Career Officer
# 91
11-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
It's nice to think that your purchases go straight to Cryptic and as a consequence back into the game, but they don't.

Cryptic is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PWE - every nickel you spend goes into PWE's pockets then they decide what proportion of that they want to spend on Cryptic or their other projects.

Paying these crazy prices doesn't guarantee that Cryptic will get more money. All it guarantees is that they'll be told to make more ships and continue charging these prices (or more, if they can get away with it).

The WoT story is nice though - something like that I could support since it benefits many more people than just the Devs/Publishers.
This is correct,

PW bought Cryptic Studios and it's games for $50 Million Dollars. Up to the 2nd Qtr this year PW made $24 Million dollars in net profit...

They have shareholders and staff to pay, they have projects that aren't retail yet requiring expenditure (Neverwinter)

and most of all they have fat bonus' to pay themselves.

People who think that the money they spend goes back to Cryptic to improve the game are so completely ignorant of how business works that it's not even funny. Heck all you have to do is look at the game it's a half assed bug filled mess at the moment that needs some serious TLC.
Career Officer
# 92
11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
This is correct,

PW bought Cryptic Studios and it's games for $50 Million Dollars. Up to the 2nd Qtr this year PW made $24 Million dollars in net profit...

They have shareholders and staff to pay, they have projects that aren't retail yet requiring expenditure (Neverwinter)

and most of all they have fat bonus' to pay themselves.

People who think that the money they spend goes back to Cryptic to improve the game are so completely ignorant of how business works that it's not even funny. Heck all you have to do is look at the game it's a half assed bug filled mess at the moment that needs some serious TLC.
To be fair, the current bugs popped up when season 7 was implemented. It happens with EVERY game. Before it was implemented i never encountered any bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 93
11-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I keep reading "If it was a little cheaper, I'd have bought it!" and the only thing I can think is "...never worked sales, have you?"

I'm a sales person. My main product sells for 25 bucks. It sells for that amount because, after all the dust has settled, I make anywhere from 2 to 4 bucks profit on each sale (the dust being things like 'rent for the location' and 'payroll' and what not). Yet I have people every single day tell me how they'd buy five if I'd sell them for 10 bucks.

My response? "Oh goody. I'd sell just enough to have completely lost money on the sale! Exactly what I want!"

Are Z-Store ships expensive? Sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're priced in such a way to cover costs, and have only a few bucks profit left over. Sure, they *could* sell them cheaper...and make no profit. And if a business isn't making profit, they're not gonna stay open. It's called the free market. Perhaps people should study it a little before they talk about costs.
Lieutenant
# 94
11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post

But as it is, selling 3 vesta ships, with the only differences being extra consoles slots, and not providing certain specifications in the C-store, is extremly unappealing. The onyl reason they added that awful ship is because a minority of people think that the 'Destiny' books are super-awesome (even though, frankly, the three 40th Anniversary Crucible books are far superior to any other Star Trek books written; akin to Dan Simmons 'Hyperion' series).
Hoooo i love Hyperion series it was the best sci/fi books i read.

Honestly i don't know what think about the way who take this game, i start STO in the beta (closed beta i think, not sure) and at the start i was surprise by the store but it was only cosmetic things, and with the time they start to sell ship and really better ship. But it was really optionnal for enjoy the game but i was worry about that.

Now we need dilithium for everything, even for make EC. We need dil for fleetbase, for ship for stuff for EC ....

What i don't i s when you are gold member ( you py a subscription) or lifer in fact you have the same limitation than free member because even if you have Zen each month you need pay more if you want enjoy the game and all the features.

I can understand the shop and the lockbox ( i still think is a good idea for make money) BUT stop forget people who pay every months or the lifer

We support you !!! we give money every months and now we need to pay in plus like all free members ?????? i can't deal with that !
Career Officer
# 95
11-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara445 View Post
Hoooo i love Hyperion series it was the best sci/fi books i read.

