Commander
# 31
11-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
No, a purple doff is worth exactly:
- spend 5 min to go to a nebula
- slot a support mission
- wait for 4h, if it crits, enjoy. Get a refugee you can also turn into a purple with luck.

or:
- choose a white/green/blue/support doff, check BU, AT, ZA, and use it into an exchange mission. Enjoy a purple with a 20% average chance.

or:
- turn your extra CXP into fleet credits, buy purple doffs, enjoy.

Saying a purple doff costs 55k dilithium is lazyness or complete ignorance of the doff system, and I know you perfectly know how it works.

A few months ago, we had no grinder and it was perfectly fine. The grinder was introduced to help us upgrading our starbases to meet the green and blue doff requirements. Now that the community has moaned enough to remove those, it's legitimate to increase the cost of these doffs we don't need anymore. In no way they are required, now the only use of the grinder is lazyness to upgrade your own roster.

And the bright side of the update is that purple doffs will be better valued (hopefully), which means more money for doffers willing to sell a part of their roster. Ignorance is always blamable, if people pay for doffs because they don't want to learn how it works i won't feel sad for them.

My only regret is about the free academy pack, it wasn't really hurting the game.

so, new players can only gamble...gotcha, tough if their crit chance is low eh? newbies are just lazy sods eh? but, you're going to hang around the academy and tell them these tricks? that they don't have to pay dilithium? since the first thing they see when they get there is 3 choices, spend, spend to upgrade, wait 4 days for a freepack, or buy packs from the zen store.

said this before, if you already have everything none of the changes matter one bit to you, if you played for awhile you know all the tricks. and it seems are also incapable in the slightest of looking at anything except from your own perspective.

kudos for that narrow view. fact is to someone starting out that doesn't know all the tricks it does cost dilithium. the game doesn't explain that there's cheaper methods. and all YOUR methods are gambling, and still only getting a random purple doff or none at all.
Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
Lieutenant
# 32
11-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Aestu is right on this issue. Arguing against his points is optimistic thinking.
Lieutenant
# 33
11-16-2012, 06:28 AM
I have to say this - Cryptic may be intending to reduce the amount of dilithium in players hands to drive Zen sales ... however this inflates the value of dilithium and reduces the value of zen.

Players will adapt quickly to the reduced value of zen by buying less of it.

I just dont see people saying, the value of my Zen has been reduced by 50% so to compensate I will pull out my credit card and purchase 200% more of it.

I do see people saying, wow, $20 used to buy me a good amount of dilithium. Now it costs $40 to buy the same amount. How much is that guildwars 2 game over on that shelf?
Captain
# 34
11-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugshu View Post
Aestu is right on this issue. Arguing against his points is optimistic thinking.
Am I the only one who looked at that post and thought "This is an alternate account made by aestu"?

Stating that there are many alternatives to something is not optimistic thinking, it is presenting facts. And the facts are that there's a lot of ways you can get doffs of various qualities if you take the time to do doff chains. There's supports, there's Chrysalis (does the repeatable there give you doffs on crit? I don't remember critting it.), there's the embassy chains (officer exchange ftw!), there's asylums, there's the new Caitian/Ferasan chain, there's prisoner exchanges, instigating defections, exchanging Dominion prisoners for Dominion doffs, cultural exchanges, and the career cadres.

Quite easy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Empire Veteran
# 35
11-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
so, new players can only gamble.
That's what we did prior to exchanges, and I already had 200 or more purple doffs before the grinder. Few of them were support ones, because I don't need that many clones. It took me months to build my current roster, and I have less than 20 doffs coming from the grinder in it. They don't always give the best ones. It'll just take the time it took before season 6. That's not a big deal.

If people don't lurk these forums and don't (want to) join the dedicated channel, I think we shouldn't blame the devs for that. Again, the only purpose of the grinder was to help us building our starbases. Now that we only need whites, this purpose is gone and the use of this tool changed too.

Now you only need whites. I can't make it clearer. All other qualities are extras you use for endgame doffing. You're free to play this part of the game or not. Nothing in the doff system is mandatory now, except recruiting white doffs at the academy.

Last edited by diogene0; 11-16-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Look, if they are going to increase the cost of upgrading DOffs through reassignment, at least make the prices more reasonable? So that they are less than the regular cost of getting a purple?

Quote:
"Now you only need whites. I can't make it clearer. All other qualities are extras you use for endgame doffing. You're free to play this part of the game or not. Nothing in the doff system is mandatory now, except recruiting white doffs at the academy."
It would have been nice to have White DOffs available at the store instead of having to wait to recruit them.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Anyone that uses the upgrinder to get a RANDOM purple doff is a complete moron, has no idea how the system works and as far as I'm concerned, deserves the boning they get...

Use the multiple free missions or buy them from the exchange, pretty freaking easy.
Commander
# 38
11-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by recksracer View Post
Anyone that uses the upgrinder to get a RANDOM purple doff is a complete moron, has no idea how the system works and as far as I'm concerned, deserves the boning they get...

Use the multiple free missions or buy them from the exchange, pretty freaking easy.
Exactly. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.
Captain
# 39
11-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by recksracer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Exactly. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.
QFT ^^

/10char
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Rihannsu
# 40
11-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
My only regret is about the free academy pack, it wasn't really hurting the game.
Yes and no.

did it hurt things on it's own? no.

But, it was imbalanced. It was pretty much the best source of free doffs in the game. It gave you 5 just for doing the mission. AND you could keep them in the doff pack until you needed them. Most of my characters have a stack of these packs because I don't bother using them most of the time. Cultural exchanges give 1, 3 on a crit. branch recruiting is 2, 3 on crit. the general recruiting assignment gave you as many doffs as several of the other academy recruiting missions. AND you could keep them in a box for later.

so yeah, I don't think it really NEEDED the dil cost, but I understand why the Devs did it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.