Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Empire Veteran
# 11
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
No. Because there are fixed amounts of dilithium required in various sinks. They don't change with the dilithium exchange rates. So if you want to progress quicker you have to pay for it no matter what, and if you don't give cryptic 20 cents to finish your project someone else will. If the dilithium exchange rate is lower (less dil for zens) it means more people are willing to buy it, ie that dil is more desirable than cash.

Last edited by diogene0; 11-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Rihannsu
# 12
11-16-2012, 10:56 AM
to the OP:

Cryptic would get more cash for actually selling something.

SHIPS:
I do not think they can come with ANY other ship which would be somehow "new".
Not for long, without lifting it to tier 6 (plus 2 consoles etc, one more aft turret). (that would piss many off if they do not offer an upgrade "pack" for your existing ship)

I have some 2 Zen ships, 1 Lockbox on the FED side and some 10 Zen and 1 Lockbox on the KDF side. The ONLY ships i would buy is a
- KDF science ship with 17 turn rate
- a D'Deridex (not a lockbox, a Zen store)
- a Romulan BOP with Enhanced Battle Cloak

But i would still buy -
SHINIES:

- KDF uniforms, KDF off duty stuff, Alien off duty stuff... Nausicaan Off duty stuff DD
- stuff for my ready room, colours for my starship coridors, lounge...
there is even stuff in the foundry i would buy for my starship/Readyroom/Quarters if unlocked for a reasonable price (125 - 250 Zen)..
- stuff for the embassy
- new hair
- a Risa residence, which would allow me to participate on the Non pew pew missions there.. (oh there aren't any)

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 11-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Captain
# 13
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
You can't apply basic economic principles to the dilithium exchange. Cryptic controls both currencies and they set the price at whatever they want it to be. Neither dilithium nor zen actually COSTS anything, there is no overhead associated with manufacturing or distribtion. There is no product. Thus, one of their backend people with a keyboard and their finger in the exchange's guts can do one of two things:

Too many dil per Z: Exchange rate at 400 dil per zen? Not good. Post half a million zen at 300 and watch as everybody higher than that scrambles to underbid you by 1 so that THEY get the dil.

Too few dil per Z: Exchange rate at 100 dil per zen? Not good. Buy the outstanding offers, post half a million zen at 200. Same story. People are only going to wander a point or two off the pace you set.

You can even do these things a little at a time so they are less obvious.

Supply and demand doesn't work when the supply is infinite and the entire system is privately owned.
Career Officer
# 14
11-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh, these threads. I'm consistently amazed at how little of high school level economics people seem to retain. Or any of high school for that matter. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I can do algebra anymore. Moving on...

Zen and Dilithium is a simple commodities/currency exchange governed by plain old supply and demand. Now, an interesting quirk of online games is that since nothing is an actual finite physical resource, there's always as much as people are willing to create. It's not like a "vein" of dilithium runs dry and you have to find more, and we'll never hit "peak dilithium". So, to regulate the market, they have to make sure that there are places where dilithium is permanently removed, so a relatively stable amount is on the market at once. Thus, dilithium sinks.

Now, as for Zen prices, dilithium sinks and closing dil farming exploits cause the Zen price to go down. This is not up for debate, this is what happens, both in economic theory and in practice of watching the actual game. Less dilithium sitting in people's inventory means less on the Dil exchange. Less in the market increases the value of each unit. Due to the fleet starbases draining player dilithium reserves, Zen is MUCH cheaper to buy post Season 6, even after you convert the relative value of C-Points to Zen. People will no longer pay 180, because that Dil is needed elsewhere, but they can still pay 160, so that's where the market balanced. This will likely happen again now that the B'Tran and Officer Reports exploits are removed, and STF rewards reduced.

