Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,993
# 11
11-16-2012, 02:39 AM
I was thinking about that the other night too, how much do they actually understand.
I reflected a little on it, now that I am not playing.

It's easy to get fascinated by an item if you can just pop it using a command line and totally overlook the 3 months of work it takes to get there.
So looking on their screen all claps and cheering over an item whereas what we have in front of us +1500 hours before we even get permission to unlock it...

Why couldn't we just have great new content with nothing being taken away ?
At which point have you heard a single person say, you know what I am tired of the stf rewards please remove them! Or how about hey man I am so sick of tired to be allowed to play when I want to, you better lock the game up for me!

When I look at the idea to remove stf rewards as content for season 7 and then watch them be surprised at the lack of postive feedback from us, you can't help but to cook up some deliberate, sinister motive on their part because no way they are that oblivious to their own game.
That level of ignorance would be more crazy than them being calculative and exploitive.

But to them there is no grinding, there is only the excellence of the items they can insta-spawn, they won't hurt themselves if they double the grinding or remove w/e rewards because they are not involved.

I am sure for season 7 they spent a lot of time admiring how great the new maps looked, really for extensive periods of time standing behind some guy's pc and totally getting into it.
And at that moment I am sure they were totally convinced that the awesomeness of it would totally overshadow everything else because it did to them.

Which leads to them having a right to hate us for not returning good feedback unjustified.
To them it's still awesome and they deserve credit and to us half the game or more just went out the airlock.

So I guess the lack of understanding goes both ways, only the difference being they are getting paid to excute a profession so the responsibility has to be theirs.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 12
11-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
IWhy couldn't we just have great new content with nothing being taken away ?
This isn't a problem of the devs missing the forest for the trees. If anyone has a perspective issue, it's the whiners.

Why can't we have new content with nothing being taken away? Because it doesn't work that way! They can't just give everyone everything.

What you're not realizing here is that if they didn't "take away" something that you wanted to keep, something else would probably have to go. Why? Because, in all likelihood, there would have been problems with the economy.

Just as likely, there are business reasons for the decision, so not "taking away" the thing you wanted to keep would have "taken away" something from them (i.e. the opportunity to increase revenue). Call that greed if you like, time will tell whether it was the right decision to make.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, but that's what a lot of the whiners have been asking for.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,993
# 13
11-16-2012, 02:58 AM
No free lunch ?
Sure there is, this is a f2p game, I got all my ships, all weapons and full max ground sets on all my characters FOR FREE.

And no, I won't suddenly rush to buy zen for dil for old items that are now locked for the next 2 months

Dstahl personally came out and said the idea of them making money off fleet and reputation dil "made him laugh". As in there in-come is from LTS, lockboxes and other ships and c-store items.

Now in addition they came out and said people are refining too little dilithium.

Finally the bragged on end about how well things are going and how they expanded their team and continue to do so.

So if you have an explanation for your "tactical economical decision" that fits that I'd love to hear it.

And to ask them same question again, why did they have to remove stf, exactly, to have a reputation system? Why not have both
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,675
# 14
11-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post

Why couldn't we just have great new content with nothing being taken away ?
At which point have you heard a single person say, you know what I am tired of the stf rewards please remove them! Or how about hey man I am so sick of tired to be allowed to play when I want to, you better lock the game up for me!
No most of the time I heard..."I hate this stupid drop lucky system it sucks CRYPTIC!!! this sucks...why can't I just buy them...or put a bar so I at least know how close i am"

They did not take the guns shields armor etc. from people....but if you were sitting on a payload of salvage, and EDC's I mean what were people saving it for if they were not going to cash it in for dilithiumi...so Cryptic nudged them, and gave them a choice cash in now, or wait for it to convert.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,962
# 15
11-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilla56 View Post
With the Maths done (as an average - with the information at hand).. It now means that I will need to grind these missions EVERY DAY for approximately 2 YEARS before being able to enjoy excellent benefits.
Your math looks wonky. people should be hitting tier 5 in like 3 months.

i did one elite task force during the bonus how. gave me enough marks to hit tier 1 on its own. the more you unlock and buy the longer it takes but after some initial grinding the system should be miles better than the hit and hope style of the last ones.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,993
# 16
11-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Heheh, well same question again.

Why did you have to remove something to add something ?

Keep stf, throw the sets on the store, reputation system with all NEW items standing on its own.

You can then buy your set pure cash, grind your way to it earning on stf or go play the reputation system.

What exactly would have been the problem


/edit

ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Your math looks wonky. people should be hitting tier 5 in like 3 months.
Right back at you

100,000 points to tier 5
2800 points every 39 hours
100,000/2800=35,71 gates x 39 hours=1392,69hours/24=58,03 days to tier 5

less than 60 days is not "3 months"

Last edited by vestereng; 11-16-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,675
# 17
11-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
Heheh, well same question again.

Why did you have to remove something to add something ?

Keep stf, throw the sets on the store, reputation system with all NEW items standing on its own.

You can then buy your set pure cash, grind your way to it earning on stf or go play the reputation system.

What exactly would have been the problem
Out with the old in with the new ..the old system sucked, so they put in a new system...everything with the old system...gone.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,993
# 18
11-16-2012, 03:24 AM
You are not making any points

What would the problem have been keeping stf and having a rep system and having the ground sets on the c-store

(I assume that's what you mean when you say "the old system sucked")

From where I am sitting my rewards from stf got nucked from up to what 6000 k dil to max 980, PLUS all drops of items.

That's a 600 % decrease in rewards for what, you get access to the ground set you gave up on ?

Even so it's still the same question, why couldn't people like you, simply buy the set on the c-store while the rest of got to keep our stf's.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,962
# 19
11-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
Right back at you

100,000 points to tier 5
2800 points every 39 hours
100,000/2800=35,71 gates x 39 hours=1392,69hours/24=58,03 days to tier 5

less than 60 days is not "3 months"
because i was not be anal about it. I said in 'like 3 months'.

do you think every single player is going to update their progress bars exactly on time, every single time?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 20
11-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
So if you have an explanation for your "tactical economical decision" that fits that I'd love to hear it.
Honestly? I don't have one. I'm not a member of the dev team and don't know how much money they're making and from where (clearly you do, though).

But the point of my answer was to say that sometimes you just can't have it all. Cryptic clearly believed that you couldn't have it all when it comes to STF rewards and reputation. Maybe we'll get lucky and have an explanation for why. We probably won't, but they don't do things for absolutely no reason.

There are likely factors in there that no one but they know about, and there's always the chance that the motivation might not have involved conferring direct benefits upon the playerbase.

This doesn't mean that the relationship between dev and playerbase has to be adversarial, but not every decision can please everyone.

Quote:
What exactly would have been the problem
Who knows? Cryptic, probably. It'd be nice if they could explain, but acting like we automatically know better just because we can't see the direct benefit to ourselves from our own narrow, self-interested perspective (nothing wrong with self-interest, mind you) helps no one.

Last edited by unangbangkay; 11-16-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 AM.