Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 232
# 101
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
You don't have to try to go it alone when your ship is visble a half map away and the team spot you as a weak link in your team because you are in a slow cruiser with weak turn rate, and weak firepower. You can't tank forever if 3 or more ships are attacking you. Escorts are the main culprits that go after you because they can kill you faster and you lack real firpower to threaten them.

Anybody who plays PVP against established teams, know that the Galaxy is the weakest cruiser, and is most freaquently attacked whether docked or seperated. The power mods don't really add to my ship because my weapons are at 125 power 100%. The power is capped at 125 so you don't gain anything beyond that. Your shields become weaker and you HP is lowered. I can't shield tank as well as I can in the docked configuration. Another thing, you don't become an escort while separated because you don't gain the ability to arm cannons, you don't get extra Tac BOFF slots, and you don't gain extra Tac console slots. Flying fast does not qualify you as an escort, because medeum sized science ships can do the same thing.

You want to talk about reality, play the game more instead of hanging out in the forums. Reality is the Galaxy is the weakest cruiser in PVP by most player's account. The sauser separation doesn't add to your abilities, just flying faster until you are destroyed. You can't tank well in that configuration, and everybody knows your weakness with that ship. The beams from Galaxy Dread and the Negh'Var are almost double the DPS level of the Galaxy-R because have the extra Tac console slots and Tac BOFF slots. I own all 3 of those ships and can properly compare them. My Galaxy does not overpower my Negh'Var or match it in DPS. Only my Dread does, and thats because I put all the latest and greatest on it. If your Negh'Var is being bested by a separated Galaxy, then you must be flying it with only two Tac console slots filled and not utalizing your extra Tac Boff slot. (the Negh'Var comes with 3 Tac console slots).

If you haven't figured out how make your ship fly around with 125 pow 100% then you need to go back into the game an experiment with new consoles and skill tree.
There's three reasons any PvPer would ever shoot at a cruiser:
- To find out if it's piloted by a noob (if it isn't, you won't make a dent, and will stop after a few seconds to find easier prey)
- To kill it if it got seperated into a 1v4 or 1v5 situation
- Anytime for a free kill if it is piloted by a noob.

The Galaxy-R is ... a noob magnet. Maybe even worse than the Ody.
No decent PvPer will ever go after a good Galaxy - it's not worth the effort, you could just as well shoot at a brick wall.
Your Galaxy though ... yeah, that probably has a targeting crosshair painted on it.


But let's put the L2P excalmations aside for a second, and explain to you (again) your misconception about weapon power, maybe you'll learn it some day:

If you put weapon power at 125, then, with an 8-beam config, your firing sequence would look like this:
Beam 1: 125 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 2: 115 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 3: 105 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 4: 95 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 5: 85 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 6: 75 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 7: 65 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
Beam 8: 55 - - 55 - - 55 - - 55
You'd be firing at an effective average power level of 63.75.

Now, let's do this again at 150 weapon power. As you mentioned, there is a cap at 125 - for each single shot! It will look like this:
Beam1 : 125 (150) - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam2 : 125 (140) - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam3 : 125 (130) - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam4 : 120 - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam5 : 110 - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam6 : 100 - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam7 : 90 - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
Beam8 : 80 - - 80 - - 80 - - 80
You'd be firing at an effective average power level of 87.34.
An increase in DPS of 37%!

Weapon power over 125 base is not lost - it counteracts weapon drain. And guess what Cruisers excel at? Right: the ability to build up insane levels of subsystem power. That's the key to Cruiser-DPS (also to cruiser tanking, since you need to output dps to make mobs shoot at you).
And that's also why the Galaxy-R's Saucer Seperation is indeed the Galaxy's DPS-mode.
You're complaining that your ship deals no damage in heal-mode ... and that it can't heal as well in dps-mode. You're doing it completely WRONG!

L2P!
(you had this coming, you knew that, right? :p)

If you're still not convinced: give me a tell ingame, and I'll show you what a cruiser can do.
Please get rid of (cross-)Healing in space

Last edited by flekh; 11-10-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: failed at copy&paste
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,619
# 102
11-10-2012, 11:38 AM
everything you say can be applied to any other cruiser and work better there. no mater what you choose to do, if you fly any other cruiser, you will perform your chosen task better then you will in a galaxy R. an ensign of any other type would be more useful, a 3rd ens eng hamstrings its damage dealing or healing with global cooldowns for another team ability, or global cooldowns for EPtX skills. not to mention the turn issue that cripples it in basically every way.

i still use the galaxy R sometimes, because its my favorite ship from trek. ive also gotten it to deal more damage then anyone else has in game, from this build here. but every time i jump from it to an excelsior, its literally twice as effective.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 232
# 103
11-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
everything you say can be applied to any other cruiser and work better there. no mater what you choose to do, if you fly any other cruiser, you will perform your chosen task better then you will in a galaxy R. an ensign of any other type would be more useful, a 3rd ens eng hamstrings its damage dealing or healing with global cooldowns for another team ability, or global cooldowns for EPtX skills. not to mention the turn issue that cripples it in basically every way.

