Empire Veteran
# 21
11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Since they like putting out numbers, here's some fictional numbers:

Let's say the game had exactly 100,000 people playing it total. F2P, Gold, and Lifers.

Of that, 16,000 would be Klingon players, the others Feds.

Of the 100k as well, .02%, right? Which if you calculated that out, .0002 if I am doing my maths right, would mean only a mere 20 people PvPed. Of those 20, 3.2 of those would be Klingon players.

Even if a million people play this game, that would still boil down to only 200 people PvPing, 32 of which would be Klingon players.

That said...

I can't help but feel it's just another number they pulled outta nowhere.

BUT if it is a true and realistic number, then instead of using that to tell us why they haven't done a lot of PvP related stuff, instead they need to say to themselves, 'Ok, only .02% of the players PvP, why is that?"

Same goes for the KDF, they need to say, '16% of all players play Klingons, how can we get more people to play them?'

In turn, if they do look at it like that, and make some progress on furthering things in those more neglected areas, it would improve the game as a whole, and more people would look at these parts and instead of saying, 'look at that part of the game, they don't have ANY updates or new things to do over there', then totally ignore it. Instead, it should be like, 'oh wow, there is this entirely new open PvP system, which lets you control territory and fight other players', and so on.

Use 'metrics' to tell us 'why we need to work on this' instead of 'why we don't want to work on this'. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, if all the links are equally strong, the entire game will be strong, and if they aren't strong...just look at the game we have now to tell you what it is like.

Edit: Btw, Roach, if you are reading this, is your signature still for 'rent'?

Lt. Commander
# 22
11-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Since they like putting out numbers, here's some fictional numbers:

Let's say the game had exactly 100,000 people playing it total. F2P, Gold, and Lifers.

Of that, 16,000 would be Klingon players, the others Feds.

Of the 100k as well, .02%, right? Which if you calculated that out, .0002 if I am doing my maths right, would mean only a mere 20 people PvPed. Of those 20, 3.2 of those would be Klingon players.

Even if a million people play this game, that would still boil down to only 200 people PvPing, 32 of which would be Klingon players.

That said...

I can't help but feel it's just another number they pulled outta nowhere.

BUT if it is a true and realistic number, then instead of using that to tell us why they haven't done a lot of PvP related stuff, instead they need to say to themselves, 'Ok, only .02% of the players PvP, why is that?"

Same goes for the KDF, they need to say, '16% of all players play Klingons, how can we get more people to play them?'

In turn, if they do look at it like that, and make some progress on furthering things in those more neglected areas, it would improve the game as a whole, and more people would look at these parts and instead of saying, 'look at that part of the game, they don't have ANY updates or new things to do over there', then totally ignore it. Instead, it should be like, 'oh wow, there is this entirely new open PvP system, which lets you control territory and fight other players', and so on.

Use 'metrics' to tell us 'why we need to work on this' instead of 'why we don't want to work on this'. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, if all the links are equally strong, the entire game will be strong, and if they aren't strong...just look at the game we have now to tell you what it is like.

Edit: Btw, Roach, if you are reading this, is your signature still for 'rent'?
a million players....ROFL. You see what I mean by that percentage being crazy though.

When they said that, I have to believe there were AT LEAST a hundred pvp'ers out there. Maybe not hardcore players that were always in premades and used OPVP, but still pvp'd on a regular basis. Hell, 1AQ alone, which is a pve fleet, had ~15 players that pvp'd at the time. I SERIOUSLY doubt that there were a half a million players playing STO to represent the 100 pvp'ers.
Rihannsu
# 23
11-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Honestly, the two most important Stated Questions were just asked..

If only .02% Are PVPing, how can they increase that?

And If only 32% are Klingon, how can they increase that?

That is what they should be asking. And probobly do about the Klingon side.. But in reality I think it's more like this:

.02% Are PvPing, how do we move them to PVE?

32% Are playing Klingon, how do we get them to play fed?

At least that is how I personally see things with the way Ships, and content gets released each season and in between.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Captain
# 24
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
Honestly, the two most important Stated Questions were just asked..

If only .02% Are PVPing, how can they increase that?

And If only 32% are Klingon, how can they increase that?

That is what they should be asking. And probobly do about the Klingon side.. But in reality I think it's more like this:

.02% Are PvPing, how do we move them to PVE?

32% Are playing Klingon, how do we get them to play fed?

At least that is how I personally see things with the way Ships, and content gets released each season and in between.
Sadly, webdeath. I believe you have unraveled the mystery called PvE.
Captain
# 25
11-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
Hasn't the processor thingy always given 1k per five?
All the missions I started patch day one where set at 15k.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Career Officer
# 26
11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by upyournacelles2 View Post
Being able to do PvP in a Star Trek Universe is the only thing that makes this game interesting for me.

If u remove PvP this game is nothing more then HelloKittyOnline with Starships.

I hate the stupid grind and the state of the game is chickensh... atm.

Last edited by kingscorpio78; 11-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscorpio78 View Post
Being able to do PvP in a Star Trek Universe is the only thing that makes this game interesting for me.

If u remove PvP this game is nothing more then HelloKittyOnline with Starships.

I hate the stupid grind and the state of the game is chickensh... atm.
hmm...haven't had the chance to play hellokitty yet. PVP is the only real endgame content that isn't a complete drag. Really, how can running the same stf over and over again be fun? PvP is the only real challenge left since players aren't nearly as predictable as the same exact pve mission is over and over again
Career Officer
# 28
11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Why would they lie? If it was a significant portion of the player base, there would be money in it, so they would invest more time to earn more money out of it. They are a business, not a conspiracy to deprive anyone of PvP fun.
sadly this. i have to agree with him. fist time for everything? just go into ques hope for a good match and thats it. im going more into pve any how. its more fun. i get to use torps, and beta. im not moving on due to how nice the maps the devs created and i have fun flying my ship around. just everyone has to get use to the idea that this is a major pve game and not much of a pvp game. pvp is only ment to sit back and take a break from grinding.