Career Officer
# 11
11-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
A couple of comments here...

Battle of Wolf 359. That had Mirandas and the like fighting the Borg alongside Defiants and Sovereigns. Why not in game too?

These are fleet missions. Which means that everyone in a fleet should be able to join in. This will be the reason for allowing Lieutenants on the same map as VAs. Gating people by level will remove a lot of the purpose of these events - allowing fleets to work together the achieve a goal.
I tend to agree.

Good example - I was in discussion with other members of the Fleet I am in last week; we we agreed that it'd be good to do an STF, as one of said fleet members was hoping to obtain a prototype drop. There were quite a few of us online at the time, and the following replies were forthcoming:

Person 1: What's an STF?
Person 2: Can't - I'm not at a high enough level yet

After explaining STF's and how they work (and explaining to one person, who was a high-enough level how one joins Omega Force) we wound up doing a Fleet Alert instead, as EVERYONE was able to participate. Which should be exactly the point really.

And those of us who were able did the STF afterward.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 12
11-07-2012, 03:50 AM
I completely agree with the OP, currently those ships are simply useless. Either segregate them into their own brackets, as it's already being done in every other event ingame (e.g. SB24, PvP, Mirror etc...) or find some other means to boost them, for example by varying the number of ships allowed to participate.

That would be less frustrating for both VA- and Lt.-level players.

Currently, when finding a low-level ship in a Fleet Action, I'm using the same strategy as when I'm grouped with an afk-leecher in an STF. I leave immediately.
Commander
# 13
11-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Ok, so for all the people wanting to gate fleet content by level, how would you solve the problem of fleets being split by level when they wanted to do fleet content together?

This is the purpose of fleet content. To allow fleets to do stuff together. Not for fleets to be split into smaller groups because they are different ranks. Otherwise, what is the point of having fleet content, if all that is going to happen is members of the fleet would end up in different instances, completely removing the whole idea of fleets doing fleet content, you know, as a fleet.

If you don't like it, perhaps you should find a fleet where everyone is the same rank as you.
Captain
# 14
11-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
how would you solve the problem of fleets being split by level when they wanted to do fleet content together
If they can't be bothered to get to 45 they don;t get to contribute simple.

Look this isnlt just an inside a fleet issue, it's a huge issue in pugs. I've had at leats one run in 10 situations where i'm the only person in somthing better than a T2 ship on a team of 5. One player simply cannot carry the whole group like that, it dosen't work that way. Hell given average player competance even 1 non-T5 ship is a serious handicap, let along severla of them.

Fact is they just shouodn;t be there, they take the missions and make them drasticlly harder. i've never been part of a 5 man that had even 1 lowbie in that didn't have a horribble run and bassiclly fail hard.
Career Officer
# 15
11-07-2012, 12:23 PM
nothing better than zoning in to find a constitution class or a cheyene or something. cheers for that. i find that i usually have to work quite hard to make up for others without them being in something totally useless. almost as bad as those players that ditch half way through or even those guys that fly off into the distance and do nothing. i particularly hate this in colony invasion. playing through and wondering why its soo hard. its because of the douchebag doing nothing at the spawn.
Long Live The Empire!
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-07-2012, 12:45 PM
i like all ships in them

i use a shuttle

in pvp i see a guy in that golf ball science ship and he not only does not die but he kills people

you used to be able toi do STF's in shuttles

and they bloicked it, but thats ok cause i got all the stuf i needed and am tired of them anywqay

except i like fleet defence and no win

cause i can bring my shuttle

my shuttle of horror

and watfdch the fleet boys cry home to mama
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I dont mind the low levels in fleet events, reality is even at 3 people, the events are doable let alone 5.

Bigger problem with fleet events is the number of people who have NFC on what they are supposed to do and refuse to listen when you tell them.

Jim
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
11-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Personally I feel that lower level characters in these matches is more of a true representation of the Star Trek universe, both in canon and spirit. In canon, any ship that was near an emergency would respond. It was the Federation way. In spirit, it's all a part of including everyone, very much a theme of every series of Trek.

That being said, I can understand how some people may be frustrated. Here's a possible solution. Rather than limit something to 5 ships, limit it to, say, 50 ship points. A VA would be worth 10 points and a lieutenant would be worth 3. All other ranks would be scaled in between. The match would start when between 50 - 55 ship points were achieved. This way, rather than losing out on a VA to a lieutenant you'd lose a VA to two lieutenants, a comdr and a captain, for example.

I feel that this would satisfy the canon and spirit of Trek as well as provide a solution that makes sense.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim940 View Post
I dont mind the low levels in fleet events, reality is even at 3 people, the events are doable let alone 5.

Bigger problem with fleet events is the number of people who have NFC on what they are supposed to do and refuse to listen when you tell them.

Jim
That's not the true problem here. The real problem, and I've seen this many times, is when a new or inexperienced player tries to play a fleet mission, says in team chat that they are new and don't know what to do, and they are told to, and I quote: "Learn to play, Noob!".
Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
The Armada
www.thebikinibottomarmada.com
Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
Captain
# 20
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Here's a possible solution. Rather than limit something to 5 ships, limit it to, say, 50 ship points. A VA would be worth 10 points and a lieutenant would be worth 3. All other ranks would be scaled in between. The match would start when between 50 - 55 ship points were achieved. This way, rather than losing out on a VA to a lieutenant you'd lose a VA to two lieutenants, a comdr and a captain, for example.

I feel that this would satisfy the canon and spirit of Trek as well as provide a solution that makes sense.
But there is no check on segregation by the players themselves:

10 pointer: Hey there, wanna play in a fleet action?
Other pointer: Sure!
10 pointer: How many points are you worth?
Other pointer: 5
10 pointer: Oh. Sorry, too low. Good luck!

LTs should be able to play with VAs. What really needs to happen is the players need to learn their role in a through research and not expect to be hand-held. For those with experience, remember *you* were an LT once and had to enter the Fleet action for the first time as well. If anyone helped you then pass it forward.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene