Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,499
just something to think about:

Quote:
The Dilithium cost associated with Reassignments has been increased:

White to Green: Now 500 Dilithium
Green to Blue: Now 2500 Dilithium
Blue to Purple: Now 5000 Dilithium

The "General Recruitment" assignment available on both faction Academy zones has been altered:

Duration increased from 20 hours to 48 hours.
The cooldown is unchanged.
An input cost of 1000 Dilithium has been added.
lets assume we go that laid out "convenient" route all the way.

5 Blue to 1 Purple = 5000 Dilithium
25 Green to 5 Blue = 12500 Dilithium
125 White to 25 Green = 12500 Dilithium
125 White by General Recruitment Packs = 25000 Dilithium

= 55000 Dilithium
/ 160 (current Dilithium Exchange rate +1 or +2 points)
= 343 Zen



now we know what it would cost us,
but how long would it take?

The General Recruitment Pack had its duration changed from 20 to 48 hours
cooldown is unchanged,

nice of Cryptic not to tell us the Cooldown in the Patchnotes,
but i already got that one anyway, it is a 48 hour cooldown!

so

48hrs duration + 48hrs cooldown = 96hrs = 4 days of waiting until you can start the next pickup.

if you want 125 White DOffs for that one Purple DOff you need to wait a total of 2400 HOURS = 100 Days !!!

= 3 and a half Purple DOffs per YEAR if you take this Route.

oh and... don't forget, the upgrinder will probably give you another purple Bartender that you will just want to downgrade to 3 Blue again which throws the whole calculation off again.



Disclaimer: this ignores any free ways that are still available like the Cultural Exchange or Junior Officer Cadres to get white DOffs (it is probably more like 6 or 7 Purple DOffs per Year if you do those too).

The problem with those Assignments is that they eat up a lot of DOff Assignment Slots for a long time and effectively block you from playing efficiently.
The General Recruitment pack was nice because it had 5 white DOffs but only blocked ONE assignment Slot.



Final thoughts / my Conclusion:

If you want to pay you can use the C-Store for DOff Packs instead and get faster what you want to have with $, higher Chances at good DOffs included.
If you want free DOffs you need to actually play the DOff System like it was intended and you can go to the DOFFJOBS / DOFFCALLS chat channels to get help and infos, but anybody slightly interested already knows that anyway...

The real Reason why the General Recruitment Pack was introduced in the first place was to get Players started playing the DOff System, an easy convenient way to get some more low level DOffs and a secure way to upgrade them, without paying and without doing lots of research on this rather complicated System.

This Assignment was designed to get the CASUAL F2P Player hooked on it.
I do not believe that in its new form it can still fulfill that goal.


Not with a week long duration and not with the new Paygate.



And finally, we only need those crappy white DOffs for the Starbase UI grind anyway.
Since Season 6 DOffs no longer feel like they are my Ships CREW
they feel like a commodity that is required in high amounts.
This is not my Ships Crew, those People are just Passengers now.

I'm a Space Taxi Driver now!

Last edited by zerobang; 11-13-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 312
# 2
11-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
just something to think about:




I'm a Space Taxi Driver now!
Hey space taxy :-P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5ta...feature=fvwrel

At the moment it is efficient to do the colonial chains assignments where you get free doffs. With a critical you get a purple doff. This one you can grind down to blues. Sell them for a purple or try your luck with 5 blues to grind them up for 5000 dil.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,410
# 3
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
The real Reason why the General Recruitment Pack was introduced in the first place was to get Players started playing the DOff System, an easy convenient way to get some more low level DOffs and a secure way to upgrade them, without paying and without doing lots of research on this rather complicated System.

This Assignment was designed to get the CASUAL F2P Player hooked on it.
I do not believe that in its new form it can still fulfill that goal.
Imho it's still easier for new players to pick up doffs now, then when the system started, even with the 1.000 dilithium gate in place. You can pick up recruitment and cultural exchange missions right there at the academy when the cooldown expires, without having to search for them in space, and without having them not spawn at all.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
# 4
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
Imho it's still easier for new players to pick up doffs now, then when the system started, even with the 1.000 dilithium gate in place. You can pick up recruitment and cultural exchange missions right there at the academy when the cooldown expires, without having to search for them in space, and without having them not spawn at all.
That could be the reason for the change.

Easily farmed DOffs. Which you can then sell for EC, to buy Contraband with for conversion to dil, and then to Zen. And that's just one way. I don't have access to the same kind of data the devs must have, but I could tell or at least 'feel' that some sort of arbitrage was going on and frequently took advantage of it. Much of the in-game limits are surmountable with enough characters.

So perhaps really new players won't know about it, but in a game where there is nothing you can't do or buy* without using any RL money, if you are patient enough to grind it out... that could be a problem. There is little incentive to pay RL money for Zen if for a little investment in time, you can 'buy' the same amount of Zen.

In the meantime, it's a bit of an inconvenience but if you're playing for fun, it's hopefully not a big deal.

*Steamrunner ^-^. A portent of the future?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 5
11-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphe View Post
That could be the reason for the change

The reason for this has been stated.

PWE wants to make doffgrinding and recruitment hideously Dil-costly, so people spend real money on doffpacks.

It is a cash grab, plain and simple.

Last edited by aestu; 11-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 495
# 6
11-13-2012, 12:33 PM
There are plenty of other ways to get purples. I have nearly 200 and never used that doff grinder.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Join Date: Sep 2009 - I want my changeling lava lamp!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 7
11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
There are also plenty of other MMOs. Pointing out that there are alternatives to something that is not perfect is not constructive in efforts to fix it.

At best, it is apologism for the cause of the problem.

Reducing Dil supply + selling 1k vet rewards + massively increased dil costs = all signs point to cash grab
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,410
# 8
11-13-2012, 06:10 PM
You're even more of a troll than I remembered you from Doffjobs. Too bad the ignore doesn't extend to the forums.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,140
# 9
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphe View Post
That could be the reason for the change.

Easily farmed DOffs. Which you can then sell for EC, to buy Contraband with for conversion to dil, and then to Zen. And that's just one way. I don't have access to the same kind of data the devs must have, but I could tell or at least 'feel' that some sort of arbitrage was going on and frequently took advantage of it. Much of the in-game limits are surmountable with enough characters.

So perhaps really new players won't know about it, but in a game where there is nothing you can't do or buy* without using any RL money, if you are patient enough to grind it out... that could be a problem. There is little incentive to pay RL money for Zen if for a little investment in time, you can 'buy' the same amount of Zen.

In the meantime, it's a bit of an inconvenience but if you're playing for fun, it's hopefully not a big deal.

*Steamrunner ^-^. A portent of the future?
I was thinking about the change recently and realized something I hadn't noticed before.

General recruitment is faster than branch recruitment, gives you more doffs, and is guaranteed to give at least one green. ALSO it give you a doff pack which you can simply save for later.

That's FOUR ways in which General Recruitment is better than branch recruitment! With that in mind the price change makes sense.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 10
11-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
That's FOUR ways in which General Recruitment is better than branch recruitment! With that in mind the price change makes sense.
You are factually incorrect. The Dil price change is intended to remove Dil from players and drive Zen sales.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM.