Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,760
# 51
11-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
No, that's a pretty Federation thing. It doesn't fit with the KDF theme at all, yet everyone sees fit to copy+paste this Fed-biased tripe onto the KDF. Helping a faction within a Romulan/Reman civil war is one thing, but this ground swell/peace-and-happiness for all in the future thing is BS. Any sensible Klingon Empire would be working flat out to conquer the Romulans AND the Remans, rather than letting the insidious Federation sink its tentacles into the region.

As usual, KDF comes last in line in terms of priorities. When was the last time KDF got content that was clearly aligned towards KDF themes and KDF values?
Actually, it was quite clearly explained that they were doing it for their own good.

It doesn't serve the Klingon Empire at all if they wage a war with the Federation AND the Romulans.

It's only a stalemate as it is now, the Romulans joining the Federation side in the war would destroy the Empire entirely.

Besides, their technology will be quite useful, and if getting it without letting Starfleet destroy them means that they have to work with the Romulans, then so be it.

"Ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat, and destroying an Empire to win a battle is no victory." - Worf and Gowron in Way of the Warrior
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 314
# 52
11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Keep in mind a few things:

1) It's easier to add content to a zone like this than to add episodes.
This is true; however, I don't consider it a valid argument.

Episodes are fun and immersive. Dailies become old very quickly and are not really all that much more "replayable" than episodic content. It's only replayable if it's fun (at least for me).

Right now, the idea that episodes are harder to make falls flat on its face simply because Cryptic started with less mission/quest content than most other MMOs. If they had a fully fleshed out quest experience and *then* wanted to go with primarily adding New Romulus style content, it might be better received.

For many players, missions are the bread and butter of the experience. That's where the immersion into the story is. The New Romulus content is equivalent to the little side quests you see in some (especially fantasy) MMOs, not the main storyline content.

I played through the whole map the first day. It was okay. There were some fun mechanics and some things of interest, but by and large it was not truly engaging as a whole.

I started back through it again last night and did a couple of areas, then switched characters and played episode content. The episodes -- which I've played before -- were more fun. There was more to them and they draw your character into the story.

This is not to knock the new adventure zone; it was a nice change of pace. But I sincerely hope it is not intended to replace good episodic content, because it can't compare for immersion. As a change of pace, it works great. As main content, no so much.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 314
# 53
11-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Now imagine ten zones like New Romulus. That's when you get into real MMO territory.
Ten zones like New Romulus would not draw me into an MMO.

Ten storyline episode series like City on the Edge of Never would.

Running around the landscape clicking on everything in sight does not constitute story and immersion for me. The light story behind them works as a nice change of pace, especially when I have a small window of time to play in, but it can't replace truly immersive content than draws my character into the story of the game.

New Romulus is a well done zone, but it does feel more like a side game, not a main story element.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,028
# 54
11-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
Ten zones like New Romulus would not draw me into an MMO.

Ten storyline episode series like City on the Edge of Never would.

Running around the landscape clicking on everything in sight does not constitute story and immersion for me. The light story behind them works as a nice change of pace, especially when I have a small window of time to play in, but it can't replace truly immersive content than draws my character into the story of the game.

New Romulus is a well done zone, but it does feel more like a side game, not a main story element.
You haven't played the New Romulus story episodes, though!

I'm fully prepared to pass some judgment but not until I've seen more of the story.

This is the introduction to the story.

If New Romulus is a musical score, the dailies are the overture. They set the stage for where we are. It's the establishing shot, in film terms.

You don't HAVE to play anything on New Romulus more than once for rep. You'll have to repeat SOMETHING for rep but you get a broad choice of what to repeat.

And by not repeating anything, you'd still be at almost Tier 3 in rep, by which point you'd have new things (including FE style story missions) that unlock on New Romulus.

You barely have to repeat anything unless you want gear or vanity items.

If you repeat all the New Romulus stuff once a week, you're absolutely golden.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,037
# 55
11-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillithiae View Post
No, I'm not being sarcastic. All the hubbub about dilithium aside, exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game. I wish it had come sooner, but all I can say is "job well done" and please add more of this type of content!
If you think scanning rocks, taking water sample and killing mobs is "trek", you should play others mmos. Lots of "trek" experience in them.

Honestly, when I play New Romulus, I feel like playing GW2 with phasers, same boring "fetch this or kill that" quests.

Oh, and we have the reputation system. Click here and wait 1.5day. Awesome !
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,177
# 56
11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
I can see the good and the bad, but I think we need to consider the economy.

I heard from an unofficial but usually reliable source that the STO Dev team is just a little above a dozen a people.

Which means that they may not have the manpower nor the funding to just make 10 more planets like this.

Especially if they want new models, which are pretty much the longest and hardest thing to add into the game.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 314
# 57
11-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
You haven't played the New Romulus story episodes, though!

I'm fully prepared to pass some judgment but not until I've seen more of the story.

This is the introduction to the story.

If New Romulus is a musical score, the dailies are the overture. They set the stage for where we are. It's the establishing shot, in film terms.

You don't HAVE to play anything on New Romulus more than once for rep. You'll have to repeat SOMETHING for rep but you get a broad choice of what to repeat.

And by not repeating anything, you'd still be at almost Tier 3 in rep, by which point you'd have new things (including FE style story missions) that unlock on New Romulus.

You barely have to repeat anything unless you want gear or vanity items.

If you repeat all the New Romulus stuff once a week, you're absolutely golden.
Thanks for that info. I'll be very interested to see what the Romulan story episodes are like.

Admittedly, I am guilty of passing judgment a bit too soon, based on one playthrough and not unlocking the FE-style missions. And I'm only talking about the New Romulus surface zone, not the space patrols or anything else in that sector. I've done one patrol so far and enjoyed it; there were certainly more light story elements to it than the standard circle the planet and fight five fleets we've seen before.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,028
# 58
11-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
I can see the good and the bad, but I think we need to consider the economy.

I heard from an unofficial but usually reliable source that the STO Dev team is just a little above a dozen a people.

Which means that they may not have the manpower nor the funding to just make 10 more planets like this.

Especially if they want new models, which are pretty much the longest and hardest thing to add into the game.
They were a year ago. They're up to 50 now. I think this is the kind of thing we can expect to see reliably cranked out if it works.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,028
# 59
11-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
Thanks for that info. I'll be very interested to see what the Romulan story episodes are like.

Admittedly, I am guilty of passing judgment a bit too soon, based on one playthrough and not unlocking the FE-style missions. And I'm only talking about the New Romulus surface zone, not the space patrols or anything else in that sector. I've done one patrol so far and enjoyed it; there were certainly more light story elements to it than the standard circle the planet and fight five fleets we've seen before.
My one big qualm is that I think this kind of content needs a bit different distribution of unlocks.

I feel like once you've toured the area by doing the dailies once, you should get an FE-style episode that builds on that.

Whereas it looks our first unlock in this system requires waiting a week.

Maybe even have it so that the FE is required to get in the zone and predates the tour. It would build anticipation for the zone more.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,550
# 60
11-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
If you think scanning rocks, taking water sample and killing mobs is "trek", you should play others mmos. Lots of "trek" experience in them.
Behold, the average jaded Trek fan.

Sure the mechanics of New Romulus are pretty standard MMO fare. No one with a functioning brain and past MMO experience would argue otherwise. It's stock "go here collect rocks" fare.

But you're missing the point. This is a strange new world, that we have never had access to before now. And, lo and behold, it is your task to explore it. Seeking out new life to help an old civilization adapt. And incidentally uncovering mysteries about a new civilization on the planet, too, if the ruins mean anything.

Then there's the themes of helping others in need, as I mentioned. Which someone pointed out was a Federation theme, but then again, Star Trek was largely about the Federation doing, well by golly, very much the same sorts of things we're seeing on New Romulus!

And yes, by this standard, any new content in, say, WoW, that has you exploring new places and helping new people is Trek-like content. Well that's because it's true. Just because you're an elf or troll doesn't mean exploring new places is any less in the spirit of Trek.

In closing, congratulation to most of you for missing the point of what Trek-like content is and having to have it explained to you.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 AM.