Ensign
# 61
11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
UI Artist Thomas "TheCrypticCat" Marrone shares details about the improvements to the PvE Queue in this entry the Season 7 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
PLEASE bring back the number of players queued for PVE events. Sometimes when I only have 15-30 minutes, I pick the event that appears closest to be starting, and in the new format, I have absolutely no idea what is going to launch and when, not even a ballpark.
Captain
# 62
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post

i'd say the feedback has been 'considered' and 'rejected'.
was thinking the same thing tbh just like 95% of the feedback
Career Officer
# 63
11-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the preview and the information regarding the player count being removed. I'm open to seeing how this works under Holodeck conditions before forming an opinion of the change.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Career Officer
# 64
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Sorry Brandon, I don't buy your explanation of this, the thing is it worked well enough. Now we have no idea at all if anyone is playing anything. Many people with limited time are simply not going to bother queuing in my opinion. If they don't bother queing it won't be long before they don't bother with the game and then we are all buggered.

Of all the questionable decisions the Dev team have made to this game i think this is the most obviously stupid ommission imaginable. I look at a Queue now and see it's almost full so i don't go for a pee or a coffee and the pop-up appears quickly. In the future I will have no idea and so will probably Q and if I happen to be at my computer when the pop-up appears then i will play, but there will be many a time that I won't be there unless you expect us to just sit looking at a screen for an unknown time period waiting for a potentially empty queue?

Can we have tripple face palm on this?
Career Officer
# 65
11-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
But it was, kinda. Let me explain.

The reason we decided to remove the number of players displayed in the queue is because the information being reported was inaccurate. It would often times report a false number of players queued for individual events. In reality there are thousands of game servers across the shard constantly running all the different events, but the previous column in the queue UI was under-and-over representing the number of players. The information being reported was in most cases only a small slice of how many people were in each queue.

We've removed this column for Season 7 because we do not feel it was reporting queue population properly and was giving false positives, when in fact most events are busy around the clock. Other popular MMO games do not display population in queues and manage just fine, so we are going to leave this column out for the S7 launch and see how it goes under a full population of users.

As we move forward, if it turns into a bigger issue, we will investigate ways in which we can show players how "hot" some queues are, but this will require the tech wizards to find a way to report on the number of players in queues more accurately so that we can display the proper information.

We appreciate that it feels "weird" now on Tribble (where there are only a few hundred players playing at any given moment), but we ask that you wait and see how it goes under full Holodeck load. Our expectation is that players will still be able to get into queues as quickly as they could prior to S7.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I relied on those numerical showings to decide which thing to queue for. It was usually accurate. It wasn't actually broken. PLEASE, put it back.
All Good Things Must Come On Tuesday. (it's a liiiink!)

Musings of a Mad Man; Or, What This Game Could Fix

<--Click for how to get one of these.
Empire Veteran
# 66
11-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Sorry Brandon, I don't buy your explanation of this, the thing is it worked well enough. Now we have no idea at all if anyone is playing anything. Many people with limited time are simply not going to bother queuing in my opinion. If they don't bother queing it won't be long before they don't bother with the game and then we are all buggered.

Of all the questionable decisions the Dev team have made to this game i think this is the most obviously stupid ommission imaginable. I look at a Queue now and see it's almost full so i don't go for a pee or a coffee and the pop-up appears quickly. In the future I will have no idea and so will probably Q and if I happen to be at my computer when the pop-up appears then i will play, but there will be many a time that I won't be there unless you expect us to just sit looking at a screen for an unknown time period waiting for a potentially empty queue?

Can we have tripple face palm on this?
They bother in other MMO's...

Seriously, it's a minor little thing; people aren't gonna leave simply because of this.

My two cents
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Lieutenant
# 67
11-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
They bother in other MMO's...

Seriously, it's a minor little thing; people aren't gonna leave simply because of this.

My two cents
To a lot of us this is not going to be a "minor little thing" nor is it going to encourage many people to stay around longer.

My two cents
Captain
# 68
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
We've removed this column for Season 7 because we do not feel it was reporting queue population properly and was giving false positives, when in fact most events are busy around the clock.
The only false positive being given is the "average wait time" in the public PVP queues -- especially on the KDF side .
"Average wait time 25 minutes" ? Yeah right ... .

No offense but I think that you are tying to mince words about a system that did not IMMEDIATELY report if a player left/joined a queue (and only reported it after a few sec\s for some players) .

If you were desperate enough for a STF team and used the public queue , sometimes you joined as the 5th-6th and the number 6 would just hang there for about 5-10 secs before the game started that mission , and the 6th player who joined got bumped down in the queue to no.1 (awaiting 4 more players) .
This is not "wildly inaccurate" as you try to depict it . It's just a slight lag .
I'm pretty sure that non-STF queues (pvp/fa) worked with the same lag .

Quote:
Other popular MMO games do not display population in queues and manage just fine,
Aaaaand doing the "other popular games" bit is just just grasping at straws .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Career Officer
# 69 *sighs....*
11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
But it was, kinda. Let me explain.

The reason we decided to remove the number of players displayed in the queue is because the information being reported was inaccurate. It would often times report a false number of players queued for individual events.
I can tell you right now this is false. The amount of "false positives" were a) never an issue with the playerbase b) never reported as an issue and c) even if existent, not changing the experience. As an avid player using the cues I can tell you that they were certainly "Working as Intended" for the most part. Getting rid of the amount cued isn't going to make more people play Breaking the Planet or any other Grindfest Fleet Action you guys throw together ffs...

So on one hand you have a supposedly "perceived" issue internally and on the other a VERY OBVIOUS issue that people ARE complaining about...the fact that this is even an "internal discussion" is mind boggling.

Quote:
We've removed this column for Season 7 because we do not feel it was reporting queue population properly and was giving false positives, when in fact most events are busy around the clock.
This is patently false. Many of the fleet actions are almost always ghost towns and not "busy around the clock" (See: "Breaking the Planet", "Romulan Temple (Big Dig)), "No Win Scenario", etc...)

Quote:
Other popular MMO games do not display population in queues and manage just fine, so we are going to leave this column out for the S7 launch and see how it goes under a full population of users.
Take some pride in this game ffs: Just because another MMO does it doesn't mean we should. Other MMOs don't drastically change currencies every other season...why don't we copy that aspect?!!?!?

Look - it was YOU guys that forced everything into a cue system many seasons ago. We WARNED you that forcing everything into a cue would cause problems. Instead of leaving open instances for us to jump into (like the way SB 24 used to be...) we are now forced to wait until the minimum amount of players are there. With Limited playtime, how am i to make an informed decision on which cue will likely open the soonest? Talk about false positives, now you will have people "buckshotting" the cues in the hopes of getting into one that will play soon. Barring that, they will simply crowd to cues they know are usually populated, such as ISE and Colony Invasion. How does THAT help your internal metrics?

In closing, the people have spoken. Yes, the cosmetic changes are nice, but without the number of people cued, the Emperor really DOESN'T have any clothes...
Career Officer
# 70
11-07-2012, 11:39 PM
UNLESS I CAN QUEUE FOR EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE

I will have problems figuring out to which event it is best to queue in order to play in a TIMELY MANNER.

You really think i am gonna start queuing for GROUND STF without knowing if the odds that it starts within seconds is UNKNOWN?

Sorry, i do not buy your explanation for why it was removed.

I actually more think you prefer to hide the numbers because you fear the players will call you on them when the facts REALLY show that some queues ( like Ground STFs ) become EMPTY after season 7 starts.

There i said it.

That's my opinion.