Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 596
I'm a Tac officer (VA50). I've been flying mostly escorts - Fleet and also Advanced Tactical Refit (i.e. Defiant with the cloak) - however, I'm ready to try something new. I'll have enough Dil converted to exchange into 2500 zen in another day or so, which means I can buy pretty much any ship in the catalog.

I've been leaning towards trying something larger - the Tac Odyssey or perhaps the new Regent class Sovereign refit. However, I'm not sure - the regular Assault Cruiser (which I also have) is too limiting in terms of Tac officer slots, and I'm wondering which of the other big alternatives offers a better "fit" for my specialty.

Is there a good big ship option for a seasoned (1000s of Elite STFs under my belt) Tac officer like me? Or should I just stick with my own class and go for something more exotic, like the Multi-Vector Prometheus build? Any other options coming down the pike with Season 7 that are worth considering?

Advice/Recommendations appreciated.

RCK01 (a.k.a. Jacob Lightener, Captain of the Purple Avenger/Purple Avenger 2)
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,352
# 2
11-08-2012, 07:37 AM
The Vesta might interest you.

If you are flying escorts, you are sort of used to fragile ships, but it will have much better shields and retain the ability to use cannons.

It is much bigger than an escort, practically cruiser size but much more maneuverable (not quite escort level).

It hasa commander science station, apart from that you can model it like any ship you want thanks to universal LC and Ensign stations.

There will be 3 different flavoured versions, so you can pick the one with your favourite console layout, special ability and hull configuration.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 596
# 3
11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
The Vesta might interest you.

If you are flying escorts, you are sort of used to fragile ships, but it will have much better shields and retain the ability to use cannons.

It is much bigger than an escort, practically cruiser size but much more maneuverable (not quite escort level).

It hasa commander science station, apart from that you can model it like any ship you want thanks to universal LC and Ensign stations.

There will be 3 different flavoured versions, so you can pick the one with your favourite console layout, special ability and hull configuration.
The Vesta is coming with Season 7, yes? Then perhaps I'll hold off until it drops and I can check it out more closely. Thanks for the rec!

And BTW, "fragile" is a relative term. I duke it out with entire squadrons of battleships and cruisers in Starbase Fleet Defense and somehow survive. Gotta luv that M.A.C.O. set, plus an extra EPTS courtesy of the extra engineering station on the Fleet Escort. I'm a tank - just a really small one.

RCK

Last edited by rck01; 11-08-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 487
# 4
11-08-2012, 07:43 AM
I would stay away from the oddy. But it also depends on how you want to play. If you are looking for a cruiser, try the regent or the excelsior. Also look for some build you might want to run. The dragon flag ship build is agood one for a cruiser. Look at it here.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ghlight=Dragon

Also a tac in a science vessel is nasty. But is would hold off until the vesta comes out and people start posting their builds unless you have an idea what you want to run.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
# 5
11-08-2012, 07:58 AM
You could always look at the heavy escort carrier I fly it myself and quite enjoy it although it is a little fragile, but I think I've messed up my Eng consoles which I need to fix
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 487
# 6
11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxus1 View Post
You could always look at the heavy escort carrier I fly it myself and quite enjoy it although it is a little fragile, but I think I've messed up my Eng consoles which I need to fix
I would have to ask why? If built right it is the most durable escort in the game.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
# 7
11-08-2012, 08:06 AM
yeah I just messed up my outfitting and haven't fixed it yet been to busy leveling up my alt oh and I need to replace the fighters
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,021
# 8
11-08-2012, 08:12 AM
my hint is:
fleet reconnaisance science vessel. (if you have access to; 4 fsm= 2000zen/2.000.000ec + 200.000 fc's.
possible build suggest:
-2 purple conn doff's
-2 beam overload, 1 tacteam)
if you want a valiant cruiser for everything (don't use the metreon, it's boring):
regent class. that torp alone is a nice gadget for each of my cruisers/science vessels.

Klink: House of Beautiful - J'Luc / Rommie: Lag Industries - D'Waste
Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PLZ ADD MARKS-TO-CHOOSE PACKS AND AFK/LEAVER PENALTY TO PVP PUBLIC QUES (not privates!)
AND DON'T TOUCH OUR DIL!!!

Last edited by wast33; 11-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 471
# 9
11-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck01 View Post
I'm a Tac officer (VA50). I've been flying mostly escorts - Fleet and also Advanced Tactical Refit (i.e. Defiant with the cloak) - however, I'm ready to try something new. I'll have enough Dil converted to exchange into 2500 zen in another day or so, which means I can buy pretty much any ship in the catalog.

I've been leaning towards trying something larger - the Tac Odyssey or perhaps the new Regent class Sovereign refit. However, I'm not sure - the regular Assault Cruiser (which I also have) is too limiting in terms of Tac officer slots, and I'm wondering which of the other big alternatives offers a better "fit" for my specialty.

Is there a good big ship option for a seasoned (1000s of Elite STFs under my belt) Tac officer like me? Or should I just stick with my own class and go for something more exotic, like the Multi-Vector Prometheus build? Any other options coming down the pike with Season 7 that are worth considering?

Advice/Recommendations appreciated.

RCK01 (a.k.a. Jacob Lightener, Captain of the Purple Avenger/Purple Avenger 2)

i am a tac VA50 also. i am a big fan of oddys and really like both the tac and sci oddy. the sci oddy is one of my favorite and most reliable all around ships.

i also have the regent and the regent is a nice ship too. so you have a very tough choice.

i would recommend you take your time, research and wait to see what becomes available in season 7.

i posted a survey asking what people think are the top 5 and bottom 5 current ships. i'm hoping this will help me make some decisions.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 596
# 10
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958 View Post
i am a tac VA50 also. i am a big fan of oddys and really like both the tac and sci oddy. the sci oddy is one of my favorite and most reliable all around ships.

i also have the regent and the regent is a nice ship too. so you have a very tough choice.

i would recommend you take your time, research and wait to see what becomes available in season 7.

i posted a survey asking what people think are the top 5 and bottom 5 current ships. i'm hoping this will help me make some decisions.
Well, the more I look at my options, the more I feel like I really don't have any. It all comes down to bridge stations. The Regent looks nice, until you realize that the "universal" bridge station slot is really just a placeholder for a sci officer. After all, you can't really fly effectively without at least one sci officer on the bridge - for tractor beam support, at the very least.

The oddy looks a bit more flexible in this regard, but even then I'm losing critical Commander-level capabilities, like APO3. I guess escaping from movement-inhibiting debuffs isn't such a big deal in a "tank," but it still feels like I'm giving up way too much in return for more staying power.

If they would only put out a big ship with true Tac officer support - or at least a universal Commander-level slot so I can leverage/transfer all of my advanced tac skills.

In the end, I'll probably stick with my own ship category/class and grab the MVAM escort with the console. Any known downsides to this ship class? Advice on how to get the best out of one? Is the separation thingy actually useful or more of a gimmick (like the cloak on my Defiant - what a waste)?

RCK
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 AM.