Career Officer
This seems to be the most relevant section in which it could gain the attention it needs

It seems to me from my experience there are a lot of people in need of a dedicated area of the forums that is exclusively used for fleet recruitment. Many people joining STO have a difficult time as it is, to even get to know good players. Especially ones that role-play.
This exclusive section for fleets

In order to accommodate all those players, this new section needs to be made in the following manner in the main section - with sub-sections - in which the section tree would look like this:

Star trek Online Role-playing / Factions / <insert Quadrant> / <insert fleet> / <insert fleet subsection>

Now in the place where 'quadrant' should be entered there can also be a different sub-section name (under Faction) such as 'Galaxy-wide' - for factions that don't exclusively operate in only one particular empire/house/battle-group, et.c..

In the place where the fleet subsection would be created, only the fleet-founder (read: one person) should be allowed to create a relevant sub-section for his fleet; whether that is a fleet history, fleet relations, contracts with other groups, and so on and so forth. These sub-sections - so as not to over crowd the forums - that are only created by the founder, should be limited to 4 important threads and 6 normal threads.
Keeping in mind that all of the threads are strictly role-play only...

For example:
For my fleet the IND, the main forum would look like this, with its relevant section tree at the top of the web page showing as:

Star trek Online Role-playing / Factions / Galaxy-wide / [IND] Independent Neuralnet Division

When the section (for any fleet) is opened, it should contain:

Important Threads

IND Memo dump (where the fleet members make brief messages on business progress around Sirius; including replies from leaders to a particular post)

Faction Status (which includes all relevant information about the fleet, its relations with other groups around the galaxy; possible a couple of locations which contain a relevant event - in rp of course - of the fleets clout in that region; join criteria and rules, which include rules of the road; Obligatory Ship, Weapon and Rank Listing; Political Diplomacy; and possibly special mentions of good/bad outstanding members of other fleets - basically a warning for fleet members with whom they should not associate {again, in-rp obviously})

and any other important sections relevant to fleet function/relations

Normal Threads all in rp, as usual

IND Recruitment (where people post, according to fleet guide lines, the relevant information for your potential acceptance into the fleet)

Eyes Only Memo (a section in which only fleet leaders bring to attention any relevant information for fleet members only - read: only fleet members respond to these)

An IND <fill in the blank> - First Notification section (which is optional) (which can contain only ONE message of a fleet leader pertaining to the creation of another division within the fleet; in STO it would obviously be a group within the main fleet that has a different role - or it could be a separate fleet that acts as if it is a secondary unit within the main fleet)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For clarification:

in the section tree Star trek Online Role-playing / Factions / Galaxy-wide / there would be a list of the fleets that operate galaxy-wide.

Each fleet listed in this sub-section would include relevant links underneath its name to its sub-section (for easy navigation, and to keep a players browser tidy )

so it would look something like this

A few fake and real fleets - in the above picture - have been used as examples in the section that lists the region with its relative subsections, the fleets.

In this example of the previous section in the forum tree, shows what the STO Role-playing forum would contain:

Star Trek Online Gaming Community / STO Role-Playing (click on link)

Note: of course the initial thread (i.e. the direct link to the main section of the fleet) would be created by the founder. Any subsection will also be created by the founder; possibly including their first officer.

I hope this helps considerable, and that you will strongly consider implementing such sections for fleets

P.S. In order for this to work, the moderators must be be extremely strict. For example, if someone posts oorp (out-of-role-play) comments in a section in which the leader has asked for it to be strictly role-play only, the post should be removed, by a moderator, at the request of the leader of the faction

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 11-11-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
11-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
T
P.S. In order for this to work, the moderators must be be extremely strict. For example, if someone posts oorp (out-of-role-play) comments in a section in which the leader has asked for it to be strictly role-play only, the post should be removed, by a moderator, at the request of the leader of the faction
Eh, I have no real problem with anyone role playing. I don't keep zone chat on anywhere, so it's not a big issue to me at all. In fact, I don't really like nor dislike your idea. We have the recruitment area of the forum already, it seems to have been working ok for all this time so far.

If they put in most of your idea, wouldn't really hurt nothing I suppose.

I just have one beef with it, the part of your message I left in the quote. I see three big problems stemming from that:

1. Trolls would follow you from the game to here. I mean, think about how many would gladly hop onto these forums, just to post stupid things in your area of the forum, and disrupt your RPs. Even if they were banned, it's so easy to make new accounts after all.

2. You're asking for moderators and devs, to spend a LOT of focused time only on your area of the forum, even if you reported certain posts quickly, it'd still mean they'd have to take time and edit or remove the post in question. Mods are volunteers only, and devs are busy enough with the rest of the forum.

3. It's asking for drama. Nothing personal, but the moment posts and such start getting made, there's gonna be trouble somehow. I don't know what those possibilities are, but they could be many, like I dunno...various people thinking they're being ignored in the RP or something. Again, not a role player, so I don't know what could happen exactly, it just smells of trouble.

It's a nice idea I suppose, and perhaps other RPers might agree with it, but again, the biggest problem I see is with what I put above.

