Captain
# 61
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
When there is more information to provide, I will do so. Although, if you go check out the Neverwinter forums (who went through the same change we did, and then the upgrade), you'll notice that most are quite happy and there was no fiasco.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I -know- you know what "fiasco" I am referring to. You can hardly claim that STO's forums, when it was changed, went through "smooth sailing". All the old posts became "Archived Posts", all our old usernames became useless etc. So i'm sure you can understand how some of us may be a bit "jaded" and cautious in regards to any additional changes to this forum.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 62
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
I -know- you know what "fiasco" I am referring to. You can hardly claim that STO's forums, when it was changed, went through "smooth sailing". All the old posts became "Archived Posts", all our old usernames became useless etc. So i'm sure you can understand how some of us may be a bit "jaded" and cautious in regards to any additional changes to this forum.
I'm definitely not saying that the first STO change was smooth sailing, but we've learned many things from it. NW also went through that change, and then they just went through the second. The second change was very smooth, and I listed important notices in the OP for items that need player action.

Please know that this upcoming change is important for the forums, and is why I've requested STO to go last -- if anything unexpected comes up in the other games' forum upgrades, we'll learn from that and apply it to STO. So far, the ESO and NW transitions (2.0 as you call it) went very smooth and players are happy with it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 63
11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I'm definitely not saying that the first STO change was smooth sailing, but we've learned many things from it. NW also went through that change, and then they just went through the second. The second change was very smooth, and I listed important notices in the OP for items that need player action.

Please know that this upcoming change is important for the forums, and is why I've requested STO to go last -- if anything unexpected comes up in the other games' forum upgrades, we'll learn from that and apply it to STO. So far, the ESO and NW transitions (2.0 as you call it) went very smooth and players are happy with it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon ... You da man and you've got our respect and thanks!

Qapla' !!!!

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Career Officer
having read a particularly good idea a user posted here on the forum, I "+1'd" it. Adding my support to the OP's post, without having any addition comments on the topic honestly.

A Community Moderator responded with;

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
Please try and refrain from +1'ing threads guys.

If you can't post a full comment it may not be necessary to post.
Now, I don't mind, nor am I complaining about the response. What I am asking for then, is a mechanism for either showing support, or for showing disagreement with the OP.

Other forums have this sort of functionality allowing the users to do so (without adding an actual 10 character response), rather a little ticker in the header of the post.

I know Raptr(although don't know what they call the functionality) has it, as does Guildlaunch. Guildlaunch calls it an Up/Down Vote.

I really think this would be an overall useful tool (not only to the forum users), but Cryptic as a whole. Imagine at a glance seeing the popularity of a post (say Official Blah Blah feedback Thread)... or being able to look at user requests, with basic up/down feedback from the forum base? Without having to read 100+ Responses.

Seems to me it would be useful datamining tool.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 65
11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Generally here on the STO boards, one shows support by not posting anything at all, and disagreement by cross-posting in multiple threads and redoing that several months later.

I would like a +1/check/agreement button so that the silent majority could help highlight tidbits the developers could find helpful, as well as other forum explorers.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 66
11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
having read a particularly good idea a user posted here on the forum, I "+1'd" it. Adding my support to the OP's post, without having any addition comments on the topic honestly.

Now, I don't mind, nor am I complaining about the response. What I am asking for then, is a mechanism for either showing support, or for showing disagreement with the OP.

Other forums have this sort of functionality allowing the users to do so (without adding an actual 10 character response), rather a little ticker in the header of the post.

I know Raptr(although don't know what they call the functionality) has it, as does Guildlaunch. Guildlaunch calls it an Up/Down Vote.

I really think this would be an overall useful tool (not only to the forum users), but Cryptic as a whole. Imagine at a glance seeing the popularity of a post (say Official Blah Blah feedback Thread)... or being able to look at user requests, with basic up/down feedback from the forum base? Without having to read 100+ Responses.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've moved it into the thread about the future forum upgrade so it can be considered along with the other great ideas in here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 67
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Wont happen. Makes too much sense.

That and there are still weird and lame forum restrictions on here that makes me think either the sever/software either can't or won't support suck an thing. I mean.. we can't even show pictures on this site without getting ported to an outside source. My Fleet Forum that I slapped together over a weekend has more functionality than this.
Community Moderator
# 68
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post

I actually concur. I don't think an up/down vote tool is appropriate, it'd get too 'snippy' too quickly on these forums. That said a simple +1 feature or upvote would be good. The forums over at MacRumors do this and it's nice.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 69
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Here is my request for the Fleet Recruitment forum upgrade that Brandon looked at, hopefully they'll use this to make it more appealing and comprehensive.
Because as it stands, the Recruitment section only allows one thread creation with no sub-sections, which means everything is jumbled up. This is not at all good for those fleets who role-play.

EDIT: Also this is what a forum should be like. Yes I know Freelancer (in this, the most popular mod) only has a few hundred players, but it should be the standard for gaming forums. Things are organized with sub-sections, it allows for IMG image pasting for transmission bars in rp threads, and it allows signatures that are 700x250 (which gives enough enough room for you to also include links.

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 11-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Captain
# 70
11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
There's a tech forum post for the STO forums specifically that has some info, and is regularly checked by tech people if you want to post STO forum issues in it: http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/...ead.php?t=2261

Why is an STO forum issues thread not on the STO forums themselves? I don't know. But that was where we were directed to go for problems with the new forums (after the first changeover).
Closed Thread