, but this will require the tech wizards to find a way to report on the number of players in queues more accurately so that we can display the proper information.

We appreciate that it feels "weird" now on Tribble (where there are only a few hundred players playing at any given moment), but we ask that you wait and see how it goes under full Holodeck load. Our expectation is that players will still be able to get into queues as quickly as they could prior to S7.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This seems like one of those cases where a mean average wait time of the last 10-20 queuers would make sense. Yes, there are regularly events going, but not all of them. What is my expectation time to get into a 'The cure' versus a KDF no win scenario? 1 minute versus likely never.

But yes, this is a problem on test because you have no idea if you're the only one trying to queue for something, as opposed to live where that is only rarely the case.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 25
11-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillithiae View Post
Are you saying you were involved in this decision? As the community representative shouldnt you be representing what the community thinks, which in this case is not liking this change?
It's the royal we. We, as in the team. I'm part of the team and have also passed along the player's feedback. As I've mentioned, we are considering feedback and will continue to do so. To meurik's point, I don't see how my two posts are contradictions, though.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Commander
# 26
11-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:

The reason we decided to remove the number of players displayed in the queue is because the information being reported was inaccurate. It would often times report a false number of players queued for individual events. In reality there are thousands of game servers across the shard constantly running all the different events, but the previous column in the queue UI was under-and-over representing the number of players. The information being reported was in most cases only a small slice of how many people were in each queue.

We've removed this column for Season 7 because we do not feel it was reporting queue population properly and was giving false positives, when in fact most events are busy around the clock. Other popular MMO games do not display population in queues and manage just fine, so we are going to leave this column out for the S7 launch and see how it goes under a full population of users.

As we move forward, if it turns into a bigger issue, we will investigate ways in which we can show players how "hot" some queues are, but this will require the tech wizards to find a way to report on the number of players in queues more accurately so that we can display the proper information.

We appreciate that it feels "weird" now on Tribble (where there are only a few hundred players playing at any given moment), but we ask that you wait and see how it goes under full Holodeck load. Our expectation is that players will still be able to get into queues as quickly as they could prior to S7.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
No offense Brandon, and I know you're only doing your job, but I think the devs weren't telling the full truth on this one.

If this was true, then why do I go into a queue right now, that has 0 listed, and it will never queue, ever. The moment that queue hits the minimum amount of players required, I'll receive the queue popup.

And to that effect, any queue that requires say 5 players, and currently has 12. You queue for that, you need to wait for those first two groups of 5 to queue before you can. It's an extremely simple process that we all know.

Sorry, but I'm not buying this explanation.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.

Last edited by daiouvegeta2; 11-07-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 27
Quote:

The reason we decided to remove the number of players displayed in the queue is because the information being reported was inaccurate.

Let me tell you from a player perspective. Forget about your spreadsheets.
The queues do work reasonable well with the displayed number of players shown. They do give a indicator if there are even other people and how fast the queues are moving. Something that is very important on the KDF side since we have a lot less players in general.
It may be inaccurate, but it is close enough to working that removing it will have a negative impact on player experience.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Rihannsu
# 28
Quote:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

If it was broken, and the data was wrong then thats one issue. it never looked wrong, at least at the slower times but i guess we players can only see one side of the fence.

i appreciate that if there are thousands of people queueing and the system only represents it as small figures due to the ever constant changing nature of people entering queues and games then that is understandable, but if there is anyway to accurately show the numbers, or average waiting time or something then that would be much appreciated.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 29
Quote:
The team has been reading posts about this change in the Tribble forums and is taking the feedback into consideration

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Quote:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lets hope someone shows some sense then.

We know you just want to hide the fact that you screw up the queues on a regular basis, but allowing people to blindly queue without knowing if they are working properly is a silly move

Last edited by darkenzedd; 11-07-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Commander
# 30
11-07-2012, 02:17 PM
You explained things very well Brandon Thank you for clearing things up with why it was taken out. I myself was kinda curious and had a inkling that there was a method to the madness and i am looking forward to seeing how this does do in holodeck which is really the only place this can be accurately tested and have solutions applied.