Career Officer
# 3
11-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Eh, I have no real problem with anyone role playing. I don't keep zone chat on anywhere, so it's not a big issue to me at all. In fact, I don't really like nor dislike your idea. We have the recruitment area of the forum already, it seems to have been working ok for all this time so far.

If they put in most of your idea, wouldn't really hurt nothing I suppose.

I just have one beef with it, the part of your message I left in the quote. I see three big problems stemming from that:

1. Trolls would follow you from the game to here. I mean, think about how many would gladly hop onto these forums, just to post stupid things in your area of the forum, and disrupt your RPs. Even if they were banned, it's so easy to make new accounts after all.

2. You're asking for moderators and devs, to spend a LOT of focused time only on your area of the forum, even if you reported certain posts quickly, it'd still mean they'd have to take time and edit or remove the post in question. Mods are volunteers only, and devs are busy enough with the rest of the forum.

3. It's asking for drama. Nothing personal, but the moment posts and such start getting made, there's gonna be trouble somehow. I don't know what those possibilities are, but they could be many, like I dunno...various people thinking they're being ignored in the RP or something. Again, not a role player, so I don't know what could happen exactly, it just smells of trouble.

It's a nice idea I suppose, and perhaps other RPers might agree with it, but again, the biggest problem I see is with what I put above.
I know - a lot of immature people. Especially ones that start messaging you in local chat while you are rp, and stupidly tell you "stop rping!!" and then follow with some idiotic sexual tease.

I know.....if people were more mature like they are in Discovery mod for Freelancer, then STO wouldn't be oorp a lot of the time.
And yes, I know that Discovery Freelancer only has a few hundred players which makes it easier to moderate (its forums in specific sections are pure rp and heavily policed to keep it that way, even in-game its only rp - any oorp is dealt with, with warnings, and jail time in an unreachable system; mosly when players are overdoing the oorp are have committed other serious violations)
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 4
11-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback! We currently have a section of the forums dedicated to fleet recruitment here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78. We'll be going through a forum upgrade in the future and I'll be looking at what forums can be consolidated and what need to be added.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 5
11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Thanks for the feedback! We currently have a section of the forums dedicated to fleet recruitment here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78. We'll be going through a forum upgrade in the future and I'll be looking at what forums can be consolidated and what need to be added.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Oh i know that But all you can do there is only make one post. Everything will be jumbled together :/
Community Moderator
# 6
11-13-2012, 08:46 AM
I will say that I do like the idea of subdividing the fleet forums into categories to make it a little easier for people to find a suitable fleet.

Federation Fleets Forum
-> PvE Fleets Subforum
-> PvP Fleets Subforum
-> Role-Play/Social Fleets Subforum
-> Large Fleets Subforum

KDF Fleets Forum
-> PvE Fleets Subforum
-> PvP Fleets Subforum
-> Large Fleets Subforum

Not too many categories, or it would get ridiculous pretty fast. Nothing really stopping somone from posting in each subforum for their faction, but trying to maintain four different threads would get old fast.

Also, there's nothing stopping the Community from instituting their own de facto standard entry for the lead post that tells people the basics about that fleet and makes it a little easier to tell what that fleet is all about at a glance.

(Just an example...)

Fleet Name: SuperEliteFleet
Fleet Leader: JamesTPicard@2l33t4sto

Fleet Website/Forum: notareallink://www.forum.com/superelitefleet
Fleet Gaming Style: PvE, PvP, Elite-only, multinational
# of Members: 100
Starbase: T3
-> Military: T4
-> Engineering: T3
-> Science: T3

Fleet Motto: "Death By Plasma, Served Hot and Fast"

Fleet Description: (blah, blah, blah)
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 7
11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I will say that I do like the idea of subdividing the fleet forums into categories to make it a little easier for people to find a suitable fleet.

Federation Fleets Forum
-> PvE Fleets Subforum
-> PvP Fleets Subforum
-> Large Fleets Subforum

KDF Fleets Forum
-> PvE Fleets Subforum
-> PvP Fleets Subforum
-> Large Fleets Subforum

Not too many categories, or it would get ridiculous pretty fast. Nothing really stopping somone from posting in each subforum for their faction, but trying to maintain four different threads would get old fast.

Also, there's nothing stopping the Community from instituting their own de facto standard entry for the lead post that tells people the basics about that fleet and makes it a little easier to tell what that fleet is all about at a glance.

(Just an example...)

Fleet Name: SuperEliteFleet
Fleet Leader: JamesTPicard@2l33t4sto

Fleet Website/Forum: notareallink://www.forum.com/superelitefleet
Fleet Gaming Style: PvE, PvP, Elite-only, multinational
# of Members: 100
Starbase: T3
-> Military: T4
-> Engineering: T3
-> Science: T3

Fleet Motto: "Death By Plasma, Served Hot and Fast"

Fleet Description: (blah, blah, blah)
yeah a couple of those categories are too general. It would just cause more chaotic posts: in general categories, like it is right now. It wouldn't help. It would make things redundant. There should be ONE section for each Quadrant, and the respective sub-sections that link to the fleets (in each of the quadrant main sections). Jumbling every fleet under one banner won't change anything.

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 11-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.