Does this affect Cryptic's or PWE's income? Probably not. People are still buying Zen to trade it for Dil on the exchange. It's certainly not making them more money. Here's a crazy thought though. I know this is radical concept, but try to follow along:

Maybe Cryptic/PWE aren't just greedy sleezebags trying to get your every last penny and they actually do care about people getting good value for the time they spend playing.

Reducing the amount of dilithium in the system makes it easier for ALL players to earn Zen store rewards for the time they spend playing. That, over the long term, leads to a happier player base and ultimately more money for the company. Neat how that works right?

Now if we can just do something about the ridiculous amount of Energy Credits in the economy...
Captain
# 15
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Maybe Cryptic/PWE aren't just greedy sleezebags trying to get your every last penny and they actually do care about people getting good value for the time they spend playing.

Reducing the amount of dilithium in the system makes it easier for ALL players to earn Zen store rewards for the time they spend playing. That, over the long term, leads to a happier player base and ultimately more money for the company. Neat how that works right?

Now if we can just do something about the ridiculous amount of Energy Credits in the economy...
yea by making dilithium hard to get it will make it have more value .Thats not bad because when you get to have a good quantity of dilithium you will feel some kind of "wow Im rich now and I get buy this and that".That is a good move .Removing rewards from stfs was the bad move .

As for ec...well I have almot 1 billion ec (i like to trade) ...so yea please make the prices go down ,I want to afford the exchange
Community Moderator
# 16
11-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
You can't apply basic economic principles to the dilithium exchange. Cryptic controls both currencies and they set the price at whatever they want it to be. Neither dilithium nor zen actually COSTS anything, there is no overhead associated with manufacturing or distribtion. There is no product. Thus, one of their backend people with a keyboard and their finger in the exchange's guts can do one of two things:

Too many dil per Z: Exchange rate at 400 dil per zen? Not good. Post half a million zen at 300 and watch as everybody higher than that scrambles to underbid you by 1 so that THEY get the dil.

Too few dil per Z: Exchange rate at 100 dil per zen? Not good. Buy the outstanding offers, post half a million zen at 200. Same story. People are only going to wander a point or two off the pace you set.

You can even do these things a little at a time so they are less obvious.

Supply and demand doesn't work when the supply is infinite and the entire system is privately owned.
You have no evidence that they *ARE* doing this; it is merely your supposition that they do so. Since they've stated that they do not, the burden of proof falls upon you.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 17
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
You have no evidence that they *ARE* doing this; it is merely your supposition that they do so. Since they've stated that they do not, the burden of proof falls upon you.
Not only he has no evidence but they dont have any reasons to do that.If they want less dilithium or removed from exchange they will have to "cheat" zen in game ...that is stupid.If they want less zen they will have to add dilithium in economy which is again wrong see s7 dilithium nerfs.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
I think we'll see a modest decrease in the price of Zen with respect to Dilithium.

There's less Dilithium in the system now so the price of Zen goes down.

But there's also less Zen in the system because people won't buy it because it's worth less.

Ideally, both demand and supply of Dilithium should be kept high. It needs to balanced so that even if people meet their daily refining limits, buying Zen to supplement their Dilithium income is still attractive.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
11-16-2012, 01:36 PM
What I think cryptic should do if they want more money and to make players happier is to first raise the cap on dilithium refining to 10,000 a day and make all missions drop 1440 raw dilithium, this will cause a lot of players to have excess dilithium even with the cap increase, they could then add a new doff mission with a 4 hour timer that refines 1000 dilithium, the mission would require 10 refinement tokens that would be bought from the zen store for 20 zen each which players could sell on the exchange.

People would not want to refine dilithium to buy zen for tokens because it would cost around 30,000 dilithium at 150 per zen to get the tokens they need to refine an additional 1000 dilithium. If they keep adding good fleet projects, good reputation projects and the best gear for dilithium this system should give them a steady income for years, with the current way they have things I see this game being almost empty in 6 months as they drive the casual players away.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
'Cause Cryptic has never lied. 'Nuff said.