Lieutenant
# 1 STF Reputation... YAWN!!!!
11-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Yeah ok so another complaint bout season 7 I guess... (just glad I didnt invest US$200 for life time subscription recently).

Ok yeah fine, I like the principle.. But the pure Maths just dont add up...

Perhaps some clarity from someone as to what extra options may be available at Tier 2+ Reputation for STF's.

I have spent MOST of my playing time enjoying the STF system. Always on the hunt for the elusive Prototype Equipment Drops to obtain all the Maco/Omega XII sets. No complaints there when I dont get much.. It is (ok WAS) an ok way to score some Dilithium and EC (selling useless consoles and Engines etc).

So Yes I do like the fact that now I will be able to purchase them.

BUT

With the Maths done (as an average - with the information at hand).. It now means that I will need to grind these missions EVERY DAY for approximately 2 YEARS before being able to enjoy excellent benefits.

Heck it will be about a week before I get any kind of reward at all, and about a month before I can even access whatever has been exchanged for all my accumulated EDC's and Prototype Salvage.

Timers, I can live with... Having to provide more stuff to advance, ok fair enough.. But why make the rewards so low and the required reputation so high... Could we not get say 500 Reputation for completeing the Elite Special Task force portion (for completeing 5 STF missions) instead of a measly 5...

Definately not on a balanced scale, and in the long term dont think it is going to win favours with anyone.

If they want people to cancel their subscriptions and switch to F2P thus eventually killing the game entirely by going out of business, this is a great way to do it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
11-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilla56 View Post
Y
With the Maths done (as an average - with the information at hand).. It now means that I will need to grind these missions EVERY DAY for approximately 2 YEARS before being able to enjoy excellent benefits.

Heck it will be about a week before I get any kind of reward at all, and about a month before I can even access whatever has been exchanged for all my accumulated EDC's and Prototype Salvage.
Show your math, please.

Prior to S7 a lot of players complained about grinding for months without seeing prototype salvage or tech. One member of my fleet, a lifetimer since day one, was grinding STFs since he hit VA 2 months after launch, and has NEVER managed to win an Mk XII piece.

The randomness was simply too much, and to him the ability to buy the stuff after working at it for a while is the best thing to happen since his first Veteran award.

Is it too much grind for you (and some others)? Maybe. But you can't please everyone, and only time will tell if these decisions pleased the most (or most important) sections of the playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Show your math, please.

Prior to S7 a lot of players complained about grinding for months without seeing prototype salvage or tech. One member of my fleet, a lifetimer since day one, was grinding STFs since he hit VA 2 months after launch, and has NEVER managed to win an Mk XII piece.

The randomness was simply too much, and to him the ability to buy the stuff after working at it for a while is the best thing to happen since his first Veteran award.

Is it too much grind for you (and some others)? Maybe. But you can't please everyone, and only time will tell if these decisions pleased the most (or most important) sections of the playerbase.
All they needed to do was implement an alternative method to attain MK XII pieces by grinding and the problem would have been solved.

I think that the Omega reputation system could have existed with the old STF loot system. Omega marks could have been added to the EDC loot drop, just the captain abilities alone would have been enough motivation.
Captain
# 4
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Your math is off. To get the Mk XII armor you need tier 5 reputation. Tier 5 reputation requires 100,000 rxp. At tier 0 you have 2 missions that you can run at the same time:

1) File Situation Report on Status of the Borg Threat= 2000 rxp
2) Submit Research Materials to Omega = 800 rxp

These missions take 40 hours, with no cooldown. ie you can run them both at the same time every ~2 days. That's 71 days of play. Assuming you do no other missions ( I believe the gear missions are what the third slot is for), and there are no other missions that would give you more rxp (there's at least one- Omega Task Force - Claim Tier I Reputation for 5,000 rxp.)

That's 5 minutes (maybe ten if you have to hit a vendor) every 2 days for a little over 2 months. Compare that to the weeks, even months it took us previously- without any guarantee of ever seeing a piece of gear.

Edited because I can't multiply.

Last edited by bohiap; 11-16-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbart View Post
All they needed to do was implement an alternative method to attain MK XII pieces by grinding and the problem would have been solved.

I think that the Omega reputation system could have existed with the old STF loot system. Omega marks could have been added to the EDC loot drop, just the captain abilities alone would have been enough motivation.
Perhaps, and I do share your opinion for now, (though I've yet to be affected by it one way or the other) but there is such a thing as having too many options.

Perhaps keeping both systems would leave things too cluttered, or make the sets too easy to get (don't forget that complainers about "item uniqueness/exclusivity" are also a constant feature of the forums). Obv. Cryptic wants to put more weight behind the rep system, and hey, now it has a lot of weight.

All these changes have been designed to force players to engage with more systems rather than rely on just one thing for their daily grind. It's a shame that some of the complainers don't find these other systems as engaging as doing endless repetitions of STFs, but not everyone can get everything they want.

Quote:
That's 5 minutes (maybe ten if you have to hit a vendor) every 2 days for a little over a month. Compare that to the weeks, even months it took us previously?
Exactly. I'm rubbish in elite STFs, and in all likelihood I'd never see a single piece of Mk. XII set gear. Now I can. Yay me!
Captain
# 6
11-16-2012, 01:07 AM
I made my final character after hearing about the stf changes in season 7.

And I got everything from stf in time and more and mind you this was including leveling

The people who cry about never getting that last ground piece need some self-realization and admit they don't play ground.

I never had any problems on any character. And if I did, so what, I was still earning drops, chips and dilithium and even salvages for weapons.

But hey great 1up for the lazy people, just doesn't help the rest of us. I hope you can continue to enjoy zero rewards on all maps for your replica outfit

Like the whole justifcation of throwing stf away is giving those people access, why couldn't it stand on its own ?
Put the sets in the store, keep stf and make new content instead of this here circus
Career Officer
# 7
11-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I still have to roll my eyes at the new system in how it supposed to "help" players get their Mk12 sets.

This system supposed to help those who been working hard (literally) for months and never got any Prototype Tech Drops, but when they are finally about to get them, they change the system where now they have to work again in unlocking Tier 5 Reputation, camping BNPs, and paying 34,000 Dilithium PER set piece.

IMHO, what PW did was more like kicking a person when they are down then helping them. Because there was a ton of other ways Cryptic could've helped those people out like trading # of Rares for Prototype or having accolades have a hand in making it easier.

Really, I'm starting to doubt they really understand things. And that will lead to the end of STO.
Lieutenant
# 8
11-16-2012, 01:16 AM
I must say..I am rather enjoying the new content..
Republic Veteran
# 9
11-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post

IMHO, what PW did was more like kicking a person when they are down then helping them. Because there was a ton of other ways Cryptic could've helped those people out like trading # of Rares for Prototype or having accolades have a hand in making it easier.

Really, I'm starting to doubt they really understand things. And that will lead to the end of STO.
How many posts are you going to write about getting kicked somewhere just curious...i mean if someone kicked me over and over again...i would avoid that person. just saying.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Lieutenant
# 10
11-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Yeah, I still have to roll my eyes at the new system in how it supposed to "help" players get their Mk12 sets.

This system supposed to help those who been working hard (literally) for months and never got any Prototype Tech Drops, but when they are finally about to get them, they change the system where now they have to work again in unlocking Tier 5 Reputation, camping BNPs, and paying 34,000 Dilithium PER set piece.

Or they should of increase the drop rate for the Prototype Borg salvage stuff.

I think the new system is kinda confusing to be honest.

Before I ran STFs got a marker to trade in for stuff or get items to trade in for MK XII gear.