Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
Just a random thought, but wouldn't Cryptic be better off if pretty much every player/alt in the game was hitting the 8,000 (or 9,000 depending on subscription) refinement limit on a daily basis, instead of the current "you have to fight for every purple crystal" mentality?

Two simple facts, and one assumption:
  • As it stands at the moment, Zen sellers will be getting in the region of 155-160 dil per Zen.
  • The only source of the Zen on the exchange is from other players selling it having bought it with real money.
  • More dilithium for everyone to use would most likely cause the Dil-Zen exchange prices to increase.

I can't help feeling a lot more people would be inclined to spend real money on Zen if they could get more dilithium in exchange.

If more people are buying Zen with real money, Cryptic are making more money for offering the same service, and if dilithium's easier to earn the player base is happier because there's less grind to get the starbase/reputation items.

Win-win scenario, surely?
Career Officer
# 2
11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
But on the flip side, if we were earning our 8,000 cap a day, we probably wouldn't need to spend money buying zen to exchange for dilithium, so the exchange rates would actually plummet.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
Problem with your power tray? Try this, it worked for several of my characters.
Click for Stats
Career Officer
# 3
11-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Oops. Forget everything I said.

Post removed.

Last edited by starfish1701; 11-17-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Captain
# 4
11-15-2012, 11:20 PM
NO, for look at the base requirements, you need ALOT of Dilithium.
Captain
# 5
11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
I understand what you're both saying, but if dilithium was a lot harder to obtain, people wouldn't have the excess dilithium to buy Zen with.

If people were only getting, for example, 1,000 dilithium a day, they may put a third of that towards their fleet, a third towards reputation items, and store the last third to buy Zen with. that's 333 dil a day. Call it 2 Zen at current prices.

No-one would bother using the dil exchange, simply because the people buying Zen with their dilithium would have to wait almost 50 days just to buy ONE Master Key.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish1701 View Post
They need to make dilithium more scarce so the prices go up.

I think making more dilithium available would drive prices down, not up. It's supposed to be more rare than energy credits.

I have lots of Zen, but I won't spend it on dilithium because I would get so very little for it. As horrific as it was to see the STFs stripped of their dilithium rewards I was kinda okay'ish with it as I suspected it would drive up the price of dilithium and I could just buy it with Zen, which is the model that Cryptic was trying to adopt. People with time make dilithium, and people with money buy it from them with Zen.

I think it's all fallen flat on its face as dilithium is too easy to come by.

Their attempt to pull it from the STFs resulted in forum rage, and quite rightly too. It should have just been slowly reduced sometime after the launch so as not to affect the launch of season 7 with bad press and rage quitters and help get a closer balance of what Cryptic needs to do vs what the playerbase will accept. It pains me to say this, but I question their business sense in doing what they did, to the extreme they did, and when they did it.

They still need to reduce it to make the economy work the way it should, and they will try again at some point, I'm sure.
You're wrong. It's basic Supply/Demand.

When the supply of Dilithium goes down, it means you have to pay more Zen to obtain it.
Ensign
# 7
11-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbart View Post
You're wrong. It's basic Supply/Demand.

When the supply of Dilithium goes down, it means you have to pay more Zen to obtain it.
Or shorter version: Zynga wants you to pay 1c-point per 25 dilithium.
Career Officer
# 8 Bigest Farmers/bigest Spenders
11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
They went hand in hand in are fleet.
"Of course you know, this means war!" Bugs Bunny
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Nope.

Less dilithium = Zen price increase

Since dilithium gets more harder to get, even with the 8k cap, the price will increase for zen.

So in a way, they make more money from Zen sellers that do not have the patience to grind for it.

I am cool with that.
SFX Fleet Captain Kar
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I seem to recall before the creation of the fleet bases, the exchange rate was something around 330 Dil = 1 Zen. When the fleet starbases came out, Zen suddenly *plummeted*.

I get the feeling that the issue here is that the whole 'supply/demand' thing is not really working the way Cryptic wants it to yet. It seems to me that Zen is the thing people aren't very interested in. Whether this is because there's not enough stuff worthwhile in the C-Store or what, I don't know.

All I know is that the exchange rate plummeted when there was suddenly **** to buy with Dilithium.