Honestly i don't know what think about the way who take this game, i start STO in the beta (closed beta i think, not sure) and at the start i was surprise by the store but it was only cosmetic things, and with the time they start to sell ship and really better ship. But it was really optional for enjoy the game but i was worry about that.

Now we need dilithium for everything, even for make EC. We need dil for fleetbase, for ship for stuff for EC ....

What i don't i s when you are gold member ( you py a subscription) or lifer in fact you have the same limitation than free member because even if you have Zen each month you need pay more if you want enjoy the game and all the features.

I can understand the shop and the lockbox ( i still think is a good idea for make money) BUT stop forget people who pay every months or the lifer

We support you !!! we give money every months and now we need to pay in plus like all free members ?????? i can't deal with that !
Well the 3 vesta ships are, as some gamers state, 'a money pit'. I don't mind opening boxes, here and there. I've racked up about 702 Lobi crystals and aslmost have enough for a Temporal Destroyer. Before that, I used the Lobi crystals i had to buy the first temporal set.
So obviously the point in this example is that players can be motivated to buy unique ships like that and their complimentary equipment because they are actually unique. But having a generic ship - that are inferior to the Odyssey science cruiser - like the vesta, only idiots will buy it because they don't know any better.

P.S. the series Illium and Olympus by Dan Simmons is very awesome as well
Career Officer
# 96
11-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Quote:
To be fair, the current bugs popped up when season 7 was implemented. It happens with EVERY game. Before it was implemented i never encountered any bugs.
No, no I'm not talking about new bugs I'm talking about legacy ones, ones that are still in the game from seasons ago, of which there are many, I'd say a good 15-20% of episode missions still contain bugs that can stop them from being completed.

Just go look at the Gameplay bugs thread , clearly you're not playing that much if you've never encountered any bugs before Season 7.
Captain
# 97
11-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Quote:
then we must have been playing different games.

there are bugs everywhere even before season 7, hell even before season 6.. and season 5...

there are some bugs that go back to release and some of them have been reclassified from bugs to "working as intended".

the infamous "if you do anything" decloaking bug that has plagued the klingons for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 98
11-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylawson View Post
Are Z-Store ships expensive? Sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're priced in such a way to cover costs, and have only a few bucks profit left over. Sure, they *could* sell them cheaper...and make no profit. And if a business isn't making profit, they're not gonna stay open. It's called the free market. Perhaps people should study it a little before they talk about costs.
Oh really,

People estimate this game has between 25,000 and 100,000 players. Personally I'm going to go with a conservative estimate of say 40,000.... now lets say 1/5th of the player base buy the 3 pack... that's $400,000.

How much time in 3D max do you think it takes to build a ship like the Vesta? How much money in electricity costs do you think it is to make it?

Seriously...

I reckon at best it cost them no more than $40,000 to build the Vesta, based on these very dodgy calculations. (remember a good designer is probably on $80,000 per year at most so I really don't think it took more than 3 months and two designers to do, do you??
Career Officer
# 99
11-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
then we must have been playing different games.

there are bugs everywhere even before season 7, hell even before season 6.. and season 5...

there are some bugs that go back to release and some of them have been reclassified from bugs to "working as intended".

the infamous "if you do anything" decloaking bug that has plagued the klingons for example.
well I've been playing for about a year.
OK maybe not NO bugs at all, but there WERE little things. I was impying i haven't encountered any MAJOR bugs before s7 was implemented
Lt. Commander
# 100
11-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Oh really,

People estimate this game has between 25,000 and 100,000 players. Personally I'm going to go with a conservative estimate of say 40,000.... now lets say 1/5th of the player base buy the 3 pack... that's $400,000.

How much time in 3D max do you think it takes to build a ship like the Vesta? How much money in electricity costs do you think it is to make it?

Seriously...

I reckon at best it cost them no more than $40,000 to build the Vesta, based on these very dodgy calculations. (remember a good designer is probably on $80,000 per year at most so I really don't think it took more than 3 months and two designers to do, do you??
It's a F2P game. They have all the fixed costs of servers, designers for each new season, etc. That $400k has to cover all that as well.