Captain
First off I am glad, as a foundry author, that the clutter of exploit missions should decrease a bit. That said the proposed system, as it has been explained to me, sounds rather... How shall I say it? Crapy.

There is a much easier, less painful, and more effective way to deal with dilithium and the foundry. Remove the Investigate Officer Reports daily entirely and just give out dilithium for doing foundry missions. Base it on the number of steps so that an hour long mission gives out around 1,000 dilithium.

This will prevent exploits, encourage the playing of actual foundry missions, and give a reasonable amount of dil to people for playing content that should be encouraged. If someone really wants to spend 8 hours playing foundry missions over the course of a day I think it can be fairly said they have earned it.

The foundry is the great, untapped, saving grace of this content-poor game. We are adding the content you are unable or unwilling to spend time on; and we are doing it for free. Help us out a little.

Last edited by ajstoner; 11-13-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: OCD
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Problem with that solution is, as I noted in the thread that spawned this one, Cryptic doesn't want to increase the amount of dil people can earn in game right now, regardless of how they're earning it. The current strategy is to cap dil earning and reduce dil's buying power so people will be more motivated to buy dil with real money. They don't care how many hours it takes for you to earn a given amount of dil, they only care that you're choosing to earn it instead of buy it. Ideas likely to result in net increased player dil earnings are unlikely to be considered.

As a constructive alternative, I'd propose (to Cryptic) creating another class of data chip for playing foundry missions, or enabling the existing data chip types as drops/rewards for foundry missions. This will increase motivation to play foundry missions, especially among non-grind oriented players (the great untapped market of MMOs*), while at the same time actually increasing demand for dil due to players with data chips to spend.

*Seriously, every MMO is crap at this, because being otherwise requires exponentially more dev time than the game could ever pay for. Player created content systems are a fantastic potential key to breaking this, especially with a prexisting big world IP with a broad fan base like Star Trek. Their fanfic is your content. Think about that. Do you even know how much Star Trek fanfic there is? WOW doesn't have that, Neverwinter doesn't have that. Star Wars had it, but ignored it. You (Cryptic) have a golden goose here waiting to be exploited: a perfect way to break the WOW clone grinder trap and actually compete for MMO market share on your own terms. Exploit the crap out of that.

Last edited by connectamabob; 11-13-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
11-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I think tying Foundry rewards to time played is ideal. And in addition to that we shouldn't be limited to playing only 3 Foundry missions per day.

It's not just about dilithium, it's also about experience. I would like to be able to level an alt playing nothing but Foundry content. Right now, the limitation of only 3 missions per day really puts a crimp on that possibility.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 4
11-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I think tying Foundry rewards to time played is ideal. And in addition to that we shouldn't be limited to playing only 3 Foundry missions per day.

It's not just about dilithium, it's also about experience. I would like to be able to level an alt playing nothing but Foundry content. Right now, the limitation of only 3 missions per day really puts a crimp on that possibility.
There's no limit to the number of foundry missions you can play in a day- the limit it what you get paid to play. The foundry wasn't ever intended to be a source of dilithium, the reward was there to provide incentive to play those mission- nothing more.

Now that the incentive is gone people will only play those missions if they're enjoyable. This puts the burden back on the creators.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Career Officer
# 5
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
There's no limit to the number of foundry missions you can play in a day- the limit it what you get paid to play. The foundry wasn't ever intended to be a source of dilithium, the reward was there to provide incentive to play those mission- nothing more.

Now that the incentive is gone people will only play those missions if they're enjoyable. This puts the burden back on the creators.
It's not just how much dilithium you get, it's also how much experience you get. You don't get exp from completing a Foundry mission besides what you kill in the mission. That means the only actual exp comes from the daily wrapper. So, if you want to level an alt playing Foundry missions only, it's not really practical.

I don't have a problem with removing the console clickers, but there still is a lot of room for improvement for how the Foundry grants rewards. And, while the main reason to play the Foundry is for story, that shouldn't prevent you from being able to use it to level up.

Playing through Researcher Rescue and the other main storyline missions for the 3rd or 4th time isn't all that enjoyable.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 6
11-13-2012, 10:56 AM
<snicker>
It'll all be new to me.
18 levels for my Fed doing clickers, am thinking my Adm needs something more than his starter ship.

Naaa, he just became a dedicated backdoor into the fed side of the markets.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 11-13-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Captain
# 7
11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
The fact is that Cryptic half-implemented a good solution and that makes for a terrible one. Their "three 20-minute missions" for your 1440 dil will only create a new breed of slightly more obnoxious exploits: "The 20 console-clikie." It will have the right number of steps (which will be quickly figured out) that you can just hit "F" 20 times in the same spot and be done in 5 minutes.

This company's greed is wildly out of control and they are no longer thinking clearly. They have lost all interest in improving the game and getting business that way--they want to bleed us for whatever they can and walk-away when it falls apart.

It can still be saved, and I would (mostly) like it to be. I suspect it will take the community, as a whole, to stand up to them and start make real and organized demands regarding the direction things are going in.