Career Officer
# 21
11-15-2012, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom View Post
It all depends on how bad you want this new ship. I for one do not want every new ship that is released. But you don't have to buy zen, Grind Dil (Which means you don't have to have money) also if they ever do a Cstore sale again the ship may come down in price eventually
Or a bonus Zen offer - I purchased the Zen required to buy the Vesta pack when the bonus offer was on a few weeks ago, so did pretty well out of it all-in-all.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Republic Veteran
# 22
11-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Or a bonus Zen offer - I purchased the Zen required to buy the Vesta pack when the bonus offer was on a few weeks ago, so did pretty well out of it all-in-all.
This is what I did.
Honestly, it was a good purchase.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.
Captain
# 23
11-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
And here is another perspective

All games older than about a year or two costs 50 $ or less ! STO is from 2010...

If each ship is worth 25 $ how much should the game cost if we say 3 ships x 4 tiers x 2 factions ?

24 x 25 dollars ?

Hats off to you if you feel paying the price of a full game for one pity little item is you making a bargin
This.

New game, 50 euro's, older game 15-25. Paid both, no problem if it's a good game.

I've paid for dlc, fine with that.
Small stuff, like a gun, or a car, couple of euro.
Large stuff, like quest lines, more, up to 20 euros.

One ship, 25, or pack of 3 times the same ship with different consoles 50, that's pushing it. Sure, it's got the flexible boff layout, and console, and can mount cannons. But does it offer quite the same content as a mission pack (often coming with gear and rewards)?

Or, if buying the pack, will it give a similar amount of content to buying an entire game?

For me, easy call. Buying new Hitman/AC3/CoD-BO2/[fill in other title] will give me way more value for money, in terms of enjoyment per euro spent.

Edit: mind you, it's not that I'm cheap, per se; I'd be buying ships on a regular basis if they were like 5-10 euro's. It's just a cost/benefit analysis, for me.

Last edited by twam; 11-15-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
11-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Ships as content... I suppose so

Most missions I've played only a couple of times, the ships I've paid for I've used every week for the past 2-3 years. So definitely worth it in my gaming
Career Officer
# 25
11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
If YOU owned your own MMO or Star Trek singleplayer game (which would make your cost-to-play $0), one that had as much content as STO does now, ask yourself how much it would cost YOU to hire a programmers, artists, and other developers to design, model, program, and implement a 3 versions of the Vesta in your game.

Sure as hell it would cost MORE than fifty dollars (or 25 dollars).

Long story short: YES, it's expensive but NO, it's not "overpriced".
You leave out some important data, such as?
Record number of sales when the game launched.

Record number of conversions into LTS within 30 days/

And the simple fact, this game was a sub based model for almost 2 years.

Bottom line is the IP has been handled poorly, and would be thriving if Cryptic actually did what they claim in every interview, "Listen to the Playerbase", not reacting to uproars after they ignore the playerbase.

Just my 2cents
Career Officer
# 26
11-15-2012, 06:49 AM
I can see the DEV blogs going like this:

DEV Blog #1 D Stahl, date NOW

Hi captains

As a show of goodwill and a thank you to all our loyal fans, all new C Store Ships are now priced at 500 Zen across the board. In addition all missions are giving 1440 Dilithium and the cap has been raised to 20,000 a day. I'm sure you'll agree that these changes will make Star Trek Online THE MMO to play and will attract a great many new players.....

DEV Blog #2 D Stahl, date 3 months from now

Hi Captains

Unfortunately due to a lack of funds Season 8 has been put on hold for at least another 3 months. The featured episodes take a lot of resources and since we lowered our pices those funds take longer to accumulate, we are sure you understand....etc etc

DEV Blog #3 D Stahl, date 6 months from now

Hi Captains

We acknowledge that there has been no new seasons since season 7 and indeed no new ships or even lockboxes. We are truly sorry for this but it is due to the economic climate we find ourselves in. The funding has dropped so far since we lowered our prices that we simply cannot continue in this method. Unfortunately we have lost three of our DEV team this week as they seek more lucrative opportunities elsewhere.

