Starfleet Veteran
# 21
11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
WE spent TIME on it. Face it man S7 is a failure. ADMIT IT, stop defending the indefensible.
You spent time on it? Yes, so did I. What was the reward? The joy of playing the game!! If it's no longer a joy, find something else. Find value for your time and energy. Me, I'm loving the game exactly the way it is. I play because I find it fun. I'm also not alone in this. The people who are having fun are just less vocal about it.

What happens when the game one day ends? What will you say then? I want my money back because I spent TIME on it? They'll laugh at you. So will I.
Career Officer
# 22
11-16-2012, 10:09 AM
The fleet mark issue is definitely a concern and source of frustration in our mid-sized fleet as well. We have all SB and embassy projects ready to go, minus the ungodly amount of fleet marks. The SB is at mid T2 as well...

So I try to contribute - run fleet actions, etc. Hooray, 9 marks (give or take, from FAs at least). That will really make a dent in the 1200 required for xyz project (singular).

I could understand it from a business perspective is there was a way to monetize on the fleet marks - but there isn't anything in place.
Community Moderator
# 23
11-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larouche55 View Post
I could understand it from a business perspective is there was a way to monetize on the fleet marks - but there isn't anything in place.
But, there is. If you have to play more to get them, and you want them, you'll pay for things that make this extra play more convenient for you, such as consumables and better ships.

Further, by making progression take longer, at least some of the audience will stick around longer before they reach the post-progression burnout.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Further, by making progression take longer, at least some of the audience will stick around longer before they reach the post-progression burnout.
And that's why I've brought out toons that I haven't played for ages. Because there's now something long term to do with them.
Career Officer
# 25
11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
You're 100% right that all players should try to get the most value for their time and money. I think, however, that a lot of players are trying to get that value by trying to steer the game in directions it's just not going to go. I think the best way that a player can get best value is control the amount of time and money they spend.

That may mean people leave, but that's the way it is with MMOs.
Indeed, the thing with STO is that as a sub game that went F2p its been constantly changing the goalposts, changing the rules of "game". So a lot of people that would otherwise not touch a F2P game at all were already invested into STO. Naturally they will complain every step of the game moving in a direction they don't want it to go. Some of them feel they have been lied to and due to their investment of time/money/community they now feel trapped as well. While others may disagree I can certainly understand their plight.

Personally I think we're in another transition phase for STO, when most of the pre f2p players will finally leave or give up on STO, accepting it for it is and either go with the flow or hang around spending nothing and encouraging others to do the same. Sucks for most of the older players and it only makes STO fit more into the cycle of growth/decline that most f2p games go through, by PWI's own numbers their f2p model burns out games in 5 years or less
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
The more players are forced to do the parts of the game they don't enjoy, the less likely they are to stay and actually spend money on the game. It is amusing to see people that claim to enjoy the game and want it to succeed cheer about these changes that are just driving off more players.
# 27
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I think it's a part of being human. You will like foods I don't and visa versa. Same goes for movies, clothes, everything. You're starting to not like it, my view hasn't changed. They're not claims. They're a reality.
Career Officer
# 28
11-16-2012, 10:33 AM
People need to learn what the term exploit means.

If B'Tran wasn't properly designed that is one thing, but it was designed, it was put in the game for a VERY long time, it was played and rewarded the way it was meant to be. It, by definition, is not an exploit. A single B'Tran run still took 15 minutes, plus travel time to and from the ass end of the universe.

The console clicking may have been one, but it too existed in the game for a very very long time. When the devs increased the rewards of that mission, they basically said it was ok. The devs knew how it was being accomplished because the top 20 missions played were all console clicks. There is a very big issue with giving someone something then coming back and say, uh no we want that back.

I have no desire to have everything, nor do I feel entitled to everything. But if I am incapable of reaching the 8k dilithium cap daily then casual players have no hope at all.

I have written very long, very detailed guides for our fleet on how to earn dilithium, marks, how to build ships, do ground content, run fleet actions, how to run stfs, doffing.. every aspect of the game. I know what I'm talking about, I see the entire picture, and as someone who has to take care of a fleet I see how they feel as well. When our casual players just give up, and our more dedicated players complain in frustration on the verge of throwing the towel in, then whats left? The silent ones.. maybe, I'm sure they are happy.
Empire Veteran
# 29
11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
There are a dozen variations on this, why so much development time if there is no content here?
Because you unlock a lot of new content with reputation tiers. The content is the reward, this time.
Rihannsu
# 30
11-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larouche55 View Post
The fleet mark issue is definitely a concern and source of frustration in our mid-sized fleet as well. We have all SB and embassy projects ready to go, minus the ungodly amount of fleet marks. The SB is at mid T2 as well...

So I try to contribute - run fleet actions, etc. Hooray, 9 marks (give or take, from FAs at least). That will really make a dent in the 1200 required for xyz project (singular).

i think this will become an bigger issue in some 7 days or a little more as people in bigger fleets who have found the marks always filled will spend their saved mark pools..

smaller fleets feel it first, of course..

btw - my son is playing some f2p + cash shop games. some browser games too.
In every one of them he gets something just for logging in. Once a day.

Why could a toon in this f2p game get free 50 Fleet Marks a day for logging in? Without a mission?

If they do not want to monetize them, to make them exchangeable.. etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
But, there is. If you have to play more to get them, and you want them, you'll pay for things that make this extra play more convenient for you, such as consumables and better ships.

I see NO reason i can earn tons of Omega or Romulan marks in an hour, and in the same playtime ill get only some 30 Fleet Marks.
Gimme a logical explanation pls.

I know, you can't admit that this is one of the issues, which Cryptic FORGOT about..

EDIT - i really do not care about the Dill changes.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 11-16-2012 at 11:04 AM.