i still use the galaxy R sometimes, because its my favorite ship from trek. ive also gotten it to deal more damage then anyone else has in game, from this build here. but every time i jump from it to an excelsior, its literally twice as effective.
If this thread was about that ensign ... yeah, then you might have my support for it. Well, at least for the Fleet version, the Gal-R is fine as it is.
Fine?
Yes, fine. Every cruiser has a slightly different role and focus. The Galaxy happens to be the cruiser chosen for a more Heal&Support-focused layout, not one of the more tac- or sci-focused ones. That you don't like the fact that this iconic ship, your favorite, got "shafted" that way - tough luck. Sorry.
But that Ensign isn't "useless" - use-impaired, maybe, but it has its uses.
In fact, it actually gives you the opportunity to give the Galaxy some versatility: by running different EptX combinations, for example.
EPtS+EPtW for combat mode in Sep config.
EPtS+EptA for healer duty in brick mode, or to prime for Aux2Bat usage.
EPtS+EPtE for bursts of mobility in brick mode.

Build (Eng only):
Cmdr Eng: EPtW1, EPtS2, ES2, Aux2SIF3
LCdr Eng: EPtA1, RSP1, Aux2Bat2
Ens Eng: EPtE1
3x Damage Control Engineer as DOffs, and you have a ship that can basically do everything. And quite well.
Just one example.
Some other builds make use of the third Ens Eng with an ET1 for an additional heal. Also viable.

The Galaxy might not how YOU want to play. But that doesn't mean she's useless.

As for turning: see, above, the section that says "L2P! Use the f'ing Saucer Seperation console!".

Oh, and btw: stop pretending that the Galaxy-R is the worst T5 Cruiser. It isn't. There's always the Star Cruiser, that doesn't come with any DPS-mode, or any mobility-mode - that one is pure brick. The Galaxy-R, if used right (Saucer Sep for dps!) can nearly match the Assault Cruiser, and outperforms it in terms of versatility.
It's really fine for a RA T5 ship.
Please get rid of (cross-)Healing in space

Last edited by flekh; 11-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,619
# 104
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
^pve'er logic, that build is good for nothing. and the star cruiser or ody with a star cruiser configuration is the best healer in the game actually, excluding tholian lock box ships.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 105
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Just make the ensign universal on fleet version and reduce the cooldown on saucer sep to 2 min. And you have one good ship. Beside, the fact its not just a free toggle is some artifical penalty, because some dev doesn't like the ship.

Last edited by dalnar83; 11-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 232
# 106
11-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
^pve'er logic, that build is good for nothing. and the star cruiser or ody with a star cruiser configuration is the best healer in the game actually, excluding tholian lock box ships.
^pvp'er arrgogance, that build is useful for everything except PvP premade matches against good teams. It easily pushes 4.xk dps, can tank, can heal, can move fast. Useful in any ESTF or Fleet Event, and not a total dud in PvP either.
It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that in premade PvP with optimized teams, most ships are actually "useless" (as in: not optimized for the roles required) - at that level, it's all: Ody, Fleet Defiant, Lockbox ships, Carriers ... yeah, that's it. If you want to argue that line, have fun - you'll never get ALL ships to the same level for that purpose. Not even remotely possible.

I'll agree on the Star Cruiser or (Science) Ody for best healer part - thank you for agreeing that turn rate is of no importance for that job. Or did you forget that the Ody is even more a whale than the Galaxy?
Please get rid of (cross-)Healing in space
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 107
11-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
Yes.I do know what I ma talking about as Taldren describes the Gal as a DN.It is what all the modders call it a DN and Neg a BB.

It is CBS/Paramount who recieves the royalties.the ToS Enterprise has just phaser not phase cannons.Gene might of got some of it untill Desilu was bought up by Paramount in which he probably still got some.

I know this as to the Site I work on as we have been around 13 years telling the news of Star Trek.
Oh for the love of god. Are you blind or just plain stupid? I was talking about this game. Which I know for a fact you seem to know nothing about. THIS GAME. Your response is null in the context of THIS GAME.

All your experience would be perfectly fine and I would bow to your knowledge... involving... wait for it... CANON. Which... wait for it... THIS GAME IS NOT.

Let me try it one more time. The Galaxy is an EXPLORATION CRUISER in the context of THIS GAME. The Neg'vhar is a HEAVY BATTLECRUISER in the context of THIS GAME.

Not canon. Not tech manuals. Not your reporting website. THIS. BLOODY. GAME.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,976
# 108
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong... wasn't this thread opened with the intention of discussing turn rates?

*Runs for his life*
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 109
11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong... wasn't this thread opened with the intention of discussing turn rates?

*Runs for his life*
*Catches and brings him back*

Yes it was. It was opened to discuss an apparent discrepancy between the Neggy and Galaxy, since OP was under the impression that since the Neggy was seemingly larger, that it should have just as crappy a turn-rate as the Galaxy.

Shortly thereafter, the KDF vs Fed ships war started, and then information on the neggy and galaxy started being brought in, then some idiot that I am currently arguing tried to compare canon to this game which isn't canon, and then from thereon out it just got nuts.

Alles Klar? XP
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,031
# 110
11-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Just give the Exploration Cruiser a hanger! Might as well since already have a escort and a science FDC. Even if such a change was made I can't see it comparing to a Vesta or Armitage except in the survival department.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 PM.