In a bid to address this all our prices are going back up to Pre-Season 7 prices and the dilithium removed from all but the missions it was previously available on pre- Season 7. We realise how unpopular this move will be but to ensure survival of STO we must take these steps and we hope we can count on your support.

PCGAMER September Edition 2013

Star Trek Online Warps Our Of Business

It's true captains, but you will have to take a holiday on Risa for a few years until another company can beam you back up into Sol. Cryptic Studios has filed for bancrupcy under chapter 11. The parent company PWI is currently looking for a buyer to develop it's Neverwinter title but we have it confirmed that STO as it is known will not be continued.

Still want your cheaper ships?

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 27
11-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
And here is another perspective

All games older than about a year or two costs 50 $ or less ! STO is from 2010...

If each ship is worth 25 $ how much should the game cost if we say 3 ships x 4 tiers x 2 factions ?

24 x 25 dollars ?

Hats off to you if you feel paying the price of a full game for one pity little item is you making a bargin
Well, when buying a new game (that I'll likely play for all of a week or so) I don't get to bring any of it into this game, I don't get to support the development for this game, and I don't get to fund the non-paying F2P crowd, either.

A $50 ship that I'm still flying months later is an infinitely better deal then $50 for some game that I've already forgotten I purchased. Maybe your playing all your other games for months on end. I'm not.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
Commander
# 28
11-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post

Still want your cheaper ships?
Yep. But keep the 8000 dill cap xD
Captain
# 29
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Yeah they are expensive considering the price of one whole game. But I also havnt paid a sub or put any money into the game the last three to four months, so shelling out for the 3 pack $50 Vesta line Im still coming out ahead as opposed to blindly paying a sub for zero story content like I use to. I still wish theyd increase their Z store inventory on vanity stuff that would consistently sell and drop ship prices to $15, and $35 for a 3 pack. Not being a silly ship collector, ship price doesnt hurt me as much. Counting all 3 Vestas, these last 3 are only 3 of 7 ships Ive paid for since playing STO.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Republic Veteran
# 30
11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
Yeah they are expensive considering the price of one whole game. But I also havnt paid a sub or put any money into the game the last three to four months, so shelling out for the 3 pack $50 Vesta line Im still coming out ahead as opposed to blindly paying a sub for zero story content like I use to. I still wish theyd increase their Z store inventory on vanity stuff that would consistently sell and drop ship prices to $15, and $35 for a 3 pack. Not being a silly ship collector, ship price doesnt hurt me as much. Counting all 3 Vestas, these last 3 are only 3 of 7 ships Ive paid for since playing STO.
I imagine it's hard to concoct good vanity items for this game, because of the IP itself.

Think about it. There's very little in the way of gear that doesn't fall into the category of weapon, armor, powers kit, starship, or consumable. Gear itself is very rarely responsible for altering your physical appearance, weapons are a dime a dozen, and no one pays too much attention to consumables because of their somewhat ephemeral nature.

However, there's a huge demand for starships. Like, the biggest, I think at least. And, while the starships in the store aren't necessarily vanity items, they aren't necessary for gameplay as a player has access to a good spread of ships for free while they progress through the game.

Look at the few vanity items we do have:

Off Duty outfits
Variant uniforms
Non-combat pets
Starship bridges

And that's it.

I mean, we still get a somewhat regular infusion of these items every now and then (though new bridges has somewhat stalled recently). But the demand for these items so far has not exceeded the demand for new starships. It probably never will. When people think of Star Trek, one of the first things they think of is the ships.

I do have thoughts, though. New trophies for a captain's ready room would be very popular, I think. In fact, any decorations for the ready room would be appreciated. Maybe even alternate furniture arrangements.
Maybe alternate captain's quarters, too. And set up a series or display areas in there to add in nick-knacks and such.
Another emote pack would be nice.
Could also sell different starship interiors, a nice alternative to the basic drab "Small, Medium, Large" we have now.
Maybe species-specific civilian outfits? Just a thought.
More bridge packs. I'm kinda disappointed the Vesta didn't come with a unique bridge series (though in that regard, I looked around online and there doesn't seem to be an agreed-upon description of the Vesta's bridge, sooo...).
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.