Captain
# 1 Help fund Star Trek: Renegades
11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Star Trek veteran actor/director Tim Russ and the team that brought us the independent Star Trek tribute production, "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men" are attempting to raise $200,000 to fund the production of Star Trek: Renegades, a feature which they hope to pitch to CBS as a possible online series.

Their kickstarter campaign ends on November 26, and as of this writing, they need $55,792.00 and only have eleven days left to raise it in.

Spread the word as widely as you can. Help Tim Russ and the team involved in this project make it a reality..

LLAP

EDIT:
I did not notice that someone had already posted about this today. Delete or merge as needed...

Last edited by sirsitsalot; 11-14-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Ensign
# 2
11-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Eh, doesn't really look that promising. Walter looks old as ****, but I suppose he's should as he is.

As much as I'd love a new Trek series, I think that day is a long way off. We'll probably get 2-3 further movies in the current series before the idea is even floated.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Based on the cringe worthy "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men', I will keep my money thanks.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Ensign
# 4
11-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Michael Dorn had been trying to raise money for some sort of project as well, but cut off his attempts.

I don't know, I see this fundstarter stuff for people who have no other options. Successful actors have other options, they don't need to be begging their fans for 10s of dollars.
Captain
# 5
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
Based on the cringe worthy "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men', I will keep my money thanks.
My only real problem with Of Gods and Men was that they tried to cram too many TOS tie-ins into one production, leading the plot to feel disjointed. However, what I found good about it was the fact that an independent production crew, allbeit one with limited resources to work with, were able to bring so many veteran Trek actors from three series to the table, some reprising familiar and loved roles. A fitting tribute to Star Trek if you ask me.

I do believe that Renegades is worth funding. Many have been asking for new official Star Trek programming post-voyager and in the prime universe. Tim Russ and the production crew are committed to producing that.

Their goal for this funding is to be able to do two things: To be able to produce the pilot of their planned web series while retaining full creative freedom, and to show that there is a strong enough interest in seeing it done that people will pledge real money for it. They can pitch a finished product to CBS, requiring no studio budgeting for an experiment. If CBS approves the production of a web series... or a possible TV series... then CBS will then allocate funds for production.

They stand a good chance at hitting the goal. In just 4 days since I posted this thread, an additional $19,763.00 has been pledged. They still need to raise $36,029.00 in the next 7 days. It is doable.

Web series or whatever, I personally want to see an official Star Trek production set in the prime universe that is not a prequel. And you know? I wouldn't even care if its visual effects were limited to TOS-quality effects. It would be Star Trek, and it would be something new.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Captain
# 6
11-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey5time View Post
actors have other options, they don't need to be begging their fans for 10s of dollars.
It depends. If they own their own studio and staff it with people who wouldn't mind working on a volunteer basis, yes.

Tim Russ is not just a Star Trek actor. He is also a Star Trek fan. As I understand it, he generally goes out of his way to make sure the fans are entertained when he does conventions. His dedication to Of Gods and Men, whether we like the result or not, demonstrates that he cares about his work, even if it is for an independent crew.

It is the fans who keep Trek alive. And a fan is at the helm of a project with its sights set on not just keeping Trek alive, but on advancing the mythos. And really. In terms of producing a pilot episode, $200,000.00 is not that much, considering that most regular episodes in a series generally cost a lot more than that.

All they need is a solid proof-of-concept in the form of this pilot, and CBS could grant them a production budget to go forward with the web series. The ensemble case of Veteran Trek actors that are already on board may sell the deal with the CBS execs. It's a gamble, no doubt about it.

Like I said above, I hope it happens because it would be official Star Trek and it would be something new.
Career Officer
# 7
11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
I'll definitely be supporting this, OGaM was leaps and bounds better than the latest trek movie.

Actually of late I've been enjoying similarly amateur productions a whole lot more than the stuff Hollywood has been producing with all it's billions. I'm eagerly awaiting the AVGN movie a lot more than anything that's coming to the cinema in the next few months.
Joined August 2008
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I'll consider throwing in some money to support this the closer it gets to the deadline. With a week to go they need to raise something like $36k. I guess it's doable, and I doubt there will be any stretch goals unfortunately. I haven't seen 'Of Gods and Men' so I might watch that to get a feel for the quality of the production talent and direction. If Tim Russ is behind it, that makes me more interested, and seeing the cast list makes me swoon a bit over some of the potential cast members.
Captain
# 9
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
J. G. Hertzler (General Martok from Deep Space Nine) has signed on as Borrada, the main antagonist of Star Trek: Renegades.

Another veteran actor from an official Star Trek production... It would seem that these veteran Trek actors really believe in the project.

If you really don't want to pledge anything, that's fine. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. Nevertheless, I would ask that you share the Kickstarter link with your friends. and encourage them to share it also, then perhaps this can happen.

Like I said, if they are successful, we would be getting new official Star Trek material set in the prime universe. Isn't that what we really want out of Star Trek going forward?
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
Like I said, if they are successful, we would be getting new official Star Trek material set in the prime universe. Isn't that what we really want out of Star Trek going forward?
Yes it is, at least for me, but I'd want it to be done really well.