Ensign
So since I can't post my own topic, figured I'd attach it to this one.

My computer is shutting down as well when I load STO. I'm fully patched with STO and all of my drivers and such. IT IS NOT A TEMPERATURE ISSUE. If anyone suggests it is temperature I'll slap them silly. My computer does it whether it is just on, been on for awhile, whatever. My computer runs anything else fine, including LOTRO, TOR, and it even ran STO just fine for ages pre F2P but I decided I wanted to come back for F2P and reinstalled from Steam and the only hardware change from then till now is a GPU upgrade.

I'm about ready to just give it up as it's just driving me nuts that I'm having this kind of issue.

Again, my machine IS NOT overheating, just trust me on this. I'm completely updated on all drivers, OS, the game, etc. Again, right after I hit engage on the launcher, I'll see the cryptic full screen loading thingy and the bar going across, then system shuts off.

I have 2 monitors and I don't know if that has any affect on it but if I have to disconnect it or something like that to play now, then I'm done with STO for good. (and yes, I tried with just one plugged in, and no difference)

Thanks for any and all help. And if this is able to be split into a new thread, I'd appreciate it thanks!

Last edited by cuchir; 11-10-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
11-10-2012, 06:13 PM
It's a power issue. I guaran-sodding-tee you that it is a power issue. Might be a loose cable or it might be a dud psu, but it's a power issue if it isn't a heat issue.

Cheap psu?
Ensign
# 23
11-10-2012, 09:00 PM
just a shot in the dark but did you disable the onboard video card on your motherboard when you installed your video card? maybe STO is having a PCI-E conflict between the two video adapters?
Ensign
# 24
11-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
It's a power issue. I guaran-sodding-tee you that it is a power issue. Might be a loose cable or it might be a dud psu, but it's a power issue if it isn't a heat issue.

Cheap psu?
If it was a power issue, why then does nothing else shut off my system. I actually decided to stress my system so I ran LOTRO and TOR at the same time.... system was fine. The power supply is more than enough. And again, I used to run STO with this same system fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bu1itt View Post
just a shot in the dark but did you disable the onboard video card on your motherboard when you installed your video card? maybe STO is having a PCI-E conflict between the two video adapters?
No on-board video on the card. nVidia 680i LT SLI.

Could there be an odd hold-over setting from my old video card that is some kind of preference that is doing it? I have done uninstalls and reinstalls since then, but the rest of the data on my comp has stayed the same. Not sure where that data would be though.
Survivor of Romulus
# 25
11-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Afaik neither LOTRO or TOR stress the CPU as much as STO.
Ensign
# 26
11-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
Afaik neither LOTRO or TOR stress the CPU as much as STO.

Well I also have a CPU gauge going and it's not being hard pressed by STO at that point at all. And I've done much worse to this comp CPU-wise and still it's handled it.

Again, I've run STO before (pre F2P) just fine. It's just since I've tried to come back that I've had this issue.
Career Officer
# 27
11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't know why everyone NOT having a problem wants to scream "Power issue"

My husband has just installed the game and keeps getting BSOD.

I have been running the game for a month and just this past week started getting the "display driver" error message.

Can someone who knows something besides "power issue" please answer? Someone from the game's tech dept maybe? I have looked in several threads and have yet to see an official tech answer from someone on the tech team.

Thank you
Career Officer
# 28
11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrekkie View Post
I don't know why everyone NOT having a problem wants to scream "Power issue"

My husband has just installed the game and keeps getting BSOD.

I have been running the game for a month and just this past week started getting the "display driver" error message.

Can someone who knows something besides "power issue" please answer? Someone from the game's tech dept maybe? I have looked in several threads and have yet to see an official tech answer from someone on the tech team.

Thank you
To help diagnose this we need more than just BSOD and Display Driver.. Please use BlueScreenView (how to use it here)and post what the exact error was, for the display driver go into event viewer and please post the details of the message associated with it.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 29
11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post
To help diagnose this we need more than just BSOD and Display Driver.. Please use BlueScreenView (how to use it here)and post what the exact error was, for the display driver go into event viewer and please post the details of the message associated with it.
Thank you for responding. My apologies. I am not a techie person so I thought that having the same problem as so many others would be enough. I am working on getting this info to you. The email I received from support was not helpful

Hopefully we can get this working.

P.S. Thank you for not saying it's a power issue
Career Officer
# 30
11-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrekkie View Post
Thank you for responding. My apologies. I am not a techie person so I thought that having the same problem as so many others would be enough. I am working on getting this info to you. The email I received from support was not helpful

Hopefully we can get this working.

P.S. Thank you for not saying it's a power issue
I'm not excluding it as a possible cause in the case of sto on the system as its a variable but having more info on the system will help to diagnose the issues further.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.