Career Officer
# 151
11-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenzedd View Post
Oh I/we know, but to do the Omega system you need the damn bnp's eventually and elite stf's are the only place to get them. No dilithium in stf's = not doing stf's

Just did SB24 against my better judgement with a few of my fleetmates, took literally 5 minutes for 1440 Dilithium!
Even more reason to stop doing stf's altogether....

Edit: Another thing that now strengthens my resolve against doing stf's anymore. If you stop doing stf's, you wont need the Omega rep anyways as it only applies to the borg. I am sure I wont miss the buffs that you get while levelling.
I'll stick to Romulan Rep me thinks
You only need the BNPs for Mk XII gear. You could still do Omega rep for the powers.
Survivor of Romulus
# 152
11-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekeeperhu View Post
in my point of view, to be honest and straight forward about been greedy is still better than to be liar about it.
But dude, seriously. If you buy Dilithium with Zen, Cryptic does not earn a single cent from that transaction. You just trade Zen vs Dilithium with other players. No way for Cryptic to be "greedy" in that. None at all.
Empire Veteran
# 153
11-14-2012, 02:32 AM
I don't want to play stupid and boring content for 4h a day to get my endgame rewards I deserve because I'm good at games. I don't want any equal footing either, there's no reward for being a skilled player keeping your game and instances alive and help others to get better at it.

You made us a promise - 980 dil for elite gameplay, now, keep it.
Career Officer
# 154
11-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
But dude, seriously. If you buy Dilithium with Zen, Cryptic does not earn a single cent from that transaction. You just trade Zen vs Dilithium with other players. No way for Cryptic to be "greedy" in that. None at all.
In THEORY, if Cryptic could create enough demand for dilithium which is quickly spent, the price of dilithium would go up without increasing the amount of dilithium in the economy, prompting people to pay more money for it.

In theory. They say it's a trivial revenue source for them and I want to believe them.

I think this isn't about that.

This is more about eliminating the value of maintaining alts (a fairness concern -- in fact, fairness OVER monetization), propping up FAs, and disintecntivizing un-social play, AND STFs.
Survivor of Romulus
# 155
11-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
The rewards are the compensation for the parts of something I don't find entertaining.

Remove them and I'll do what I do find entertaining.

For some people, that's play another game. For me, it's doing other things in this game... for now... as long as I can find things I do get entertainment from.
If one doesn't find parts of the game entertaining, one shouldn't play them, regardless of if they give one Dilithium or not.

I, for example, hate ground combat on many levels. So I don't do it. I do what I enjoy, and some of those activities I do enjoy give me Dilithium on top of that.

For rewards alone, I would only do a little console clicking like doff missions or the like, but certainly not something that takes significant time investment. This is a game, me playing it happens solely for the purpose of me having a good time. At current exchange rates, 1600 Dilithium are about 10 Cents. I don't know about you, but if I want to earn money, I have far more profitable things to do than play STO. STO I do for fun and fun alone.

So have a good time, everybody, and don't look out too much for the "rewards".
Empire Veteran
# 156
11-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
disintecntivizing un-social play, AND STFs.
Fleet actions are un-social play. Go check it. It's a blatant selfish race.

And I'm sorry I don't play a Star Trek game for such a crap.
Lt. Commander
# 157
11-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
wise words from a wise man...
Commander
# 158
11-14-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:

Could everyone just lean back and think for a moment... do you play the game for the Dilithium? No, you play it for entertainment. Dilithium is just a tiny part of the game.

Besides, to me it looks as if it will actually be easier to get Dilithium by doing the standard fleet actions.
But standart fleet actions are boring :-P

But I really don't understand why people want to grind dilithium so hard. No ones need the ubergear. Except perhaps the few pvp'lers we have -.-
Career Officer
# 159
11-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
If one doesn't find parts of the game entertaining, one shouldn't play them, regardless of if they give one Dilithium or not.

I, for example, hate ground combat on many levels. So I don't do it. I do what I enjoy, and some of those activities I do enjoy give me Dilithium on top of that.

For rewards alone, I would only do a little console clicking like doff missions or the like, but certainly not something that takes significant time investment. This is a game, me playing it happens solely for the purpose of me having a good time. At current exchange rates, 1600 Dilithium are about 10 Cents. I don't know about you, but if I want to earn money, I have far more profitable things to do than play STO. STO I do for fun and fun alone.

So have a good time, everybody, and don't look out too much for the "rewards".
No. They should. That's what rewards are for. If gameplay was perfectly rewarding, rewards would be irrelevant. Rewards exist to tip the scales and create investment.

I'd rather do something I only 50% enjoy with rewards that persist than something I 100% enjoy, personally.
Career Officer
# 160
11-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post

And I'm sorry I don't play a Star Trek game for such a crap.
Anti-social is still social. Anti-social and un-social are opposites, as much as social and un-social are. Social doesn't need to be friendly is ultimately what I'm getting at.

What academic work I've read on MMOs suggests that the typical player wants other players around them but doesn't really want to coordinate or engage in combat with those other players. They want them around and they want the interaction to be indirect but pervasive.