Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
# 11
11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoxy View Post
So que the angry folks who paid for this and don't like others getting free stuff.
That would never happen on this totally rational forum.... Oh, wait....
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 612
# 12
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralkristov View Post
That would never happen on this totally rational forum.... Oh, wait....
Hate to break it to you, being unhappy people are getting free what you paid for is not irrational.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
# 13
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
What everyone in this threads always seems to miss is that they got to play with [thing] between then (however long ago "then" was) and now. That's what you paid for - the ability to play with that thing then, and not have to wait for a "now" that be months later, years, or never.

If I wait for a new game to go on sale on Steam, I can eventually get it much cheaper, but I lose out on getting to play it now/for however long until it goes on sale.
Join Date: January 2011
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 35
# 14
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Score this WEEK:

Feds- 4 uniforms, 2 escort ships (1 @ 60% discount)

Klingons- ZILCH, NADA, NUTHIN.
KDF got to keep their best methods of Dilithium farming, Empire Defense + Path, while the Feds had almost all of them taken away or nerfed. There's the tradeoff.
__________________________________________________ ___
Original Username - njdss4 - Original Join Date - July 28, 2008 (Official Forum Launch Date)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 986
# 15
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
The value of a thing, ESPECIALLY a cosmetic thing, is always dependent on how many of that thing they are. By flooding the market with free goodies, it devalues the ones that have been paid for.

It's the same with cash. You can turn on the printing press and make more 'money', but you've added no value. You've just made everyone else's cash worth a little bit less.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11
# 16
11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
cool stuff. picked one up the other day.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
# 17
11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I was hoping for the medical set. Sadly, I only got the Tunic. If anyone has a code for the Medical set, I'd love a key.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
# 18
11-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
The value of a thing, ESPECIALLY a cosmetic thing, is always dependent on how many of that thing they are. By flooding the market with free goodies, it devalues the ones that have been paid for.

It's the same with cash. You can turn on the printing press and make more 'money', but you've added no value. You've just made everyone else's cash worth a little bit less.
With all due respect, your argument is based on two assuming things:
a.) It fails to establish any arguable market value to the items in question, but presumes there is one
b.) You're placing a physical connection to a digital marketplace. Everything started for nothing. You're paying for nothing. Cash (supposedly) has an actual gold value to back it up. Arguably, but still an established basic concept we have been using for hundreds of years at least. This new digital currency system for intangible, digital goods has many similarities to a cash-based physical currency, but still very different in known arguable ways.

Based on my (limited) time spent in game, I don't see these as being valuable, as no one is trying to get them, or "hustle" them. They don't sell "fast" in the cstore, if they're available, because no one is rushing out to outfit with TOS uniforms. I'm not knocking them, I'm just saying. Trends are everything to this company now, and don't believe for a second they won't milk it where they think they can get away with it. If you do, then I quit right now. Not even worth the time wasted trying to argue the point, as it's a lost cause.
The argument for trending can be established with a apples-to-apples comparison:
If the item being given away for free were a Jem'Hadar Attack ship, there could be serious implications on the in-game "market" for a while. People would lose faith, quit playing for a while, stop playing out of protest, etc. They will never do that.

It's not a matter of pride when the argument is made, there is no offense intended by anyone when the argument is made:

They're giving it away for free because it was the random winner in a pool of lowest trending sales, to try and perk up cstore sales in general. If you go there to claim it, your mentality (possibly) is that you're getting something for free, therefor it justifies spending a little to get more.

No one is rushing out to buy the TOS uniforms, just a select group of the die hards (nothing wrong with that). But more people will go claim it "just because it's free" - which may get them to drop some cstore pts on another outfit since they are already changing it up.

You don't need a business major to see that.

Not trying to be a ****, just my POV for what it's worth.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 960
# 19
11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
For the "unhappy campers":

In that case you should've quit when STO went Free-to-Play. They devalued the $50 + Sub fee (or more if you paid lifetime) three years ago!

*Insert "DEAL WITH IT" meme picture here*
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,077
# 20
11-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Score this WEEK:

Feds- 4 uniforms, 2 escort ships (1 @ 60% discount)

Klingons- ZILCH, NADA, NUTHIN.
Klingons got to stay alive. Just wait, one of these Seasons, the KDF will just be another NPC we get to blow apart.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM.