Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
11-07-2012, 12:56 PM
The Star Wars universe has a pretty full story line now thanks Lucas Films approved novelization, but we are 20 years too late for any of the original characters to play any active role convincingly. Unless they are doing it in CG I don't see how, none of these characters has aged well. Maybe cameo roles, Luke playing an Old Yoda type sage, Han as some old General and Leia as an ancient Senator, all acting in supporting roles to a younger generation who will be the real stars of the show.
The last Raiders of the lost Ark film was just horrible, even then Ford was just a bit too geriatric to be convincing as an action hero type.
They are all just too old, Fisher would need a body transplant to look as good as she did decades ago and Hamill has gotten as fat as Bill Shatner. It wouldn't be doing the franchise any favors giving the old hands too much screen time.
Whatever Disney does I just hope it's not another G_dd_mn prequel.
Career Officer
# 12
11-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I could see Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford coming back, and playing their original roles, as both have aged well, but Carrie looks nothing like she used to. Even her voice is different. When I saw her on TV I didn't even know it was her!

I would like them to come back, but I don't know where the story can take them. The Empire was defeated, the Emperor dead, Vader turned to the light side. Any story they do with the original actors won't have the same impact as the original and is likely to disappoint.

I hope they do it justice though. Pirates of Carribean was really good. If they can pull off something of that quality I'm sure they can do good with Star Wars and make something better than the Prequels!
Career Officer
# 13
11-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes, but in a different capacity. Luke, has rebuilt the Jedi temple, and has the "Yoda" position within.
Han, and Leia are married, with young adult children. Han is a retired general from the republic army.Leia is a powerhouse politician in the republic senate.
C-3PO is still annoying.
Focus the story around the kids of the original cast,and lukes"chosen favorite jedi"
Let the originals be part of the story, but not the focus of it.
Id pay to see it.Only because it was a close second to startrek when I was a child.
You will learn that Delta Rising is the best expansion ever.YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Captain
# 14
11-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Well I wouldn't say the Empire was defeated, there were plenty of fat cat politicians, corrupt generals etc., that would be willing to step into the role of dictator rather than give up the power they enjoyed, you don't end a corrupt government just by killing off the leader especially if that government is supported by a massive military.
Rihannsu
# 15
11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjhunter View Post
Yes, but in a different capacity. Luke, has rebuilt the Jedi temple, and has the "Yoda" position within.
Han, and Leia are married, with young adult children. Han is a retired general from the republic army.Leia is a powerhouse politician in the republic senate.
C-3PO is still annoying.
Focus the story around the kids of the original cast,and lukes"chosen favorite jedi"
Let the originals be part of the story, but not the focus of it.
Id pay to see it.Only because it was a close second to startrek when I was a child.
Yeah, this would work well as a show based on the new generation of Jedi. Having the old guard around isn't necessarily bad, but they'd end up taking a back seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Well I wouldn't say the Empire was defeated, there were plenty of fat cat politicians, corrupt generals etc., that would be willing to step into the role of dictator rather than give up the power they enjoyed, you don't end a corrupt government just by killing off the leader especially if that government is supported by a massive military.
And those would be the bad guys.....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Last I checked with my girlfriend, Star Wars 7, 8, and 9 are set waaayy past those times.
Career Officer
# 17
11-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
I'd rather not see another Star Wars movie after the mess that was made with the prequels and the direction the EU has taken since Phantom Menace came out.
I would rather not see another one either. The original trilogy were the only good movies. The prequels were garbage. The skill at story writing and character development required to believably take Annakin Skywalker from an annoying but likeable kid, to a terrible monster was waaaaaaay beyond George Lucas's abilities. Thus the entire trilogy ended up being crap. Seriously, it takes a master storyteller to make that story work, and even then it would be a challenge.

At this point I think the quality of the first Star Wars movies was largely a result of luck. And Harrison Ford being cast as Han Solo was a big part of the movies being decent. An actor with less ability would not have been able to pull off Han Solo like that, and I could easily see the character completely falling flat.

I have no hopes for further movies now that Disney has their hands on it either. It might be a step up from Lucas, but it's a very small step. Tron Legacy was garbage. It jettisoned all of the stuff that made the original good, and replaced it with special effects and a ridiculous faux-deeper-meaning plot that was nearly incoherent.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 18
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
nagorak, Don't you think the quility of any new live action movies will be better, now they Disney owns Lucasarts? Yes, I understand you need good to great writers, and I am sure that isn't a dead art in hollywood.

Speaking of Tron Legacy, I still hear they are working on a 3rd film. Now that Lucasarts in part of Disney, I can see them adding their touch to any new films.

I am going to wait and see what the new SW turns into, it's easy to say it's all going to be crap, but I believe there is a huge chance it will be great again. Outside of the main film Episode 4, lucas wasn't that great with his stroy telling, Special Effects super great, story telling not so great. Does anyone remember Episode 5? The Empire Strikes Back? Now who wrote that one? To me when you let others write the story, it can come off better. So again I will see what happens.
Career Officer
# 19
11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, I'll say there is more hope than with Lucas. We'll see what happens. Maybe Disney will do alright. I guess I was just so disappointed with Tron Legacy that it taints my opinion of them. Granted that's not like the only Disney movie ever made. Although being sci-fi it might be closest to Star Wars.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Rihannsu
# 20
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Well, I'll say there is more hope than with Lucas. We'll see what happens. Maybe Disney will do alright. I guess I was just so disappointed with Tron Legacy that it taints my opinion of them. Granted that's not like the only Disney movie ever made. Although being sci-fi it might be closest to Star Wars.
I honestly had few complaints about Tron Legacy. I loved the ending though! Seriously though, the first Tron was novel because it was a new idea. I'm not really sure what you saw in it that I didn't but the new one seemed to be a pretty faithful sequel.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.