Career Officer
# 11
11-16-2012, 01:12 PM
It was brought up a couple of times that people would pay for an expansion if it really added tons of new content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Well nobody can complain about Free. But seems things are slow with expanding STO, like it's a little bit at a time, if you know what I mean. Could you imagine if you opened up areas of the Galaxy with enough content that kept people busy for months without repeating the same missions over and over? That be the cats meow.
Career Officer
# 12
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
season 8 will have featured episodes
possibly kdf content
Empire Veteran
# 13
11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
As much as I don't "get" why they don't have paid content, yes I would pay for it.
But cryptic doesn't need kdf money judging by the # of kdf ships in the game in the last two years so it isn't going to happen.

It confuses me why paid content isn't an option for at least a little while.
For example a 5 part fe series on the same quality as the romulan series for, I don't know, 20$. But announce it will be free in 3 months if you dot have the money.
I would still pay the 20$'s And cryptic can still say that all their content is free!
Commander
# 14
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Funny last time I checked Champions Online was run by Cryptic and you DID have to use c-store credits to do special mission chains unless you were a gold member.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 15
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Funny last time I checked Champions Online was run by Cryptic and you DID have to use c-store credits to do special mission chains unless you were a gold member.
I commented about that here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...11&postcount=7

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Commander
# 16
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Pretty sure he emphasized "was". Since the PWE merger all content has been free to download and play. For as greedy as people think PWE to be, I don't think they'd allow paid content anyway.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting

Last edited by lewstelamon01; 11-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
I see no mission/quest content in the Champions Online C-Store.

Raptr profile
Empire Veteran
# 18
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
It was brought up a couple of times that people would pay for an expansion if it really added tons of new content.

Well nobody can complain about Free. But seems things are slow with expanding STO, like it's a little bit at a time, if you know what I mean. Could you imagine if you opened up areas of the Galaxy with enough content that kept people busy for months without repeating the same missions over and over? That be the cats meow.

Agreed,

The type of content that I looking for shows up maybe once a year.

What about new missions that fit in with the Fed missions that we used to level our Toons with the 1st time out in STO, will we ever see missions like those again?

I know that we have foundry missions but Foundry missions just do not fill the void for me.

The Klingon Alpha mission was a great one off mission and I'd love to see more Cryptic made missions like it.
Career Officer
# 19
11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Content gated behind a paywall is a terrible idea. It divides the community, and makes the good thing of the f2p model (more people to play with) irrelevant. I suffered enough of this when I was playing Dungeon and Dragons Online, with f2p players dropping without warning when trying to get into a premium quest, leaving a party short and delaying the whole thing until a new member could be recruited into the party.

One of the best things about the F2P model of STO is that they had the wisdom to learn from the mistakes of other F2P games. A 50 level player can play the same content, no matter if it is "silver", "silver former gold" or "gold". And despite what naysayers and entitlement queens might say, this is a good thing.
Captain
# 20
11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Them not charging for it has nothing to do with them being good to us. It has everything to do with the fact that mission content has from the beginning been the most painful thing for Cryptic to produce. If they started charging for it, they would be obligated to produce more of it. That means real work on actual meaningful playable content, and all Cryptic seems to know how to do these days is create grindfests.

I am sorry if some corporate suit gets his feelings hurt. but this is my perception of things. I wish they would focus as much on free mission content as they do on the grindfests and dilithium sinks brought by seasons 6 and 7. Playable NON-GRIND content is what I will pay for. I will not pay to grind. I will not pay for fluff. I will pay for story content.

So long as it is not monetized, it will not be profitable. So long as it is not profitable, it will not be prioritized. So long as it is not prioritized, ot will not be produced.

And the line they are feeding us about Season 8 being the Klingon content push? Pardon me if I do not believe a word of it. Klingons have been supposed to be getting a content push "next season" every season that comes out. I chalk it up right there with the territory control mechanics and exploration revamp. Things people actually want, sacrificed constanlty for crap nobody really asks for. At least not that I have read.

Who are they designing this game for, anyway? I mean REALLY?
I'm not really a John Galt,
but I play one on the forums...