Lieutenant
# 41
11-16-2012, 06:43 AM
This will be a Star Trek game when the principles of the IDIC apply and there is respect for the Prime Directive.

For awhile, there was an emphasis on Diplomacy and while it wasnt particularly well done, I loved the direction the Devs were taking. The Doff season killed Diplomacy. Diplomacy missions pay 10 xp towards the 100,000 you need to make Ambassador. It used to be 1360 and now its 100,000. Ambassador is a doff thing now rather than doing the diplomacy missions built for the game. The Ferengi diplos at MA, the Vulcan diplo mission, and the other diplos are now mostly memories of the past.

Now there is more pew pew this and pew pew that so you can rank up in "reputation". I wanted a Trek game and not a Pew Pew game. The reason the Romulan mark missions already bore me is that they just seem to be more pew pew without even good story content to back them. Honestly, much to the chagrin of my teammates, I found myself playing freecell during the new Azure Nebula thing because the whole stupid thing just seemed like more pew pew.

Before JJ Abrams, In Trek they did everything they could to avoid conflict. Sometimes there were pull phaser moments but they tried to avoid getting to that point.

Adding more pew pew missions and more to shoot is not Trek. Its not what the show was about. One reason, so many of us put up with so much in this game is that we hope that this game will steer towards a brighter future just as the series did.

The Devs these days seem content to bury Trek Ideals and Diplomacy under mounds of pew pew and grind. They do not seem to know how to make missions that do not involve shooting something.

Trek is NOT pull phasers and collect Romulan Marks. Im sorry but its not. Obviously there are a few trekkies left but they are being pushed out in favor of catering to the traditional pew pew gaming crowd. Its hard to tell the difference between STO and Conan the Barbarian these days. If you want to do well in this game, you kill stuff.

Its fine to emulate every other game if thats what your playerbase says they want. But it aint Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
If you can do what WoW does and you can do some things that no MMO does and you can do it on a PWE F2P business model that adapts to back off just a bit when players scream "ouch", I think that's actually a pretty fantastic achievement.
Agreed, but as it is now, I really have no desire to do the New Romulus dailies ever again. I think that's a real shame, because obviously a lot of work has gone into creating the zone. If the dailies were shorter and more varied (i.e. less grindy) I would probably consider doing them again.
Lieutenant
# 43
11-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evendzhar View Post
Agreed, but as it is now, I really have no desire to do the New Romulus dailies ever again.
You dont, but I do. And guess what? Its very likely the some of the dailies you DO have a desire to do again, I dont. So what does that teach us? Absolutely nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thef0xguy View Post
You dont, but I do. And guess what? Its very likely the some of the dailies you DO have a desire to do again, I dont. So what does that teach us? Absolutely nothing.
I have given my reasons for not liking the dailies. It may not teach you anything, but others might find it interesting. You, however, haven't given any reason for liking the dailies. That certainly doesn't teach anyone anything.
Career Officer
# 45
11-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evendzhar View Post
Agreed, but as it is now, I really have no desire to do the New Romulus dailies ever again. I think that's a real shame, because obviously a lot of work has gone into creating the zone. If the dailies were shorter and more varied (i.e. less grindy) I would probably consider doing them again.
They get more varied as your rep increases. And the space ones seem more varied and a bit like a test model for a new exploration system.

The space missions have rather intelligent use of random variables.

The ones with dialogue have several complete entire dialogue trees (non-Mad Libs!) with combat and non-combat outcomes. Additionally, the ones with combat have randomized combat elements, including getting aided by the Enterprise or ambushed by Iconians.

I think the mistake is the idea that you're supposed to spend every play session on New Romulus. The only "need" to go back there daily is for Epohh breeding and the New Romulus lore DOff assignment.

Otherwise, 75 Romulan marks a week will get you your rep. And you can get that from doing just some of the dailies, the DOff assignments, the space patrol, or the Salt Vampire fleet action. There is far more to do than you need to do, which gives you choices. It's maybe an hour or two a week. Inside the first week, you get additional missions on New Romulus.

Now imagine ten zones like New Romulus. That's when you get into real MMO territory.
Captain
# 46
11-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugshu View Post
They do not seem to know how to make missions that do not involve shooting something.
Hahah

I played my virgin first contact mission today and it was fun having to read, think and make a decision.

Albeit 50 points I got out of 50,000 is just crazy talk.

If people love the denture zone I will say terrific then it wasn't a complete waste, I will just reserve the right to say clicking f 10 times by some shiny pixels doesn't really challenge me or motivate me. See you in 20 hours for another 10 clicks!
Captain
# 47
11-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Not to mention the whole helping others in need, putting your differences aside to reach a common goal thing. That's pretty Trek too and is the entire theme of the New Romulus zone.
No, that's a pretty Federation thing. It doesn't fit with the KDF theme at all, yet everyone sees fit to copy+paste this Fed-biased tripe onto the KDF. Helping a faction within a Romulan/Reman civil war is one thing, but this ground swell/peace-and-happiness for all in the future thing is BS. Any sensible Klingon Empire would be working flat out to conquer the Romulans AND the Remans, rather than letting the insidious Federation sink its tentacles into the region.

As usual, KDF comes last in line in terms of priorities. When was the last time KDF got content that was clearly aligned towards KDF themes and KDF values?
Captain
# 48
11-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
S7 doesn't have any new exploration, so don't know what you mean. They didn't even introduce a new nebula, except Azure, but it's just combat, not explore.

Not seeing how S7 instantly makes it a "star trek" game /shrug
Azure is not new. We awesome KDF players have had Azure and a mission involving it for a long time now. Now it's peddled out to the Federation petaQ'pu, like everything else. I don't expect anything else.
Captain
# 49
11-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I forgot to ask, where on new rom do you pick up the quest item for doff assignments, what was the name historical records or whatever and what is the reward ?
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
They get more varied as your rep increases.
That's one of those things I'll have to see to believe. I'll certainly give them a try if/when I unlock them.

Quote:
Otherwise, 75 Romulan marks a week will get you your rep.
That's true for just the rep, but to get the gear (which is why you're doing the rep in the first place) you will need much more than 75 marks a week to progress in a timely manner.