Captain
# 11
11-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectamabob View Post
I'd like one of those fugly mangy things Kruge had. The one that made his boff's eyes go wide with fear when ordered to "feed him", as if that meant feeding it his own hand.

Warrigals look pretty close, though I dunno if they're actually supposed to be the same thing.

That or a jackal mastiff, like the Rura Penthe warden in ST-VI.

They seem like the more, dare I say it, badass of the Klingon "pets" seen on screen. I was never sold on targs on account of them utterly failing to look like anything other than the pigs in wigs used to film them (on TNG at least, IIRC they were bad CGI on ENT).

Can't even remember the Epohhs, and the memory alpha wiki doesn't have an entry. I'm guessing that was maybe a one-off background critter somewhere? Like maybe some TOS ambassador's fashion accessory pet, or something some kids were seen playing with on TNG one time, or something?
I couldn't find a reference in either the fiction, or wikis, to Epohhs, but then, I looked at the word in a mirror, and thought about "New Romulus"...and realized it must be a port over from some failed PWE project.

Drop one "h" and reverse the spelling..."Hope"...yah, like that's neither cheesy, nor out of place.
Captain
# 12
11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
come one get this crap out of my star trek. if people want pets the should play pokemon.

name one episode where the captins have pets that follow them around on missions and or fight.

get this crap out of star trek.

this is just one more reason why cryptic should never have got its hands on the IP
This. I came back to check out what the new patches brought to the game and honestly, afte reading the forums I don't want to log in at all. STO has nothing to do with Star Trek for a long while now, but now it seems it get's even more manga-style generic sci-fi crap on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectamabob View Post
I was never sold on targs on account of them utterly failing to look like anything other than the pigs in wigs used to film them (on TNG at least, IIRC they were bad CGI on ENT).
Never faced a wild boar I guess?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

Last edited by angrytarg; 11-17-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Got nothing to do with how fierce real pigs can be. Got to do with how alien real pigs aren't. Jackal mastiff was payed by a dog in a suit, and looked enough not like a dog to be alien (for a space opera value of alien). Targ just looked like a pig in a wig.
Captain
# 14
11-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
come one get this crap out of my star trek. if people want pets the should play pokemon.

name one episode where the captins have pets that follow them around on missions and or fight.

get this crap out of star trek.

this is just one more reason why cryptic should never have got its hands on the IP
-----------------
Archer from Enterprise had a dog

He just ate cheese though
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci
Career Officer
# 15
11-17-2012, 02:45 AM
If you don't like pets, don't use them, it's not really something that ruins the game for you.

I am in full support of a Targ breeding program, it'd be nice to have targ pups grow to full size and be able to use them in combat, especially since it would fit well with Klingon canon. No doubt that'll never happen though as the Klingons are like the disfigured step child, whom Cryptic barley acknowledge, let alone care for.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Ensign
# 16
11-17-2012, 05:30 AM
It's just a slightly modified targ model. It's pretty obvious Crptic went cheap on the design.
Captain
# 17
11-17-2012, 05:44 AM
The problem with war targs (which would make sense) would be that immediately people would demand TOTAL BALANCE and the blue side had to get exactly the same equalling "Starfleet" officers driving some made-up species of pets in bloody close combat battles. To avoid that scenario it may be better to not include battle targs.

Or Cryptic does what they should have done from the beginning: Ditch the Star Trek license and create their own confusing sci-fi franchise, something they obviously wanted from the beginning...
-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
Commander
# 18
11-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Pets are part of the game and have always been part of Star Trek canon. Just because the ingenuity of movie and show makers didn't proceed far down that road doesn't mean it isn't Star Trek or canon. At least 2 of the major motion pictures featured Klingons using targs, 1 used the white horned furry mastiff beast, and STO Targ Handlers make it the standard, so the "not Star Trek" whining is pointless.

Epohhs exist only here and probably cater to PWEs silly little manga East Asia style. They have absolutely NO place in Trek yet development time was put into them instead of targ content that was asked for.

For the Fed/KDF balance issue, well, so what? The Fed side gets tribbles and their advantages and maybe mugatos. KDF gets targs. Problem solved. It isn't all about this fictitious myth of "fair play" called balance. That is arbitrary game rules. Such arbitrary concerns damage MMO immersion.
Just say no to ARC

Last edited by tancrediiv; 11-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
Or Cryptic does what they should have done from the beginning: Ditch the Star Trek license and create their own confusing sci-fi franchise, something they obviously wanted from the beginning...
Meh it would be dead in a week.

Lets face it - if STO was some generic sci-fi setting, not Star Trek, it would be dead in S6, not to mention S7
May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
At least 2 of the major motion pictures featured Klingons using targs.
Bit of a nitpick, but, targs never showed up in any of the movies. There's a mastiff in ST-VI and a... thing... which might be a warrigal in ST-III. Targs got mentions in passing since TOS, but the first time one was ever actually shown was in TNG. Regardlee, you're right that they are canon.

Back on topic, targ breeding, or at the very least targ combat pets do make sense. They're canon, they're already fielded by Klingon NPC groups encountered as enemies by Fed players, and we've got that targ breeder already conspicuously set up across from the crafting are on Qo'Nos.

...Personally, I feel that war targs should be an anachronism that stopped being used by the Klingon military before TNG even. Star Trek has a big problem with aggressively grandfathering and retconning stuff across the franchise timeline, creating a statis-quo effect where for centuries nothing actually changes or advances beyond the superficial. Battle targs are one of those things that shouldn't exist beyond the ENT era (and transporters shouldn't exist before TOS, "aztec paneling" shouldn't exist before TMP, etc). But that's just my opinion, and this is an MMO, so it's understandable that lots of compromises have to be made.

In regards to balance, I'd actually prefer that come in a form other than just giving Feds an equivalent pet. Give them a combat ability Klinks can't get, or a craftable weapon class Klinks can't use. Balance things out in a way that creates tactical complexity, not in a ham-fistedly simple force-against-force way.

If you really had to just give Feds some kind of equivalent combat pets, I'd suggest exocomps. That way gives a little bit of tactical trade-off balance (ranged vs. melee), and is more fitting with canon styling than Feds fielding war animals. The combat drones are arguably already similar, but there's a lot you could do with AI, weapons loadout, etc to distinguish them.

Last edited by connectamabob; 11-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.