Republic Veteran
# 11
11-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwholaughs View Post
*Sigh* Yup... just rubs it in even further!
Mods like that are made by people on their free time for their own reasons, but STO and the Dev's need to get paid and keep the servers going. which is why every game compnay most of the time sells Downloadable content.

No one needs the Vesta or any other ship....they just want it.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
11-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Quote:
I gave up trying to backup topics such as this because it seems the STO community is fine with the insanely priced virtual items for sale in the Z-Store.

I'll post the same example I posted back when the Odyssey bundle was released:
For three virtual items, it costs about the same price as a newly released game (unless it's an independent game, then you could perhaps get two or three games for that price). I don't care who you are, that is just loopy, especially after paying for gold or a lifetime subscription.

I mean you only have to think about it for a second to realise how deranged prices are for crumbs of additional content.

charging non subcribers for that content seems fair, that would actually make sense, but for people who are shelling out an already borderlining price to play the game is insulting.

Then there's lock boxes... Mhm I am not even going to waste my time explaining these because it's just that painfully insulting.

I guess the only reason I posted this today is because it just hurts to see such wasted potential get whored out.
These ships aren't made from thin air. Many man-hours are put into these three ships, man-hours that cost money.

Artists, programmers and of course CBS and Mr Rademaker all cost money.

I think the price is right considering its account wide, some other games its per character.
Lieutenant
# 13
11-15-2012, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
And here is another perspective

All games older than about a year or two costs 50 $ or less ! STO is from 2010...

If each ship is worth 25 $ how much should the game cost if we say 3 ships x 4 tiers x 2 factions ?

24 x 25 dollars ?

Hats off to you if you feel paying the price of a full game for one pity little item is you making a bargin
Tell me about it, I mean it just hurts when I see people defend these prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Mods like that are made by people on their free time for their own reasons, but STO and the Dev's need to get paid and keep the servers going. which is why every game compnay most of the time sells Downloadable content.

No one needs the Vesta or any other ship....they just want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp3rus View Post
These ships aren't made from thin air. Many man-hours are put into these three ships, man-hours that cost money.

I think the price is right considering its account wide, some other games its per character.
Money which they are making from subscribers... It doesn't cost the price of a new game to make three virtual items in an already released game.

Whatever, if you don't get it then you don't get it.

Last edited by manwholaughs; 11-15-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Career Officer
# 14
11-15-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberteksyfir View Post
Not defending either side of this thread, just read it and like to supply my 2 cents of stating it costs $0 to mod ships into a game, case and point: http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/

And there's umpteen other sites for SFC, Armada, BC, etc etc etc.
A third-party site created by third-party users (namely fans of the game), for a game that ceased production a LONG time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Republic Veteran
# 15
11-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Tell me about it, I mean it just hurts when I see people defend these prices.

Money which they are making from subscribers... It doesn't cost the price of a new game to make three virtual items in an already released game.

Whatever, if you don't get it then you don't get it.
Welcome to the Digital age man...its how things are now...especially the game industry

A console game costs $59 bucks....now years ago that game came with books pictures and lots of stuff inside....now a days that game just comes with the disc, hell they even print the warning labels behind the artwork now, yet the games still cost the same regardless of the costs they managed to cut. Digital games they still sell them at the same price as a psychical copy at release.

If you're going to fight it then you have to fight the WHOLE gaming system the whole industry, you're going to need to go after the big fish if you want change.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
11-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Subscribers? Heh, that's a funny one.

I don't personally play to collect every ship that's in the game, one character = one ship. That 2,500 Zen will be used to buy a ship and kept on one character for the next few years.

We all play differently, that's what's makes us unique

Edit; I would love to know how long it took these very talented ships artists to create all 3 versions of the Vesta (and how long it took Mark Radermaker to design the original

Last edited by temp3rus; 11-15-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Commander
# 17
11-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp3rus View Post

F2P games need to get money too. I can live the store and crunch out every month 10$ for zen. But I still think that the Store ships costs to much. 10$ for a ship would be more reasonable.

At least I would buy every month a new ship xD But with these prices I have over 2500Zen since early october and still didn't got a new one because I can't decide myself :-P I have 3 toons, I don't want to fly with everyone the same ship and 2500Zen are to much money just to blow them for fun xD
Republic Veteran
# 18
11-15-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Not defending either side of this thread, just read it and like to supply my 2 cents of stating it costs $0 to mod ships into a game, case and point: http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/

In your mind... you compare hacking a long dead game to content development for a live MMORPG?

What is this I don't even --

IT COSTS MONEY to pay people to develop a game. Are you willing to sit there and work FOR FREE for 8-10 hours a day on meshes and skins? Of course you are. After all you don't have bills to pay or food to by. How silly of me to even THINK that people need to be paid for their work.

Volunteer effort to mod dead games is totally different than live MMORP development. Totally different.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Republic Veteran
# 19
11-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Quote:

I have personally done my share of moding on those games. Particularly Armada 2. The thing is, the mod is useless in online play unless every player on line has the same assets. When you download and install them into your game, it affects ONLY your game. Just like in those games, all of the ships are stored locally on your computer. If you have the ship and another player does not, what is the point? Their computer will still need the asset localized to be able to render your ship onto their computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
In your mind... you compare hacking a long dead game to content development for a live MMORPG?

What is this I don't even --

IT COSTS MONEY to pay people to develop a game. Are you willing to sit there and work FOR FREE for 8-10 hours a day on meshes and skins? Of course you are. After all you don't have bills to pay or food to by. How silly of me to even THINK that people need to be paid for their work.

Volunteer effort to mod dead games is totally different than live MMORP development. Totally different.
To take this even further. It is not just the ship model and skin.

In terms on Armada 2 for example, it is also the odf file (tells the game engine how the ship behaves), the hardpoints (where the weapons and abilities originate), The build buttons, the wireframe, adjusting the odf files for any parent model (shipyard that builds said ship). There is a lot of work that goes into a simple game like this.

In terms of STO, you would have the Boff layout to program, the weapons slots, the equipment slots, and any other things that are needed to be able to use the ship in game. I hate to think of everything that would need adjusted to mod STO.

Last edited by scififan78; 11-15-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Captain
# 20
11-15-2012, 05:49 AM
It all depends on how bad you want this new ship. I for one do not want every new ship that is released. But you don't have to buy zen, Grind Dil (Which means you don't have to have money) also if they ever do a Cstore sale again the ship may come down in price eventually