Community Moderator
# 281
11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvehero View Post
This just occured to me: If someone has his forum account hacked (like a password theft), and the hacker posts something worth a perma-ban on the forum. (imagine a user you've offended in game or real life, who wants to get back at you). You log in the next day, and find you're banned, with no explanation to what you did wrong, just the nature of the crime.... You file a ticket, and you're just getting a list of the rules you broke as reply, and the ticket is closed. And you still don't know that you were hacked. Is there any way to get to know exactly what you did wrong? (Then you could at least know what it was that went wrong, or if something was posted in your name without you knowing)

I'm curious about this, as lots of players spend more time in forum than in game, and loosing forum privileges can be sort of a big deal... And you would also loose access to the dev-tracker, wich would be painful for a PvP player trying to stay on top of coming changes.
I can't claim to know the mechanism behind Account Guard, but I do know that it was specifically put in place to prevent account hijacking. It links use of your account to one or more computers that you authorize, and you're notified via email that a computer has been authorized against your account. That's the whole point of it.

This is an example of an email you'd get from Account Guard (personal info has been changed for my protection):

Quote:
A new computer named ?SOMEPC? has been authorized to your account on SOMEDATE, 2012 at SOMETIME PM EST from the following IP address: REALIPADDRESS

If you did not authorize this computer on your account, we suggest you change your password immediately and contact Customer Support to ensure this location is de-authorized.
Now again, I do not know by what means Account Guard does what it does. As a computer professional, I have vague and speculative guesses, but I don't know. Even if I did, I wouldn't say anything that might help someone hack around it. It might be able to track down a banned user trying to log in from an authorized computer, but that's only speculation on my part and I have no direct knowledge one way or the other.

The main point is, if you're not doing anything unwise you really shouldn't lose any sleep over the possibility that you're going to get your account hacked and banned. It's just not likely. Your account is better protected than a lot of other online accounts are.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 282
11-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Let me remind you all again:

I like the discussion going on in here, but forum rules are now being broken. Please do not discuss personal moderation that's been taken against you. You can discuss moderation in general, not related to a specific incident or person, but revealing that you've been banned or warned, or your ban or warning reasons, is not appropriate.

I'd rather not hand out warnings or infractions in this thread.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I think this thread has pretty much run it's course. I too have had infractions and warnings that I feel were undeserved, but do I care on the grand scheme of things? Nah, not really. Get over it chaps.

-Yes, the PVP forums do get heated, yes warnings and infractions are certainly required. But it can't be forgotten that no community is like the PVP community, it's more heated. People get annoyed when somebody enters and says something that could not be further from the truth. They get aggravated when they are promised things and then being politely told to wait longer. They get aggravated when a new season comes out that could clearly have given PVP more substance - and doesn't.

-Yes, the PVP forums would be a friendlier place if even one individual wasn't here anymore. An individual that causes more infractions either from himself or in reply to him then any other, that causes more bad feeling in and out of the game then any other.

-The general feeling and energy of the PVP forums is never more positive, never stronger then when Developers are around. When Gozer called this place home it was like an awakening. He gave direction and at least the impression that things were improving and progress was being made. If that is to return then we need to know who this new developer is that's taken over Gozer's mantle and see him making an impression, sharing some ideas and looking for feedback. PVPers WANT the game to do well, we WANT longevity and consistency. You're average PVPer spends more money then nearly all PVE'ers, many of us are Trekkies, a lot of the have been here since Beta, they have an invested interest in Cryptic's survival.

-Yes, we could use some exclusive Moderators, they're not here to be a shoulder for us to cry on, they're not here to turn a blind eye when people get annoyed, but they are here to see the forums from a more specific viewpoint and understand where people are coming from. They'll see the inside jokes and can tell when somebody it having a joke with another player and when somebody is genuinely disrespectful. They should also be able to see a good idea or the shouts of a broken aspectr of the game early on so it can be resolved. They need to be able to take that to Brandon for viewing so he can decide how it goes up the ladder.

-----

Of course, all of this will be for nothing if things like the current Vesta spec goes live, it'll be a large nail in the PVP coffin that can't easily be undone. Think about that.

Last edited by aquitaine985; 11-09-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 283
11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I can't claim to know the mechanism behind Account Guard, but I do know that it was specifically put in place to prevent account hijacking. It links use of your account to one or more computers that you authorize, and you're notified via email that a computer has been authorized against your account. That's the whole point of it.
Doesn't this apply to the game client only? I can't remember ever having to verify my account to log onto the forum....
Community Moderator
# 284
11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvehero View Post
Doesn't this apply to the game client only? I can't remember ever having to verify my account to log onto the forum....
I couldn't remember, but I went to look at my Account Guard settings and had to authenticate my browser in order to do that. I have no other browsers authenticated previously, only my other computer.

So I guess the answer is that it doesn't apply to the forum. I am in error.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 285
11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I couldn't remember, but I went to look at my Account Guard settings and had to authenticate my browser in order to do that. I have no other browsers authenticated previously, only my other computer.

So I guess the answer is that it doesn't apply to the forum. I am in error.
I think there was a seperate option for IP and Browser when I added the account recently. Not sure though.
Empire Veteran
# 286
11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
But aquitaine985, we've been getting told to wait since Season 2... I think a little of the heat that politely being told to yet again wait generates is a touch warranted.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.
Career Officer
# 287
11-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
But aquitaine985, we've been getting told to wait since Season 2... I think a little of the heat that politely being told to yet again wait generates is a touch warranted.
Totally agree! I only started PVPing with any real intent since December, so I don't come close to those that have waited so long, but I think the message is clear now
Career Officer
# 288
11-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
I think this thread has pretty much run it's course.
Has it? My impression is that there are still very different understandings of the problem at hand, not all of which everybody seems to have had a chance to understand yet.

Quote:
-Yes, the PVP forums do get heated, yes warnings and infractions are certainly required. But it can't be forgotten that no community is like the PVP community, it's more heated.
Pardon, but that sounds more like a lame excuse for bad manners than anything else. Discussions can be just as heated, or even more so, in other subforums - look at Klingon Gameplay, or the threads about the smaller Dilithium rewards. Yet, over there, fewer insults, if any.

Quote:
-Yes, the PVP forums would be a friendlier place if even one individual wasn't here anymore. An individual that causes more infractions either from himself or in reply to him then any other, that causes more bad feeling in and out of the game then any other.
It seems they have all been either banned or reminded of the forum rules thoroughly enough. Which is probably the reason why the tone has improved, as Brandon has pointed out.

Quote:
-The general feeling and energy of the PVP forums is never more positive, never stronger then when Developers are around.
I would really, really like to hear Borticus' opinion about that statement. Because from reading the threads he was involved in, I got the feeling that his perception was not exactly one of "positive feeling and energy". That is just my opinion, though.

Quote:
-Yes, we could use some exclusive Moderators, they're not here to be a shoulder for us to cry on, they're not here to turn a blind eye when people get annoyed, but they are here to see the forums from a more specific viewpoint and understand where people are coming from.
But keep in mind that they will still have to enforce the forum rules.

Quote:
Of course, all of this will be for nothing if things like the current Vesta spec goes live, it'll be a large nail in the PVP coffin that can't easily be undone. Think about that.
If you replace "Vesta" with "Armitage" in that sentence, you might find a few old forum threads. In fact, that kind of statement seems to be more of a welcoming hail to new ship classes in STO. Such hyperbole is also something that is not quite right with PvP subform culture, in my opinion, although it is of course not against any rules (and should not be).
Career Officer
# 289
11-10-2012, 06:46 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 11-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.