Career Officer
# 41
11-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepiduk View Post
How anyone can defend this personal starbase crap is beyond me.

Its all very well saying that you are guranteed the mk 12 stuff in the end. But its how you get to that stage. It is BORING and it is tedious having to grind STF's just to plough the "rewards" from them into a stupid time gate just to be "rewarded" the ability to "buy" the real reward that you wanted in the first place. And how do you buy your real reward? Either grind yet more dilithium or cough up some real cash.

It is not fun at all, it is time wasting and its too darn expensive.

My solution? Increase the drop rate for the prototypes.
Agree to all these points. Cryptic made a bet thinking "grinding for everything-Starbase, embassy, Omega, Romulan and now dilithium" would keep players coming to the game...that was a retarded decision made since all it accomplished was players leaving in mass exodus to other MMOs...who the heck wants another job to grind uselessly like a freaking robot...
Lieutenant
# 42
11-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
compared to grinding them before....but not having a time limit and you could be there till the end of time.
Hence the suggestion to adjust the percent drop rate to get the mk 12 shields/deflector/impulse engines. That would have been a more acceptable solution than the current S7 dogs dinner they created.
Republic Veteran
# 43
11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepiduk View Post
Hence the suggestion to adjust the percent drop rate to get the mk 12 shields/deflector/impulse engines. That would have been a more acceptable solution than the current S7 dogs dinner they created.
nahh i like it this way.
Lieutenant
# 44
11-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
nahh i like it this way.
When the novelty wears off and you realise the dilithium and time costs involved, you might reconsider your position, but anyhow good luck
Captain
# 45
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbys1 View Post
Or they should of increase the drop rate for the Prototype Borg salvage stuff.

I think the new system is kinda confusing to be honest.

Before I ran STFs got a marker to trade in for stuff or get items to trade in for MK XII gear.
lets put it this way, I and several friends went gear hunting one day and decided to get my friend the pieces he needed...and any piece for me seeing as i had none at the time. we spent over 5 hours doing each ground elite....I got all the Very Rare PSG, Personal Weapon, Armor prototypes....he got nothing. this was almost a straight shot in the run, he spent months trying to get it. I spent a few hours. the system was very very broken.
Captain
# 46
11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader2007 View Post
Agree to all these points. Cryptic made a bet thinking "grinding for everything-Starbase, embassy, Omega, Romulan and now dilithium" would keep players coming to the game...that was a retarded decision made since all it accomplished was players leaving in mass exodus to other MMOs...who the heck wants another job to grind uselessly like a freaking robot...
And then they go to other MMOs and find the exact same thing.

Grind is the end game.

STO problem is that unlike other MMO that make you waste hours doing quests (go to contact, grab quest, walk to area, farm/grind, walk back to contact, turn in quest) things work pretty fast since travel is fast (even instantaneous) and you can turn in quests remotely and there are not that many quests to do, we level pretty fast as well so get to the end game in weeks as other MMOs takes you months to get there but the end is exactly the same.

Grind.

I can understand they cannot really create 20-30 new quests that each take about 1-2 hours to finish and even if they did, it would take us about 1-2 weeks to finish then and we back to say there is nothing to do, then what?

Yes, its a grind but a lot of the problems with STO are inherited, anything they do creates a issue ... slower leveling? not going to affect people that claim there is nothing to do because they would need to add over 100 missions that would each take 1-2 hours and they are not really in a position to do that, even if they were that would take months and of course when most of us are at lv.50 this would simply making leveling Alts harder and I guess that would be the new complain "it takes too long to level" because if anything people here find something to complain about.

You know what? the Reputation system is entirely optional because do you really need to have the Omega and Romulus powers to continue to play the game? no ... I mean PvPers sure are effected but despite their claims STO is not a PvP game, it just have PvP.

What I see here is the usual complains "I want to have EVERYTHING and I must have it NOW!" ... then what? if Starbases were something Fleets could do in a month then they would been abandoned and the Fleet "Fleet Actions" would been abandoned by now, sure its grind if you want to power level to then and yes, its annoying to have so many things behind a Tier that is weeks if not months away but then if we get everything granted to us then what?

Yes, its the grind that keeps people in because WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO? and this is not just STO, ALL MMOs do this because they know the players will rush new content faster they can deliver it, there is no way around it.

Maybe you should check TOR or any of the other MMOs to see what happens when you reach end game ... then look at STO.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 11-16-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Lieutenant
# 47
11-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Yes, its the grind that keeps people in because WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO? and this is not just STO, ALL MMOs do this because they know the players will rush new content faster they can deliver it, there is no way around it.

Maybe you should check TOR or any of the other MMOs to see what happens when you reach end game ... then look at STO.

You are 100% correct.. The whole point of playing the game, is reach end game then grind things constantly to make the best character you can make. Obtain items that everyone else then desires as well.

I liked grinding STF's in the past. Would play (on days off) for up to 8 hours straight, just repeating the STF's and Fleet Actions. (hence I have contributed well over 1.5 million to my small fleet and have numerous MK XII equipment over several characters.).

I do think this new system has great potential and merit. But surely you have to admit it is currently unbalanced, and that is what puts people off more than anything.
Captain
# 48
11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Since the timers are all 1 day 16 hours, that's you setting up either right before bed or when you get up.
Obviously you have to set the first timer right...

Outside that you have to play like 1 mission during the week then it's purely afk.
I'd go as far as to say there shouldn't be a single person on the planet with a pc that couldn't do that.

If you somehow magically is able to put on a month's worth of wasting time doing that, you are doing something wrong.

The reasoning behind killing stf rewards was that *some* people weren't getting their ground sets or weren't getting them fast enough, that the drop rate was too low.

Well, so fix the drop rate - reducing a system that worked into nothing and taking everything away that is currently great is just a uintelligent move.
You know if'd just let the reputation system be new on it's own and kept the old rewards people would be cheering right now.
Any number of easy solutions could have been made, they simply was no reason (that we have heard) to kill stf.

Then they come out and say oh ps you are refining too little dilithium, well guess what I am not bringing in ANY dilithium now outside the minimum I get for doing marks.

To me it just looks like a choice to say elite stf'ers are earning too much, casuals aren't spending enough cash and we need EVERYONE to spend more time.

Remember the initial idea was the reputation system cost you dilithium.
Re-call on that change shows it's not necessary game changes that abosolutely had to be made and they went too far in demanding things from us - even for their own taste...

And to me that's not what new content should be about, how much more can you squeeze out of me before I go under.

Season 7 could have been so great, what a waste of time for everyone.
Survivor of Romulus
# 49
11-17-2012, 03:57 AM
if the stuff still dropped it would be better.
Captain
# 50
11-17-2012, 09:21 AM
I like the new system... much better than the random stuff. Thank good.. and you do not have to do STF you don't like.

Yes, I do worry how much the items will cost once the store gets more. Dilithium is hard to get these days.

+ you have to reach 50 before you can do Rep system. Its not a big complain, so I can live with it.

I do wish they would add more dilithium sources.