Captain
# 101
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Another thought is adding a "Random Queue" feature. Using WoW's "Dungeon Finder" as example, you queue for a random dungeon, complete the dungeon, and get rewarded with a "bonus" for having completed a random dungeon.

Why couldn't the same work for STO? Obviously you need to provide a few additional options;

Random Space STF
Random Ground STF
Random Space 5-man Event
Random Ground 5-man Event
Random Space Fleet Action
Random Ground Fleet Action

In "that other game", you also got a special "buff" for having queued with random players. Not necessarily a "must have", but certainly beneficial enough.
Lt. Commander
# 102
11-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickskynight View Post
Hi Brandon,

I've had jobs all my life. One thing that my jobs have taught me is that the customer is always right. Make sure to pass that along to your team as well. Not showing who is waiting to play on the list is obviously not a popular choice.
I have also worked in with customers. They are not always right. Sometimes they are plain wrong, and other times they are totally silly.

I had a guy argue with me that, despite the fact that the Filet of Fish Meal + Medium Drink on the order screen added up to $4.99* like the menu board said, he should only have to pay the $3.49 the screen listed as the reader board said and not the additional $1.50 it said for the drink, simply because the screen said 'meal' and 'meal' should include the drink.

The menu said the price, and the total said the same price, yet he argued, held up drive thru, and also got other customers behind him to try and explain how it worked.

He was wrong, or at least silly, just because he had some idea how he thought it should work, even thought it clearly (to everyone else) didn't work that way, and in fact worked exactly as planned, and effectively.

*arbitrary example price.
Rihannsu
# 103
11-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivalrybean View Post
I have also worked in with customers. They are not always right. Sometimes they are plain wrong, and other times they are totally silly.

I had a guy argue with me that, despite the fact that the Filet of Fish Meal + Medium Drink on the order screen added up to $4.99* like the menu board said, he should only have to pay the $3.49 the screen listed as the reader board said and not the additional $1.50 it said for the drink, simply because the screen said 'meal' and 'meal' should include the drink.

The menu said the price, and the total said the same price, yet he argued, held up drive thru, and also got other customers behind him to try and explain how it worked.

He was wrong, or at least silly, just because he had some idea how he thought it should work, even thought it clearly (to everyone else) didn't work that way, and in fact worked exactly as planned, and effectively.

*arbitrary example price.
As a current retail slave I definitely concur. That's part of why I often don't bite the dev team's heads off if I don't like the service they're providing; the customer may well be right about being wronged, but the customer rarely knows all the details regarding *why* they were [or felt they were] given bad service.

And of course, there's the inflated sense of entitlement that silly little phrase has drilled into many customers... *shudder*
Survivor of Romulus
# 104
11-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssargon View Post
[...]
And of course, there's the inflated sense of entitlement that silly little phrase has drilled into many customers... *shudder*
While I have the luck to only work with gentle and polite customers (because I am self-employed and customers who aren't that just aren't my customers for very long, if at all), I observe that too, from time to time. Customers who actally believe that they are "always right" are usually ridiculed behind their back by all the other customers and the staff, if only with a small shared smile.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
# 105
11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Well the dear diary stories aside

When not a single player in the history of sto complained about it, how did it end up on top of your priority list - in front of things that people did want you to work on ?
It's obviously not even an issue for us but a HUGE problem for you is what you are saying right, so what exactly or how exactly is it a problem for you ?

Never had a problem myself, I even used the numbers to queue up manually with friends and always landed on the same map with them.

And I couldn't agree more with people it's not going to magically push us into playing empty fleet maps, sorry.

The best you can do is get on people's nerves when you force them into finding queues manually in chat channels.
Ensign
# 106
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
But it was, kinda. Let me explain.

The reason we decided to remove the number of players displayed in the queue is because the information being reported was inaccurate. It would often times report a false number of players queued for individual events. In reality there are thousands of game servers across the shard constantly running all the different events, but the previous column in the queue UI was under-and-over representing the number of players. The information being reported was in most cases only a small slice of how many people were in each queue.

We've removed this column for Season 7 because we do not feel it was reporting queue population properly and was giving false positives, when in fact most events are busy around the clock. Other popular MMO games do not display population in queues and manage just fine, so we are going to leave this column out for the S7 launch and see how it goes under a full population of users. ...

...Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
1) It might have been inaccurate, but it was accurate enough for people to get a good idea about approximately how soon a PvE mission would start.
1.1) this was useful when someone wanted to do a PvE mission, but was short on time.

2) Just because other MMOs do it doesn't mean you have to do it.
2.1) It's this thing called individuality.
2.2) Is there an outside company forcing you to do it?

3) I DON'T CARE IF CRYPTIC STUDIOS, OR PWE THOUGHT THE # OF PLAYERS QUEUED COUNTER WAS BROKEN, IF PLAYERS DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, DON'T BOTHER CHANGING IT!
Starfleet Veteran
# 107
11-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Whether it was accurate or not is rather unimportant since most people just used it to determine if there was general interest in a specific STF/FA/Hourly Event. No one going to complain about waiting 30-min because the queue population counter was not accurate, but they will gripe (as noticed) about having to guess about which mission is likely to start in 10 minutes or 1 hour. Especially with KDF only quequing that seems to take forever with the smallest population FAs.

Captain
# 108
11-15-2012, 05:48 PM
It looks really nice

I liked seeing other people I'n ques

The join team button should be switched
With the join solo button

Will not impact the solo player but would help
Teams from hitting join solo by mistake
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci