Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 21
11-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I think when there a few places to hide and a few obstacles to use is when the map gets good. Less is more so to speak. I would really like it if there were a handful of possible strategic elements that were randomly placed each time the PvP map generated.

Something like:

First main element - background

Could be maybe ten different backdrops that look nice. Everything you see there is basically out of the field of combat, just window dressing that makes a base toset the map up in.

second main element - obstacles

These can be anything from disabled or destroyed craft, planetoids, asteroid fields. A certain number would be randomly placed on one half the map then mirrored to the other side. These would need to be put in spots where they were useful for strategy, discouraging everyone from just flying up and away from the map. (all this does is make it take forever to get back to the fight, which is good for the team with the upper hand but really bad for the underdog)

Other than the actual useable elements, the rest of the central portion of the map should be really clean.

On my dream map, being close to the center would present some sort of advantage so neither team would benefit from hanging back. Maybe put some sort of SMALL buff to whichever team has the most control of the middle. (the best map of all to me functionally that we have right now is capture and hold, where you have to stay in the meat of the map to win) It might be extremely hard to program my dream map. I don't know a lot about this game's code and how it works other than what I have used in the foundry, so I am not sure what the devs can do that the foundry can't.

Mostly, what I think all the maps need is to look nice without being cluttered unless the clutter actually is something that get's in the way and so can be used strategically. (you know you love it when you enemy, while trying to get you out from his blind spot, manages to fly face first into a planet) On the Solar Wind map you have a resource intensive graphic that serves no purpose. If we had to avoid those "needles" of Solar Wind or suffer some ill effect and they were in waves that could be avoided, THAT would justify the graphic.
Career Officer
# 22
11-10-2012, 03:40 PM
You people who say you're getting lag on this map - mind posting your CPU, GPU and RAM so we can see whether or not you're trying to run this on an Intel Xtreme 3000 or an actual gamer card like a GTX680?

Because I love Solar Wind: it looks great and I NEVER get any slowdown or lag.
Commander
# 23
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
EVGA NVIDIA GeoForce GT 610
4 Gig Processor Quad Core
8 Gig Ram
40 MG Dedicated Line

Running game at about half max quality, just high enough to get the shininess on things that should be shiny.

I get excellent performance on every other map. For whatever reason processing all the wind dings on that map I can literally see them ticking along rather than moving smoothly. It seems to me that each ding is a separate graphic element from the way it affects things.

Only other thing I can think of is I am on running vista so it's not using DX11 it's DX9 but according to game spec requirements that shouldn't be a problem, unless the dings are reliant on DX11 somehow.
Career Officer
# 24
11-11-2012, 01:39 AM
It's your entry level notebook video card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.63759.0.html

In short, you need a computer that is actually suited for games and not basic multimedia.
Career Officer
# 25
11-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Even mid range setups get subpar performance in this game.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Empire Veteran
# 26
11-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Last night my machine had such a graphics overload on this map, with no warning there was a heart-wrenching "sigh" from the CPU, and my screen just when dark.

I took from it that the poor thing was exhausted Though it took about 4 secs for my mind to register the fact, as I was still frankly banging on the keyboard.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Easy fix for people with ati cards
, go to shadow option put it to none and then disable dynamic lightning.
Noone.
Career Officer
# 28
11-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Solar Wind, most boring map ever.

I wouldn't cry a tear for removing it.

It's really not the map to blame for the frame drop though, but Cryptic's unoptimized engine. I never ever managed to fully utilize any of my High End hardware with this game in certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardat View Post
You people who say you're getting lag on this map - mind posting your CPU, GPU and RAM so we can see whether or not you're trying to run this on an Intel Xtreme 3000 or an actual gamer card like a GTX680?

Because I love Solar Wind: it looks great and I NEVER get any slowdown or lag.
i7 3770K
GTX 670

The only way not to get my FPS below 60 is disabling Dynamic Lightning, Shadows, etc.
Again, unoptimized engine. The UI/HUD drawing process is also bound to two cores at most, and is obsolete compared to other games (Which all have the UI accelerated mostly by the GPU these days.

Lets not begin with the disappearing visual effects that have been happening since the day this game launched.

Last edited by marctraiderz; 11-11-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Even mid range setups get subpar performance in this game.
2008 computer,
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700
6 GB memory
Nvidia GeForce 9500GS

Seriously? This computer is considered subpar. It hasn't been upgraded at all, the memory and everything is still stock.

Either you don't know what you are talking about or you don't have a subpar computer.

I'm sorry, but this map has no problems with me whatsoever. Aside from feeling disoriented when playing it the first time, I have no lag or anything. The 20-fleet players map is still what lags me, but that's it.

This map doesn't need to be touched. Leave it as is. If your computer sucks, then get a new computer. Mine was "average" in 2008, it is considered "old" right now in late 2012.

So in all honesty, your computer isn't subpar. It is terrible.
Career Officer
# 30
11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeballs View Post
2008 computer,
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700
6 GB memory
Nvidia GeForce 9500GS

Seriously? This computer is considered subpar. It hasn't been upgraded at all, the memory and everything is still stock.

Either you don't know what you are talking about or you don't have a subpar computer.

I'm sorry, but this map has no problems with me whatsoever. Aside from feeling disoriented when playing it the first time, I have no lag or anything. The 20-fleet players map is still what lags me, but that's it.

This map doesn't need to be touched. Leave it as is. If your computer sucks, then get a new computer. Mine was "average" in 2008, it is considered "old" right now in late 2012.

So in all honesty, your computer isn't subpar. It is terrible.
I have a GTX 470, and an AMD quad core setup. I have never gotten smooth play out of it. To me smooth means no slowdown when there are a lot of objects on screen, no slowdown in activation of powers.

I have to turn down most options just to get it to feel better. My other games run well (30-40fps or higher at high to max settings)at my native res 1080p. I run Windows 7 64-bit. It's just this damn game that gives me problems.

There were old threads 1.5 years ago that detailed the problems people had with this game and mid to high end cards like 470-570 series cards. Those people got awful performance in the game at anything other than really low settings.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.