Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 51
11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
See, when you say things like that, you start to lose credibility for your argument.
Ships are never going to be that expensive. Honestly, I do believe the prices the ships are at now will be what they stay at, relative to their tier. Same goes with the 3-packs, if those continue to be A Thing.
Also, this game is probably not going to close its doors any time soon. Right now, it's making good money. Plus, it has the attentions of a very interested party: CBS. I'm sure between them and PWE, and Cryptic working diligently on improving the game, STO will be around for quite some time. Prophesying doom for the game, when all evidence indicates otherwise is not the way to add gravity to your opinions.
If you'd been here at the beginning then I suspect that you'd have made similar claims that Cryptic would never charge $50 for a C-Store purchase. Prices already grossly inflated with the transition to Zen. $25 wasn't enough for Cryptic for ships so they started producing these 3-packs for $50 (which is completely unnecessary - did we need a Sci Odyssey? No. No more than we need an Engineering Vesta).

These guys will charge whatever they think they can get away with - even the 'good' guys in the industry get greedy (the whole EVE $40 monocle thing) - Cryptic with PWE at the helm are quite possibly the greediest operation I've encountered in gaming (aside from maybe Zynga).

Anyway - I stand by my statement - $99 ships (or bundles) before this game close its doors and on the day they announce it, you owe me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
So this is you completely ignoring the fact that they did in fact do that, because they have each variant of the ship available for separate purchase, in addition to the 3-pack (which is actually kind of a deal comparatively).
Each version of the Vesta is about $25, which is the norm for a ship of that tier. The 3-pack is $50, worth two of them. But you get three. It's essentially a "Buy Two Get One Free" deal.
Not in my C-Store - all I have available is the 3-pack. I'll check again though once the server comes back up.

*Edit* just checked and I stand corrected - the Vesta does indeed show up as separate purchases - not sure why I wasn't seeing that before (mostly been playing KDF so that might have had something to do with it) but irrespective I'm glad to see they haven't taken a 'bundle-only' approach - it says something of my apathy to their pricing/business tactics that it didn't surprise me in the least when I thought they had though...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 11-15-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 52
11-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwessels View Post
I think the ships are overpriced . Let's see : for $50 you buy 3 ships - but no slots - while the same amount of cash buys you a fully priced retail game ( with no worries if and when servers will go offline ) .The very least they could do is add the ship slots to the bundle ( and throw in a uniform for good measure ) .Then I'd find it far more reasonable .

It's about value for money and $25/ship - and extra if you want the slot - is steep considering this is an online game .
you sir must not have read my post above or a page or to back the 50 dollar price tag is for those who must haz it now,while people like myself subsidize the cost with dil->zen cause i myself wasnt going to pay 50 dollars.so instead i payed 30 and converted the rest so in reality i got a great deal,buy one vesta get 2 free.but for those who are to lazy to save a bit of dilithum for zen conversion are the ones who will get hit hardest in their wallet.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 904
# 53
11-15-2012, 08:53 AM
If you think it's over-priced, don't buy it. Sell Dilithium for Zen instead.

I'm pretty sure most subscription MMO's have gear or items which you grind for months to get. Think of the Vesta in that same light - something you need to put time into acquiring without cash.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 35
# 54
11-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
Really? because I imagine alot more people would be buying cstore ships if they were just half their current price. 20 bucks is pretty steep for a virtual item. People are rolling in the money in other MMOs that charge far less because far more people bite at the cash grabs. 1 million sales at 5 dollars is a hell of alot more money than 100,000 sales at 20 dollars. There's a reason only 10% pay a dime on this game. They should look into why that is rather than complain about it.
You hit the nail right on the head there, cheaper items will sell a whole lot more, hence drawing in more revenue in the long term, but it seems most people here are too stupid to figure that out.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,280
# 55
11-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
Really? because I imagine alot more people would be buying cstore ships if they were just half their current price. 20 bucks is pretty steep for a virtual item. People are rolling in the money in other MMOs that charge far less because far more people bite at the cash grabs. 1 million sales at 5 dollars is a hell of alot more money than 100,000 sales at 20 dollars. There's a reason only 10% pay a dime on this game. They should look into why that is rather than complain about it.
People are spending 30+ bucks to see a stupid 3d movie once. $20 bucks for a ship you'll get to use every day as often as you like for however long STO remains a live game is a bargain.

And when you add in that Lifers and Subbers can reduce the price using their monthly stipends and other methods to get zen, the price is even lower.

