Lieutenant
No, I'm not being sarcastic. All the hubbub about dilithium aside, exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game. I wish it had come sooner, but all I can say is "job well done" and please add more of this type of content!
Career Officer
# 2
11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Not to mention the whole helping others in need, putting your differences aside to reach a common goal thing. That's pretty Trek too and is the entire theme of the New Romulus zone.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-15-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't think we are there yet, but is is a good start. I would not go as far as calling it a true Star Trek game though. We are missing a bit of "Where no one has gone before". It still feels like an amusement park in a fish bowl.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Ensign
# 4
11-15-2012, 04:27 PM
can not agree not even close we had mission we go get this and this and that for who and who and who so no not even close
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddam01 View Post
can not agree not even close we had mission we go get this and this and that for who and who and who so no not even close
Yeah, well, that describes about 90% of the content of every MMO.

This is not Trek Sims. More trek-like is always nice, but is very vague and varies from person to person.

Is the game great? No. Do the devs make boneheaded decisions? Yep.

But its still an alright Trek game.
Rihannsu
# 6
11-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I don't think we are there yet, but is is a good start. I would not go as far as calling it a true Star Trek game though. We are missing a bit of "Where no one has gone before". It still feels like an amusement park in a fish bowl.
That was the point of exploration clusters. But... they're too repetitive. The randomizer algorithm isn't complex enough to make a decent variety of missions.

I have to applaud the devs for trying though. It takes a while for it to get monotonous.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 11-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
11-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillithiae View Post
No, I'm not being sarcastic. All the hubbub about dilithium aside, exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game. I wish it had come sooner, but all I can say is "job well done" and please add more of this type of content!
I have to say most of the Featured Episode series are also very Trek (Coliseum in the Cloaked Intentions series screams Trek), but that said, I totally agree with you here. We finally have a strange new world to really explore as opposed to running through to just to complete it. And as was said above, the spirit of cooperation as seen in (most) of the series is a huge plus.
Career Officer
# 8
11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
running around in circles pressing F all the time is Star Trek for you?

hmm.. *shrug* ok, good for you.

i'm not that impressed, i would like some actual gameplay, too bad STO's only gameplay mechanics are pew pew + hotkeys, + the universal F does everything button.

That does not leave much room for different experiences.

if for example i look at Battlefield 3, it amazes me with how few soldier classes and how few vehicle types every game you play can be a complete different experience, even on the same maps... 250 hrs into multiplayer and it still does not feel repetitive, even though it has roughly the same amount of maps as STO does by now.

In STO, no matter what class i play, no matter what art assets i shoot.... F F F Spacebar Spacebar Spacebar F Spacebar F Spacebar F F F...

the biggest gameplay challenge in STO seems to be to jump over the plasma in the Infected Ground Boss room...

sometimes i wonder if those players who keep falling in the plasma with a CAITIAN would ever be able to do stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zOerQ64Vc

aah good old Elite Force days...
Captain
# 9
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I remember the 5 month long TNG episode where Picard had to grind rep for some aliens and needed a metric tribbleton of dilithium, too. AND the aliens lived in a dilithium poor section of the galaxy! Awesome times.
Career Officer
# 10
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
running around in circles pressing F all the time is Star Trek for you?

hmm.. *shrug* ok, good for you.

i'm not that impressed, i would like some actual gameplay, too bad STO's only gameplay mechanics are pew pew + hotkeys, + the universal F does everything button.

That does not leave much room for different experiences.

if for example i look at Battlefield 3, it amazes me with how few soldier classes and how few vehicle types every game you play can be a complete different experience, even on the same maps... 250 hrs into multiplayer and it still does not feel repetitive, even though it has roughly the same amount of maps as STO does by now.

In STO, no matter what class i play, no matter what art assets i shoot.... F F F Spacebar Spacebar Spacebar F Spacebar F Spacebar F F F...

the biggest gameplay challenge in STO seems to be to jump over the plasma in the Infected Ground Boss room...

sometimes i wonder if those players who keep falling in the plasma with a CAITIAN would ever be able to do stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zOerQ64Vc

aah good old Elite Force days...
soooooooooooooo this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.