Career Officer
Does "Star Trek" still fit this game in what it has become?

Someone (and forgive me I can't remember who on the forum) said that this game is quote: "A SCIFI game, loosely based on Star Trek."

I think that definition fits now perfectly more than ever. In that vein, should the game be renamed? Perhaps name it something else, close to SCIFI, but say "Imagined from the Star Trek Universe" or "Inspired by Star Trek" instead of outright calling it a Star Trek game now. I never use to feel like this when the game was launched, year 1 and 2, I felt it was a Star Trek game, now though? I think the above description is apt, it is a SCIFI game, loosely based or inspired by Star Trek.

Thoughts?
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Lieutenant
# 2
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Thoughts?
Since you asked, sure. Regardless of what you think the game "feels" like, most people play it because of the IP association. And because of that, PW would not give up that IP association. You know this as well as I do. So the real question is why are you posting a thread to ask about something we both know will never happen? Is it out of boredom or are you trying to stir people up?
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Does "Star Trek" still fit this game in what it has become?

Someone (and forgive me I can't remember who on the forum) said that this game is quote: "A SCIFI game, loosely based on Star Trek."

I think that definition fits now perfectly more than ever. In that vein, should the game be renamed? Perhaps name it something else, close to SCIFI, but say "Imagined from the Star Trek Universe" or "Inspired by Star Trek" instead of outright calling it a Star Trek game now. I never use to feel like this when the game was launched, year 1 and 2, I felt it was a Star Trek game, now though? I think the above description is apt, it is a SCIFI game, loosely based or inspired by Star Trek.

Thoughts?
Ferengi Capitalists Online would be a more apt name for it since you have to know how to play the dilithium market to be very successful in STO.

However, I do agree with the point you're making about the "inspired by star trek" idea. This game seems to be less about exploration and diplomacy (Federation ideals) and more about trading, pew pewing everything to death, and massacring the enemy in PVP (the current pvp environment is dishonorable even by KDF standards).
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!

Last edited by knuhteb5; 11-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Uh if yet renamed it they would be sued so much their grandchildren would feel it