Starfleet Veteran
I'm looking for a new Windows desktop computer, because my laptop is running the game barely at 10 frames per second. It's been a real drag for my graphics card, even without shadow or anti-aliasing. As such, I've been having to fine-tune my proximity spots of scanning, and the minigames are choppy, having to wait a second to figure out if I got the laser or tricorder in the right spot.

I realize graphics aren't the game, but I don't to be able to not recognize.... anything.
Captain
# 2
11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Do you know how to assemble your own desktop? Its a lot cheaper and better quality than anything storebought (unless you buy something really expensive), and you know you'll get exactly the features you want without blowing money on extra stuff you don't need.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
im amazed that people would even try to play pc games on a lappy.

id recomend u get a custom built pc you can do it your self or order a custom built machine.
Career Officer
# 4
11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
And if you don't have the time or knowledge to build your own custom system, the Alienware division of Dell Computers offer a selection of desktop systems optimized for PC Gaming...
Career Officer
# 5
11-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Regardless if you buy a premade computer or make your own, there are some great resources out there for you!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...line,2553.html

You'll want at least a dual-core CPU as well as a good graphics card! STO seems to like the video card more than anything else. Now, this article is from STO's launch, so things will have changed (generally, count on a MMO putting on "weight" in terms of system requirements).

Also, when looking for video cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

You don't want to spend too much, but spending too little is also quite a pain.

I personally am running STO decently on my laptop (AMD A4 with an integrated Radeon) and very happily on my desktop (quad-core Intel C2D, Radeon 5750, 8g ram). Neither is a barn burner by today's standards!
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Lieutenant
# 6 here we go...
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Laptops for gaming are a joke and always have been.
Though technology has somewhat improved (through brute force) the ability of laptops to even run most modern games, there's a reason that desktops still win in the gaming department.

Better, faster, more stable, runs cooler, lasts longer, easier to clean and maintain.

Do you even know how to open up and clean out the inside of your laptop? No? Good luck with overheating then
You wanna pay someone to do it? Or you wanna just get a desktop that you can pop the covers off and use a cheap can of compressed air on?
Career Officer
# 7
11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, honestly, most people don't know how to care for or maintain their own desktop PCs, so I'm not sure how a laptop is entirely different in that case. Most people won't upgrade their video card, RAM, or CPU for that matter.

That said, there is the simple fact that the price of a good gaming laptop will get you a significantly more powerful desktop. And, thankfully, Supergeek is looking for a desktop.

Quick thought: get at least an Intel i3. An i5 would be great (quad core). An i7 might be overkill? Be sure to get more than 4g of RAM, and a 64-bit version of Windows. Also, be sure to get a good power supply! Why? Your video card

Important question: what's your budget? That would help loads in terms of recommendations. Anyone can get a smoking machine for $4,000, but getting one for under $1,000 means there'll be some give and take between components.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Lieutenant
# 8 indeed...
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
People abuse technology all too easily, you're right on that front. Work in a GameStop and take a look at the way people treat their games then pity the fool that whines about low resale trade-in values. You pay for convenience or do the selling/trading yourself. GameStop is almost the equivalent of the MMO standby who takes any grey junk and almost always gives you at least something for it.

I have an AMD quad-core that was about half the price of a comparable intel processor. Since our computer-buyer may be wanting the most bang for his buck, might wanna look into getting the best deal before focusing on specific brands.

I also build my entire rig for under $1k, power supply, peripherals, and monitor included.

-Grab at least a dual-core CPU, doesn't matter whether it is AMD or Intel. Despite common superstition, AMD CPUs are not of poor-quality like some previous models may have been. Or maybe I got lucky with mine, but w/e.

-Grab at least 4 GB of RAM, preferably from Kingston, Corsair, etc. Good RAM does make a difference and you don't want cheap RAM that craps out on you and causes random computer issues to waste your time while in the middle of gaming.

-Research your power supplies and get a good name-brand one. Many people neglect this and pay dearly for it. Your power supply is connected to EVERYTHING so it HAS to be one of the best quality components in your system! The quality of power regulation DOES make a difference in how long the rest of your expensive components last!

-ASUS motherboard. Nothing else compares. Fantastic and handy BIOS.

Or just ignore all of us and make an account on a dedicated forum (like the [H]ardForums) and follow their rules to post a request. They have people who go out of their way to search for deals and you'll be much better off for it. They'll help you get compatible components that play nicely with each other, many of their forum veterans make their living doing system-building in r/l. Just be sure to follow the rules they have before posting!
Captain
# 9
11-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Intel i3 dual core if you're just gaming, or an i5 quad core for lots of multitasking as well (plus in the future, more games may be multithreaded).

8 gigs of quality RAM. 4 does most things now, but yay for future-proofing.

Motherboard by ASUS or Gigabyte. There are a number of quality companies (as well as some real junk ones), but these two are the best. I prefer Gigabyte personally, but thats because I've had some customer-service issues with ASUS in the past. A basic but feature laden model (though not the fancy-stuff top end one) should be around $150, less if on sale.

Graphics card, think $200-$300. Above that gets pretty awesome but a little silly, and in that range you can get either the GeForce 660 (or 660 Ti), or the Radeon 7870 (or 7950), all of which are very solid gamer cards without going overboard.

Power supply, get a reputable brand in the 500w-600w range. There are dozens of power supply companies, maybe 10 are worthwhile, with the rest being unstable, inefficient, short lifespan junk. There's also a couple really expensive kinds that are neat but not worth the price. Figure $50-$75.

Add on a half-decent case (Cooler Master makes a lot of good ones for around $50), an optical drive, a hard drive, a network card if you need wireless, and a copy of Windows if you don't have the disc for your old laptop, and you've got a solid gaming rig for under $1000.