Lt. Commander
# 11
11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectamabob View Post
Ooh, I just had an idea!

Seeing people complain about the B'tran cluster being stripped of its dil rewards got me thinking: why does nobody like exploration missions?

1) No real rewards. Duh, that's what the B'Tran kerfuffle is about so obvious answer is obvious.

But, more that just that:

2) The missions themselves just really suck. They're all unengaging cookie cutter one click missions. The reason for this is obvious: there's way too many of them. The devs can't afford to spend the time making them interesting or unique, and are pretty much forced to just stamp them out en mass as short, cheap, cookie cutter missions.

Proposed idea: Create an "exploration mission" option for foundry mission publishing, and let Foundry authors do the heavy lifting. Foundry authors can create and submit missions specifically to become official exploration missions, via process similar to that used for spotlight or officer daily submission/approval. An approved mission gets assigned a door in one of the exploration sector anomalies.
THIS. This right here is an excellent use of the foundry authors. Only hiccup I see is getting stuff approved by CBS (I'm assuming they have final say in anything that could be considerd canon in game) but with some ground rules this could be workable. Now I don't think there are actual doors in the clusters, it seems the anomalies are at random locations. What could be done is to put the missions in specific pools for each cluster so that they're picked at random.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Commander
# 12
11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
what i dont like about the foundry is the fact, that i do not understand it. a walk through in the forum would be very good (with a demo mission that you can create just to test how things work).
What ? Calaway.
Lieutenant
# 13
11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Trust

The player does not Trust the foundry mission to be something that they will enjoy.
*BUZZ* Wrong!

And since your wrong, no need to read any further. If the foundry had really good rewards, people would play it regardless of any "hesitation" regarding quality. Star clusters arent quality missions(Borg searching for relics from their 3rd dynasty) but people play them for the daily. Nuff said.
Career Officer
# 14
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't think the Op is wrong though. Occasionally I regain hope and go off searching for foundry missions to play, something interesting, intelligent, well written... I find none of those in most missions, even highly rated missions. So no, I don't trust the foundry, because know whats worse than playing missions with no rewards? Getting 30 minutes into a mission with no reward and then being stuck by a bug or just fed up with bland and thoughtless design.

That said, I have ridiculously high standards.
Captain
# 15
11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
I don't think the Op is wrong though. Occasionally I regain hope and go off searching for foundry missions to play, something interesting, intelligent, well written... I find none of those in most missions, even highly rated missions. So no, I don't trust the foundry, because know whats worse than playing missions with no rewards? Getting 30 minutes into a mission with no reward and then being stuck by a bug or just fed up with bland and thoughtless design.

That said, I have ridiculously high standards.
Actually, the best missions in the game are foundry missions and there are dozens better than anything Cryptic has put out. Of course I'm sure YOURS put everyone's to shame, what with your "ridiculously high standards" and all. I'll look for them...

Last edited by ajstoner; 11-13-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: De-snarked a tad
Rihannsu
# 16
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, Nicha, play "Flight of the Kitty Hawk" and then tell me that you think all foundry missions suck....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 17
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Its not all, just the vast majority that stink.
With a hit to miss ratio so low nobody wants to waste their time with it.

Its ok though, now that nobody is going to be clicking the Foundry will be forgot about by a huge number of players.
Captain
# 18
11-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:

Its ok though, now that nobody is going to be clicking the Foundry will be forgot about by a huge number of players.
What a WONDERFUL attitude! More or less what I expected your response to be from reading your earlier post though. The uncreative always resent those who are and wish them ill--it has been sadly ingrained into the culture.
Career Officer
# 19
11-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:

See ya! /chars

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
11-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Hidden benefit to all this: getting rid of the type of Foundry players we never wanted in the first place!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.