Last edited by sopwithsnipe; 11-15-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 129
# 56
11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
you sir must not have read my post above or a page or to back the 50 dollar price tag is for those who must haz it now,while people like myself subsidize the cost with dil->zen cause i myself wasnt going to pay 50 dollars.so instead i payed 30 and converted the rest so in reality i got a great deal,buy one vesta get 2 free.but for those who are to lazy to save a bit of dilithum for zen conversion are the ones who will get hit hardest in their wallet.
There are folks who either don't have the time ( you know: other stuff in life ) or the inclination to do the entire dilithium>zen thing . Saying you don't have to buy them is a lame excuse for pricing policy . You also don't have to buy a CD with music ( after all: there's radio )
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 57
11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwessels View Post
There are folks who either don't have the time ( you know: other stuff in life ) or the inclination to do the entire dilithium>zen thing . Saying you don't have to buy them is a lame excuse for pricing policy . You also don't have to buy a CD with music ( after all: there's radio )
well speaking about people who dont have time to do it sir i go to tech school and have a job its just called time management skills.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,280
# 58
11-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwessels View Post
There are folks who either don't have the time ( you know: other stuff in life ) or the inclination to do the entire dilithium>zen thing . Saying you don't have to buy them is a lame excuse for pricing policy . You also don't have to buy a CD with music ( after all: there's radio )
And people that choose to ignore other methods that will reduce their out of pocket expenses and then complain about things being too expensive get ignored for being whiners with entitlement issues.

Just sayin.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 368
# 59
11-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
If you'd been here at the beginning then I suspect that you'd have made similar claims that Cryptic would never charge $50 for a C-Store purchase. Prices already grossly inflated with the transition to Zen. $25 wasn't enough for Cryptic for ships so they started producing these 3-packs for $50 (which is completely unnecessary - did we need a Sci Odyssey? No. No more than we need an Engineering Vesta).

These guys will charge whatever they think they can get away with - even the 'good' guys in the industry get greedy (the whole EVE $40 monocle thing) - Cryptic with PWE at the helm are quite possibly the greediest operation I've encountered in gaming (aside from maybe Zynga).

Anyway - I stand by my statement - $99 ships (or bundles) before this game close its doors and on the day they announce it, you owe me one.
I've been here since the second week of Beta.
Not Closed Beta. Beta Testing.
I remember when Klingon play had to be unlocked, and it was a PvP only faction and had to grind my way to Lt. General by beating everyone around me to a bloody pulp (it was a simpler time).
I remember when tricorders had a little glow light on them.
I remember the Borg before they could adapt.
I remember the first time a dev commented on a post of mine (it was about the Dyson sphere).
And I've never made any such claims because making such claims is foolish. Do I make reasonable assumptions or educated estimations? I like to think so, but I this does not preclude the fact that I can be proven wrong at any time because the STO devs have Captain's Prerogative: anything at any time can be subject to changes. They've said as much, and it says as much in the Terms of Service all players agreed to before playing the game.
And frankly, the prices of ships has only really significantly changed when the game fully converted to Zen. Rounded things out, but they've stayed at relatively similar prices.
And honestly, I'm not gonna "owe" you anything, because I am more confident in my ability to observe patterns and make reasonable predictions than I am of ill-informed, heat of the moment doom calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
If you think it's over-priced, don't buy it. Sell Dilithium for Zen instead.

I'm pretty sure most subscription MMO's have gear or items which you grind for months to get. Think of the Vesta in that same light - something you need to put time into acquiring without cash.
Oh gosh, is that a reasonable post with an enlightened point of view? Great Roddenberry's ghost, I do believe it is.
It would behoove many of you to take such words to heart.
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.

Last edited by sorceror01; 11-15-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 60
11-15-2012, 09:05 AM
The company will set the price based on the best return.

There will be a minimum price which will cover the costs.

There will be a maximum price that would not sell well.

In between these two is a sweet spot, the best price the market can stand with the best return based on the metrics of previous purchases.

They may indeed sell more ships at a lower price but there will be a price point whereby they sell the maximum number of ships to the maximum number of people. This is the price they currently use.

Therefore the price is unlikely to change unless market forces dictate a change. There will always be those that can't afford something and state if you lower the price I would buy it, but if they did that they would lose money because they are already selling the maximum number they can and the few extra purchases at a lower price would not make up for the less purchases at a higher price.

Sales 101
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 AM.