Captain
# 1 Tac oddy or Excelsior?
11-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Ok guys, your opinions on which of these is better, the Tac oddy (without set) or the Excelsior? (Eng captain)

I have both and was taking them out for ESTFs today running the following builds

Excelsior
Weapons
Fore: Q torp Mk XII [Borg], 3x tetryon (Various variants all blue and purple Mk XI and higher)
Aft: As above

Equipment
Full Mk XII M.A.C.O

Consoles
Eng: EPS flow reg Mk XI (Blue, really does help), 2x Neutronium Mk XI (Blue), Borg console
Sci: 2x Field Gen Mk XI (Blue)
Tac: 3x Tetryon pulse gen Mk XI (Blue)

BOFFs
LTC Tac: TT 1, FAW 2, AP:B 2
CMDR Eng: EPtW 1, RSP 1, Aux2SIF 2, EWP 3
LT Eng: EPtS 1&2
ENS Eng: EPtW 1
LT Sci: ST 1, TSS 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oddy
Weapons
See Excelsior

Equipment
See Excelsior

Consoles
Eng: See Excelsior
Sci: 2x Field gen Mk XI (Blue), Tac oddy console
Tac: See Excelsior

BOFFs
LT Tac: TT 1, AP:B 1
ENS Tac (Uni): FAW 1
CMDR Eng: EPtS 1&2, Aux2SIF 2, EWP 3
LTC Eng (Uni): EPtW 1&2, RSP 2
LT Sci: ST 1, TSS 2

DOFFs are the same for both

Ok, so which do you think should be the better build here and why?
Captain
# 2
11-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Only question I currently have is what are you DOffs?

I also want to know what you're going for. Are you going for damage, survivability, or utility?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 3
11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Only question I currently have is what are you DOffs?
2x conn officer (Blue, tac team), 1 projectile doff (Purple), 1 Matter anit-matter (Green),1 Warp-core eng (Green)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I also want to know what you're going for. Are you going for damage, survivability, or utility?
A balance of DPS/Tank, which my Excelsior does very well (as you well know )
Captain
# 4
11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
2x conn officer (Blue, tac team), 1 projectile doff (Purple), 1 Matter anit-matter (Green),1 Warp-core eng (Green)

A balance of DPS/Tank, which my Excelsior does very well (as you well know )
Due to your lack of purple DOffs, I would say your best bet is probably the Excelsior, since it's the most forgiving of the two if you accidentally mess up. But you really should invest in purple conn officers, and at least one purple DC engineer. I would also recommend you make that WCE a purple if you can. They are moderately cheap on the exchange (all of them cept the conn officers), and DC engis are kind of a necessity if you really want to unlock the full potential of the Oddy, without them you can't run easily off of just one engi BOff (which I do). As WC engis go, if you're rank 4 in engineering, you can get one from Ferra.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Captain
# 5
11-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Well that's the thing you see between those two builds that should have pretty much the same capabilities (though the Oddy should tank better) the Excelsior performs better, hangs in the fight longer against the ISE boss (20% solo compared to the Oddy not seeing 50%) so yeah, I was well and truely confused so... hey, I will learn my lesson and stick with my Excelsior
Captain
# 6
11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Well that's the thing you see between those two builds that should have pretty much the same capabilities (though the Oddy should tank better) the Excelsior performs better, hangs in the fight longer against the ISE boss (20% solo compared to the Oddy not seeing 50%) so yeah, I was well and truely confused so... hey, I will learn my lesson and stick with my Excelsior
Without the Chevron Sep, you didn't have the movement speed of the Excel, nor did you have the added maneuverability or response time as a direct result. So of course the Excel would stick around for longer, since it can actually dodge and move around better. That is worth a lot more than you think. Unless you build the Oddy pure tank with the engi consoles, you will basically have a flying target.

Besides, you know what a decently built oddy can do. =P
Captain
# 7
11-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I know exactly what the Excelsior is worth, I think it's by far the most pleasant ship in the game with possibly the best balance of atk/def of the games fixed boff layouts.

But I have seen what the oddy is capable of which is why I decided to revise my build and try it out again but I'll stick to my Excelsior as she performs better for me